Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

different mileage rates on LA compared to QF for AA award AKL-SYD ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat

HI
Just went to book an award seat using AAmiles AKL to SYD in Business on Lan and expected it to price at 17,500 miles but was told that is only on QF and for LA it is now 30,000 miles .
Does anybody know if this is a recent change ?
I've searched the AA website and I can only find the 17,500 mileage level and there is no disclaimer for Lan flights .....

Also the agent said that QF codeshares on domestic Jetstar flights in NZ connecting with international flights are no longer possible on award bookings .... I've bee able to do this in the past ...

Any light that can be shed would be appreciated!

Many thanks
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by pianoperson
Just went to book an award seat using AAmiles AKL to SYD in Business on Lan and expected it to price at 17,500 miles but was told that is only on QF and for LA it is now 30,000 miles .
I've searched the AA website and I can only find the 17,500 mileage level and there is no disclaimer for Lan flights .....
I assume you are looking at the oneWorld and other airline award chart. You will find the 30,000 rate by looking at the last row and column (South Pacific to South Pacific). I recall that the "wholly within one country" rate (the 17,500 you refer to) is only available on Qantas. I don't believe that is a recent change.

Also the agent said that QF codeshares on domestic Jetstar flights in NZ connecting with international flights are no longer possible on award bookings
Jetstar flights have not been available on awards for some time, maybe 5+ years.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:41 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the AA board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, there is a rule ( though like most AAdvantage rules not visible to be seen ) , that the 10k/17.5k one way journey within Australia/New Zealand is only available on Qantas

For Travel on Lan, need to use Within south Pacific award of 30K in business

Qantas does offer awards on its codeshare on LA and if it is possible to book that ( I am not sure whether you can ) then that would be at 10k/17.5k I believe

As far as domestic connection within NZ, this used to be possible when Qantas offered U/X class on its codeshares on Jetstar however Qantas no longer offers codeshare award availability on Jetstar
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pianoperson
HI

Also the agent said that QF codeshares on domestic Jetstar flights in NZ connecting with international flights are no longer possible on award bookings .... I've bee able to do this in the past ...

Any light that can be shed would be appreciated!

Many thanks
Yes, it's a fact, to get the "wholly within" rate must use QF-- definitely not recent, first came to light in 2009:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=3747

And, no, you cannot book the QF #'d flight operated by LA as an AAdv award on this route-- it's either QF at the lower rate or LAN at the higher.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 24, 2015 at 11:13 pm Reason: to add codeshare bit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.