Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel No Longer Offered

Note: AA no longer refunds tickets purchased within the seven days of flight time frame when one cancels within 24 hours, as of 12 June 2015.

Please follow that topic / policy here: AA No more Refunds within 24 hours if booked inside 7 day window

The 24-hour reservation requirement is mandated by the Department of Transportation’s consumer rule “Enhancing Airline Passenger Protections” (14 CFR 259.5(b)(4), 76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011) and applies to all reservations made seven days or more prior to the flight’s scheduled departure time.
A 24 hour cancellation policy is called for by USDOT regulations. American Airlines currently meets the requirement by offering 24 hour hold.

1) Allowing one to "hold" a booking for 24 hours rather than purchase immediately. Unfortunately, some may not know this and purchase thinking they can cancel within 24 hours free of fees or cost.

Q: How do I "Hold" a reservation?
A: You may place your reservation on hold for 24 hours if you are booking your reservation seven or more days prior to departure. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the “Free 24 hour hold” option on the “Review and Pay” page during the booking process.

AA Reservations FAQ - Link
Hold Your Reservation On aa.com (Link)

As a convenience for your travel planning, aa.com offers hold* options during booking. You may place your reservation on hold for up to 24 hours for free, or you may pay to place your reservation on hold for an extended time period. When you make a reservation on aa.com for American Airlines flights, including American flights operated by codeshare partners, look for the "Hold" option on the "Review and Pay" page during the booking process.

Hold your reservation for 24 hours or more
* Did you find a good fare, but need more time? Hold your trip.
Here's how it works:
* All holds are free for the first 24 hours.
* If you choose to hold longer, you’ll be charged after 24 hours.
* Hold charges are non-refundable.
* When you’re ready, go to the confirmation email or My Trips to pay for or cancel your trip.
* Be sure to pay with a credit card from the same country you used to hold your trip or your fare may change.
Once you select the Hold option, the Free Hold and Extended Hold offers will display:

Book your flight now!

* Actual hold period depends on fare rules. Some fares require purchase by a specific time.
2) If one is booking for travel within seven days, there is no "hold" option given during the booking process.. The DOT does not require a refund for cancelation within 24 hours of purchase, nor a 24 hour hold. AA used to allow refunds within 24 hours of booking within the seven day purchase to flight time frame; it no longer does so as of 12 June 2014.

Link to PDF USDOT "Guidance on the 24-Hour Reservation Requirement"

Updated 1 July 2015

Print Wikipost

No More Free 24 hr. Hold For Reservations Made Within 7 Days Of Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Is the old Hold policy back or did it never go away for award travel? I just booked an award reservation for tomorrow morning and AA.com gave me the option to HOLD and it is indeed on hold until one hour before departure.
This particular topic never had anything to do with award tickets.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Is 24 Hr Hold No More?

Trying to book AA domestic paid res less then 7 days out.

aa.com asks for immediate purchase.......no HOLD option.

Is this a glitch, or did I miss a memo?

THANKS
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
You missed the memo. AA dropped this option some months ago. The legal requirement for a 24 hour refund/hold does not apply within 7 days of departure. AA decided to do no more than the law requires.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
You missed the memo. AA dropped this option some months ago. The legal requirement for a 24 hour refund/hold does not apply within 7 days of departure. AA decided to do no more than the law requires.
Thanks

Appreciate Quick Reply
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Actually, while it's true that holds within 7 days are no longer allowed, they do allow refunds within the first 24 hours after booking for tickets purchased within 7 days of departure. I've cancelled multiple otherwise non-refundable tickets under this policy within the last several months.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by metallo
Actually, while it's true that holds within 7 days are no longer allowed, they do allow refunds within the first 24 hours after booking for tickets purchased within 7 days of departure. I've cancelled multiple otherwise non-refundable tickets under this policy within the last several months.
Sounds like they did not decide to do no more than the law requires, but is it the official policy?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jagoffee
Sounds like they did not decide to do no more than the law requires, but is it the official policy?
It's exactly as metallo states; that you can cancel within 24 hours for tickets where no hold was offered and with one or two other limitations.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AA
When did they change this? I've booked multiple holds within not only 7 days but within 1 or 2 days, in the last month, one of which I ended up confirming a few hours later.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Trying to book AA domestic paid res less then 7 days out.

aa.com asks for immediate purchase.......no HOLD option.

Is this a glitch, or did I miss a memo?

THANKS
Yep, you apparently did; it has been documented for some months here, though.

Originally Posted by chrisremo
When did they change this? I've booked multiple holds within not only 7 days but within 1 or 2 days, in the last month, one of which I ended up confirming a few hours later.
Searching reveals... March 2014, per the master thread we've merged your query and thread it was in into. Read the wiki for more than you may want to know.

Note: AA no longer refunds tickets purchased within the seven days of flight time frame when one cancels within 24 hours, as of 12 June 2015.

Please follow that topic / policy here: AA No more Refunds within 24 hours if booked inside 7 day window

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 2, 2015 at 8:27 am Reason: Add recent further restrictions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.