Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Some AA domestic flights departing LAX TBIT "international" terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA and the LAX TBIT - Tom Bradley International Terminal
AA has four TBIT gates, and some international and domestic flights depart there

There is currently one way to transfer airside between AA Terminal 4 and TBIT: The airside connector. See LAX AA T-4 - TBIT secure airside connector open 25 Feb 2016

There is a oneworld Alliance lounge accessible to those departing on eligible oneworld marketed and operated flights, operated by Qantas (not a Qantas Club) and Qantas First lounge within. These are not open to Admirals Club members unless they are departing on qualified flights.

American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for (oneworld) lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
See LAX / Los Angeles Int'l. TBIT / Bradley International oneworld Lounge

Updated 03 Oct 2016 - JD
Print Wikipost

Some AA domestic flights departing LAX TBIT "international" terminal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by cmd320
There is no reason that they should. AA elites do not receive complimentary lounge access on domestic itineraries.
AA elites don't receive complimentary lounge access to AA lounges on domestic itineraries. AA members could, in theory, access the oneworld J lounge or QF F lounge in TBIT under oneworld rules. Access would be entirely up to the lounge staff at the time.
It depends on what, if anything, AA has told the non AA oneworld lounges in North America.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Himeno
AA elites don't receive complimentary lounge access to AA lounges on domestic itineraries. AA members could, in theory, access the oneworld J lounge or QF F lounge in TBIT under oneworld rules. Access would be entirely up to the lounge staff at the time.
It depends on what, if anything, AA has told the non AA oneworld lounges in North America.
The Oneworld rules at http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access seem to specifically exclude AAdvantage elites from OW lounge access on an AA domestic flight:

The following exceptions apply:

2. American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

The rules do suggest (via the lack of a relevant exception in that section) you might get access if you are flying first class. But I suspect I'm missing something.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I'm still interested in the lounge question. I highly doubt that the QF First lounge will admit an AA EXP traveling LAX-MCO....
There is no reason that they should. AA elites do not receive complimentary lounge access on domestic itineraries.
Sounds like a big disadvantage for AC members
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jona970318
Sounds like a big disadvantage for AC members

That is exactly my point. If AA starts operating a significant number of domestic flights from TBIT BEFORE the connector opens, there will be a big disadvantage for paid AC members and also for those who are eligible for lounge access under AA's internal lounge access policies (such as transcon, active military on orders, etc) because there will not be a lounge in TBIT that has the same policies.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Himeno
As was mentioned, and in the interest of ultimate clarity, this is not correct.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
All F passengers flying MIA-LAX receive complimentary lounge access regardless of elite status or how they paid for their F ticket (paid/elite upgrade/miles). MIA departures are the most common from TBIT, so lounge access is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed, if it hasn't already.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
All F passengers flying MIA-LAX receive complimentary lounge access regardless of elite status or how they paid for their F ticket (paid/elite upgrade/miles). MIA departures are the most common from TBIT, so lounge access is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed, if it hasn't already.
Time for a 3rd LAX AC!

In all seriousness they have figured it out in T6 with reciprocal AS Board Room access. Feel they could figure something out here. While my experience is limited I do not think the OW lounge in TBIT is too crowded during the day. Just later at night
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, but that complimentary transcon lounge access is an AA-specific policy and has nothing to do with oneworld. AA does not operate any of its own lounges in TBIT. So, the oneworld partners operating the lounges there will not recognize MIA-LAX F passengers as eligible to use the lounges (unless they have non-AA OW status or are connecting from/to an eligible international OW flight in F/J).
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
True, but that complimentary transcon lounge access is an AA-specific policy and has nothing to do with oneworld. AA does not operate any of its own lounges in TBIT. So, the oneworld partners operating the lounges there will not recognize MIA-LAX F passengers as eligible to use the lounges (unless they have non-AA OW status or are connecting from/to an eligible international OW flight in F/J).
I never said that the OW lounge will recognize. But it is a serious probably if AA is regularly operating LAX-MIA flights from TBIT and is not doing anything about lounge access.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never said that the OW lounge will recognize. But it is a serious probably if AA is regularly operating LAX-MIA flights from TBIT and is not doing anything about lounge access.

I guess so. QF will start to get some revenue for letting AA pax into its lounges!! (or perhaps they will renegotiate the current deal....presumably currently AA gets some revenue from QF every time QF pax enter the AC over in T4)
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Slightly ot, but on a related note, was anyone able to access the QF F lounge flying transcon F as an EXP? I feel like from the wording on oneworld.com it seem to be permitted, bolding mine:

"First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights...customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access."

The wording seems to suggest that lounge access is possible as long as its not an AA/US lounge. Further, transcon routes are eligible for lounge access.

Anyone else read differently?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jona970318
Slightly ot, but on a related note, was anyone able to access the QF F lounge flying transcon F as an EXP? I feel like from the wording on oneworld.com it seem to be permitted, bolding mine:

"First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines or US Airways lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights...customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access."

The wording seems to suggest that lounge access is possible as long as its not an AA/US lounge. Further, transcon routes are eligible for lounge access.

Anyone else read differently?
I'm not an expert on transcon lounge access outside of the normal rules, but if it were to place money on it I would bet against QF allowing an AA F customer access to the TBIT QF lounge. At least not without some kind of reciprocal agreement in place specifically mentioning US Premium Transcons.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; Priority Club-Platinum
Today's transfer to AA 1297 LAX-MIA required re-clearing security at TBIT with no TSA pre-check (why should TSA, as almost all departures are international?) and no first/premium class line.

Thankfully, the lines were short. But since AA sent out message to get TSA pre-check for five years and $85, rather than have no pre-check show up on your BP occasionally, it is agravating to be forced to change terminals and go to one without pre-check at one of the world's largest airports.

Solution, add the shuttle stop. Yes, there is a wait of a max 15 minutes @44, but leaving T-4, walking over, going to rear of ticketing, waiting in line, taking off shoes, belts, etc. Good grief. Nine times out of ten it will save time and aggravation.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by rploehn
Today's transfer to AA 1297 LAX-MIA required re-clearing security at TBIT with no TSA pre-check (why should TSA, as almost all departures are international?) and no first/premium class line.

Thankfully, the lines were short. But since AA sent out message to get TSA pre-check for five years and $85, rather than have no pre-check show up on your BP occasionally, it is agravating to be forced to change terminals and go to one without pre-check at one of the world's largest airports.

Solution, add the shuttle stop. Yes, there is a wait of a max 15 minutes @44, but leaving T-4, walking over, going to rear of ticketing, waiting in line, taking off shoes, belts, etc. Good grief. Nine times out of ten it will save time and aggravation.
Long term solution is that there is a post-security connector being built between T-4 and TBIT. ETA is TBD, but some say by the end of this year.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Although it's a couple of months old, this seems to be the latest report on LAWA's website. On page 39, it projects that the walkway will be completed in late February and the whole connector project in late May. Not clear exactly when that means the walkway is expected to be open to the public.

Program Status Report newsletter 5/31/15
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...al-Website.pdf

Latest target date is 25 May 16, but status is "Requires Mitigation"

The project schedule was impacted by the discovery of
unknown utilities which necessitated re-designing the
foundation in the landside area. The project team is working
with the contractor to mitigate any further delay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.