Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-LHR 6pm or 8pm departure

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi all,
I have to choose between the 6pm and 8pm JFK-LHR departures (flying in F) and am wondering which one you think is better. Does the 8pm flight have a full Dinner service or Late Night Supper reduced service? Also, does First Class have a hot breakfast as follow-on service or just continental out of JFK?

Thanks! (my onward LHR-MAD connection is at 12:45, so either flight would work)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Disclaimer: I've flown EWR-LGW on CO in J on the 6pm and 8pm flights before. And my recommendations are based on that.

I highly recommend the 8pm flight, as you'll be finished with dinner around 10pm. That way you can get some sleep in the pricey F seat. With the 6pm flight, you'll have a few hours after dinner being awake before falling asleep, assuming you're not suffering from insomnia. And, you'll have less amount of rest on the plane. East coast USA-Europe flights are very short!

If BA's lounges have beds, you can give the 6pm flight a shot and then sleep during the layover in LHR.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion! I called to check about Dinner, and the EXP Desk said "Dinner with Breakfast Snack." For the amount I'm paying (plus the eVIP), I'm really hoping it's the full Dinner service, not Late Night Supper (where they toss the entree on top of a bed of mixed greens, and no separate salad course).
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Thanks for the suggestion! I called to check about Dinner, and the EXP Desk said "Dinner with Breakfast Snack." For the amount I'm paying (plus the eVIP), I'm really hoping it's the full Dinner service, not Late Night Supper (where they toss the entree on top of a bed of mixed greens, and no separate salad course).
To each their own, but you seem to both know and care more about AA meal service procedures and offerings than others on this forum. It's not really a consideration for me since its AA airplane food after all, and I usually like to sleep on transatlantic flights to Europe. To answer your questions, I believe all the BOS/JFK-LHR flights offer the continental breakfast (which is preferable for me). Why not route through ORD or MIA to enjoy a longer flight and expanded breakfast offering?

However much you're paying for a J ticket, I can't imagine a separate salad course and soggy omelet on AA Flagship dinnerware would be substantial.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
You'll get the full dinner service as an option. Don't be surprised to see all the other passengers take the express dinner option. I just wish these flights were longer.

Breakfast on east coast USA - Europe flights is usually continental because of the short duration, at least from what I've seen in J. If the breakfast were elaborate in F, then everyone would get less rest, not to mention a lot of the passengers would decline the extended service! Don't forget to post a TR after you travel!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
To each their own, but you seem to both know and care more about AA meal service procedures and offerings than others on this forum. It's not really a consideration for me since its AA airplane food after all, and I usually like to sleep on transatlantic flights to Europe.
I think the key difference is that you (and I) likely fly to get somewhere, whereas this particular individual fly's... well to fly...

I'm always a bit perplexed when ESpen36 posts questions such as this, because, as you imply, I sort of consider him the literal authoritative source on what kind of sundae is served where and when on any AA flight in the world...

Regards
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd rather eat lightly, board the aircraft and sleep on a relatively short flight like that - eat brekkies either prior to arrival or at the Arrivals Lounge / lounge. I always feel better that way and for me, it's easier to adapt to the new time zone when I do that. For food, there are almost always better places on the ground. In this instance I'd select the later flight.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
I think the key difference is that you (and I) likely fly to get somewhere, whereas this particular individual fly's... well to fly...

I'm always a bit perplexed when ESpen36 posts questions such as this, because, as you imply, I sort of consider him the literal authoritative source on what kind of sundae is served where and when on any AA flight in the world...

Regards

Sundaes, yes. And sundaes are always offered on any kind of Lunch/Dinner flight in International First. But I usually fly to LHR by way of DFW or MIA, where a full breakfast is offered. I actually have never flown JFK-LHR in F, so I'm looking forward to it! (and the $800 o/w fare was a great deal, plus the eVIP to get into F!)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'd rather eat lightly, board the aircraft and sleep on a relatively short flight like that - eat brekkies either prior to arrival or at the Arrivals Lounge / lounge. I always feel better that way and for me, it's easier to adapt to the new time zone when I do that. For food, there are almost always better places on the ground. In this instance I'd select the later flight.

That's what I figured....I'll take the connections bus over to T5 and enjoy a proper English breakfast the Galleries First lounge!!! ^^
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm taking AA100 (connecting from SFO) late next month. While on paper I'd prefer the after 8pm b/c it arrives in London at a much less ungodly hour, coming from SFO the cx'n at JFK would be too long.

Is the dinner on AA100 different from AA104?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:36 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sundaes, yes. And sundaes are always offered on any kind of Lunch/Dinner flight in International First. But I usually fly to LHR by way of DFW or MIA, where a full breakfast is offered. I actually have never flown JFK-LHR in F, so I'm looking forward to it! (and the $800 o/w fare was a great deal, plus the eVIP to get into F!)
This must be your trip to MAD. Enjoy.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:39 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by JDiver
In this instance I'd select the later flight.
+1
Old Feb 21, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by demkr

Is the dinner on AA100 different from AA104?
It is the same menu.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
While I consider food as a concern, that usually leads me to take an even later flight to catch a bite in NYC where there a million better options - from Katz's pastrami sandwich to the pre theatre menu at Daniel.

The one concern I would have with the 8pm flight is if you are leaving from Manhattan - you'd have to leave 45 minutes earlier if going by taxi than you would to get there at 4pm for your 6pm flight.

And re: breakfast - food at the Galleries lounge is better than either AA meal.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
To each their own, but you seem to both know and care more about AA meal service procedures and offerings than others on this forum. It's not really a consideration for me since its AA airplane food after all, and I usually like to sleep on transatlantic flights to Europe. To answer your questions, I believe all the BOS/JFK-LHR flights offer the continental breakfast (which is preferable for me). Why not route through ORD or MIA to enjoy a longer flight and expanded breakfast offering?
OP is located in NYC.. Unless he wants a MR, it would be a bit odd to route through ORD/MIA to get a longer flight for more sleep, but YMMV.
I will be on my first morning flight to Europe in June from ORD-LHR. Unless there is a big fare difference, my thoughts would be on whether the departure or arrival times were more convenient for me, and not on what kind of meal service is being offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.