Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Disappointing Business service: emptiest business class cabin, and worst service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappointing Business service: emptiest business class cabin, and worst service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I bet they even served the nuts in the bag!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I bet he'll have a hard time understanding why you (and I and I'm sure 90+% of members) feel that way. Just watch.
I do, don't I? I should leave this forum to unaccented Americans led by unaccented Americans who either provide or receive terrible service with an indifferent attitude.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to clear my tray table onto one of the many empty seats for the third time, so I can go to the lavatory.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Jan 8, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
THANK YOU. I have endured plenty of busy flights with mediocre service without complaining. My point is that, on a flight where the staff:customer ratio in business class compares very favourably with the staff:customer ratoi in international First class on most international flights, the experience should at least have been just mediocre or indifferent. With a crew who gave a damn, it could have been brilliant with very little effort on their side, but I'm not demanding that.
Just trying to be understanding, is all. With a bundle and a half of threads relating AA's recent transformations I am not sure why it should be so surprising that people are going to feel this way.

Just got done explaining to my mentee this morning why telling someone who is mad that they are a fool for being mad is rarely a productive exchange. If I may be allowed my own, doubtless over-the-line over-generalization, it's a national sport around here tho'
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I just flew 2 flights with full J cabins and wonderful service. So my 1st flight cancels your doom-and-gloom post out, and the 2nd swings the pendulum towards rainbows and unicorns.

Is that how this works?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Personally, if I hear a Flight Attendant with an accent, I ring up the CEO and tell him to turn the plane around. Plainly, anyone of a different national origin shall not be qualified to serve me in business class.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Whatever gave you the impression that the Purser was responsible for leading the crew in any way?

There is no management hierarchy on-board, the Purser is simply the one who gets to fill out the paper-work.
I was wondering about this as well. OP seemed to be implying/asserting that the cabin crew were doing a bad job out of disrespect for the purser. However, my experience seems to be that AA cabin crew do just fine at performing poorly absent a purser of any sorts. A few AA domestic flights should be enough to make this evident.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXative
I just flew 2 flights with full J cabins and wonderful service. So my 1st flight cancels your doom-and-gloom post out, and the 2nd swings the pendulum towards rainbows and unicorns.

Is that how this works?
I grant you that many of us have experienced worse service in empty restaurants than in very busy ones. In my many years with UA, some crews dealt with empty-ish cabins with an attitude of "let's get this over with". But some of them, bless them, took the attitude "let's make this really special, we'll still have to work less than usual, but it will make a real difference to our customers". On this flight, I am just feeling like the occasional need to provide service during an 8+ hour flight is viewed as a true nuisance.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Personally, if I hear a Flight Attendant with an accent, I ring up the CEO and tell him to turn the plane around. Plainly, anyone of a different national origin shall not be qualified to serve me in business class.
Again, I offer my profuse apologies if the revelation that Americans will behave strangely when having to work with somebody with an accent offends. But if in doubt, feel free to walk around with me in the US for a day.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Early in the year-- back to UA you go!
^

I really wish people would stop creating threads everytime they arent treated like the Queen of England on a flight.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
We're on a 77W with 10 pax in the business class cabin.
Is anyone else interested to know the route? I'd love to get on this flight and use a SWU!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
First they take away the free upgrades with the platinum mastercard. Then the spring water and the pop piano. Now this?

Kidding aside though I think the key is to walk in with super low expectations. Last week on a 757 in F the equipment was super grundgy, and incidentally about the only service I got was getting my coat hung (so yes they do still do this). Didn't bother me one bit. Got home, it's fine. Don't need to be treated like royalty. I would trade friendly service in the air for not having to wait 30 minutes on the runway and another 30 for checked bags in a heartbeat.

Last edited by riastradh; Jan 8, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by riastradh
First they take away the free upgrades with the platinum mastercard.
Lol, this post really needed a link to the thread. Can't find it myself now, though.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
^

I really wish people would stop creating threads everytime they arent treated like the Queen of England on a flight.
Thats not enough. I want the Queen of England and a map of Tasmania..not at the same time, though
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
...Americans will behave strangely when having to work with somebody with an accent...
The problem here is that you take your perception (based on personal experience presumably) as an absolute fact.
Not only that, but then you leap to say that service was bad due to lack of purser leadership.

It is not about offending anyone, you started with the wrong foot by 1)generalization based on your perception 2) assuming that purser has any influence of FAs behavior.

Personally, I think you are wrong in both fronts. A heavy accent has nothing to do with anything. (ask my eastern European boss). As far as the purser role, it has been discussed above.

As far as bad service, I don't think service on AA is any better or worse than what it has always been. Hit or miss. Same old FAS (no pun intended)

Last edited by carlosdca; Jan 8, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott Gold
I’m failing to see why people think mediocre service is okay when buying a first or business class ticket. Queen (or king) of England or not, there is a level of expectation that the 3x (or more) cost differential is going to buy more than a bit more legroom, and food service (which is also not a given on AA these days). Is it snobby? Not really. Some people pay the “up-fare” just to avoid the often lousy experience that happens in Y.

Though I don’t think the airline is going to fail anytime soon, the OP’s observations of empty cabin and lousy service are a bit telling of a lack of quality control for the service provided. I have also noticed that the service in F has been very spotty the past four to five months on AA.

Joel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.