Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA flyer revisits AA after long hiatus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by no1cub17
OT, but just out of curiosity are UA clubs actually strict about not allowing outside food in? That would really piss me off if ACs started doing that. No reason I can't bring my tortas frontera into the club - odds are I'm going to pay for a premium drink anyway.
In the UC, you aren't bringing in any outside food. They are very strict. Your dining options consist of a never-changing snack variety of cheese, crackers, carrots, yogurt balls, snack mix and cookies. At breakfast, they have some breads, a toaster, butter, jelly and cream cheese.

If I'm forgetting something, I'm sure that someone here will correct it. I assure you, however, that it is nothing substantial. Aside from the cheese, it's carbs, carbs or carbs.

Edit: CHEAP carbs.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Welcome to the fold. I rejoined after a 25 year hiatus with maybe 10 segments on AA that entire time.

It's been great.

It would be cool if full fare F domestic always got AC access, at least on TCONs.

Btw your amex plat would have allowed to use the centurion loumge.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by boss315
I feel that same way..I had to pinch myself to make sure I was awake and alive on the first AA flight last fall..and almost every time since.....I was so used to surly/unreliable UA that I thought I had died and gone to heaven (probably too much hyperbole there...)
I fly both airlines regularly and I really have no idea what people are talking about when they make comparisons like this. Both airlines have their pluses and minuses, and I have found no significant differences between them on my wanderings. Too much hyperbole? Ya think?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I fly both airlines regularly and I really have no idea what people are talking about when they make comparisons like this. Both airlines have their pluses and minuses, and I have found no significant differences between them on my wanderings. Too much hyperbole? Ya think?
Glad to see sensible, thoughtful reports like this in such a thread-- people really go nuts with this "XX Stinks!!!" "would rather walk or swim than fly XX!"

It get's so stupid at a certain point.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Right now, I have AA lounge access through the Citi card (the black one) and UA lounge access through *G status. I don't know if I will retain either beyond 2015...both would require commitment (either in dollars or parking frequent-flier miles in a place where it is tough to get them back out). However, if things are remotely close to even, I'd select the AA lounges 100 times out of 100 over UA.

Food/bev are light-years better, the people are friendlier, and the lounges themselves are less crowded.

I've had years as UA 1K and years as AA Plat (never quite EXP...sadly). At the end of the day, I pick one based on where I'm flying that year...don't love or hate either one enough to spend unnecessary time in either of their hubs if the other fits my needs better. But I have to admit, I have always enjoyed flying AA more...in general, feel like the people on the front line are just better all around. It becomes especially noticeable if you end up on a lot of RJ's...the UX operation feels like subcontractor hell whereas the AE operation feels a bit more AA-like.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
...if things are remotely close to even, I'd select the AA lounges 100 times out of 100 over UA.

Food/bev are light-years better, the people are friendlier, and the lounges themselves are less crowded.
Agree, although the UA Club at LHR T2 is an exception. Excellent lounge.

Originally Posted by pinniped
...the UX operation feels like subcontractor hell whereas the AE operation feels a bit more AA-like.
I would also give the edge to whatever the AA regional-jet subsidiary is called these days. Mainline is comparable in my experience...and I think UA's revised meal schedule may be better than AA's and the food itself is improving on UA as well.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Glad to see sensible, thoughtful reports like this in such a thread-- people really go nuts with this "XX Stinks!!!" "would rather walk or swim than fly XX!"

It get's so stupid at a certain point.

I've never flown an "I'm never flying UA again" tantrum. I probably will (fly UA again, not throw a tantrum). I'm just glad I don't have to, and I've got a lot of options in my area.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, I threw the "I'm never flying UA again" tantrum in 2000 during one of their "job actions".

Then I was back as a 1K again in the mid-2000's. If you gotta go west from MCI, you kind of have no choice but to go through Denver for many destinations. By then, I figured whatever union was behind the job action had suffered quite a bit, and spending all eternity connecting through Dallas to get to San Francisco would have been like poking myself in the eye and expecting that union to feel the pain. So I got over it...and UA was mostly okay during those years.

Then 757's turned into CR7's which turned into Dash-8's, and I'm kind of glad I'm not doing all that travel anymore.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I can relate to this. I flew almost 99 percent CO and UA since the late 1990's but now I fly other airlines. I have AA several times to Miami and Key West recently and have enjoyed everything.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
I don't have the luxury of throwing a tantrum since my choices out of CLT are... wait for it.... US Air (AA going forward). Yes, Yes I could do hops to ATL and fly Delta but I'd rather not double my exposure to Murphy and the Airlines teaming up to <redacted> the pooch.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2015 at 10:01 pm Reason: Rules - offensive
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

To be blunt, I no longer need to maximize miles with any particular carrier but I will be flying AA when I have a non-stop choice, or when it offers equally convenient or atrocious connections. And, I will be flying biz or first. I might even be willing to fly selected long-hauls (e.g., SFO-CDG) with a single connection on AA. We're currently booked biz on AF non-stop SFO-CDG-SFO in July but considering re-booking on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.