Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA baggage handlers theft from baggage and trafficking drugs - how widespread?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA baggage handlers theft from baggage and trafficking drugs - how widespread?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Carry on isn't a choice on regional jets.
Sure it's a choice. Your carry on can't be as large as it is on mainline jets, but you can still carry on your laptop, passport, money, and other small valuables.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
On regional jets, it most certainly is, as you check your (carry on, too large to fit above) bag at the jet bridge, and retrieve it from the jet bridge upon arrival... your bag never being out of your sight, or behind the scenes where any sort of nefariousness can occur.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Indeed. Money and a passport are such unnecessary luxuries.
Why would anyone put his money / passport in the checked luggage? No one in his right mind would do so. The airlines themselves suggest you NOT to do so.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 10, 2011 at 11:47 am
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxconnorw
On regional jets, it most certainly is, as you check your (carry on, too large to fit above) bag at the jet bridge, and retrieve it from the jet bridge upon arrival... your bag never being out of your sight, or behind the scenes where any sort of nefariousness can occur.
As a precaution, you can always remove your laptop or any other valuables before gate-checking your carry-ons. Always always carry the passport / money / medication / camera / laptop with you - a small, lightweight, fully foldable extra bag can handle almost any forced gate-check situation.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Plane side checked bags are also susceptible to theft.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Nonsense. I carryone a backpack or laptop bag nearly every flight. Also, valet checking a carryon on is a bit safer than sending it through regular baggage checking.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coolers
Luggage locks are useless. Half the people on this forum know how to remove items from a locked suitcase without leaving any tracks
Ha, well, I'm definitely in the half that doesn't.

Originally Posted by JohnAx
So start with a non-TSA lock and carry a couple of spares in case they cut one off.
According to the thread below, the TSA may damage your luggage trying to open it:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-tsa-lock.html

Beyond that, plastic wrap was a frequent suggestion (seldom done in US airports, and not very TSA-friendly), locks that exposed an "I have been opened" flag, but not much really useful.
Do you mean wrapping the exterior of your luggage in plastic wrap - or the interior?

The thread I mentioned above suggested packing a firearm in your checked luggage since then it's a crime for anyone to open your bag without you being present. Then again, it seems like checking a firearm guarantees that your luggage gets inspected...how often does TSA inspect luggage?
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
we were victims 2 years ago

FCO-JFK-LAX. All was well clearing customs at JFK. We had Wine and Olive oil and one small gift in two of the bags. Non of these items were allowed in the cabin. At LAX - bags had been picked clean. AA did the right thing - but this problem had to be on the radar for quite some time....
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:02 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run
FCO-JFK-LAX. All was well clearing customs at JFK. We had Wine and Olive oil and one small gift in two of the bags. Non of these items were allowed in the cabin. At LAX - bags had been picked clean. AA did the right thing - but this problem had to be on the radar for quite some time....
I cannot say I have had the same experience at JFK... ever. I have packed alcohol, camera equipment, my firearm, trinkets, the occasional piece of jewellery, even a Mont Blanc in my checked and they all arrived with me back home. That's not to say that theft doesn't happen. Further, since 11 Sept, I haven't put anything that resembles jewellery or other valuables inside my checked. Despite this, however, I have always returned with everything I bought at home or abroad.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I cannot imagine why, in this day and age, anyone in their right mind would put any kind of valuables (laptops!) in checked baggage. If you have something valuable, put it in carryon luggage and take it on board the aircraft with you.

If you have something valuable that cannot be carried on board, then ship it ahead as insured and traceable freight. Get creative with paperwork. Can it be shipped ahead? Scanned into PDFs? Printed out at the destination?

All my electronics go with me on board. My checked bag has only easily-replaced clothing.
For somebody who has the creativity to be "creative" with paperwork (i.e. lie to Federal Authorities of both the USA and the destination country), this post is surreal and condescending.

Here's one such scenario: You're a poor immigrant. Your many nieces, that you love so much, back in the home country want laptops for their studies (or maybe it's your own kids from which you've been separated). You saved, literally, for months to buy them; they costs $500 each less in the USA. You buy 3. You have no money for FedEx ($100) and are certainly not prone to lie on the paperwork. Carry-on rules are such that you can't carry them onboard (too big and heavvy). You don't read FT every day so aren't aware of the thefts, but are fully aware that each bag has a tracking barcode just like a FedEx package does.

So you stick them into the barcode-tracked bag.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fornebufox
This insecurity predates the TSA, BTW.
Very good observation. The fact that it's going on post-TSA days reaffirms TSA's ineffectiveness in securing airports.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I avoid putting valuable things in checked luggage as much as possible and then if things were to get stolen, then there is travel insurance covering it
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
For somebody who has the creativity to be "creative" with paperwork (i.e. lie to Federal Authorities of both the USA and the destination country), this post is surreal and condescending.

Here's one such scenario: You're a poor immigrant. Your many nieces, that you love so much, back in the home country want laptops for their studies (or maybe it's your own kids from which you've been separated). You saved, literally, for months to buy them; they costs $500 each less in the USA. You buy 3. You have no money for FedEx ($100) and are certainly not prone to lie on the paperwork. Carry-on rules are such that you can't carry them onboard (too big and heavvy). You don't read FT every day so aren't aware of the thefts, but are fully aware that each bag has a tracking barcode just like a FedEx package does.

So you stick them into the barcode-tracked bag.
I think you've misunderstood the intent of the post you quoted. They are clearly referring to working files that can be scanned in one location and printed at another.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: 𓂀
Completely untrue, most theft would occur when someone is alone with bags in the Bin.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Indeed. Money and a passport are such unnecessary luxuries.
No. If you must check a bag put nothing of value in them. Seems like common sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.