Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admiral’s Club or Arrivals Lounge at LHR – which to visit?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, Lifetime Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Question Admiral’s Club or Arrivals Lounge at LHR – which to visit?

I’m flying AA to Heathrow. I have an 8 hr layover before I fly BA to Spain and I am thinking about buying a day pass for $50 for the Admirals Club. The goal is to be able to rest after the overnight flight as we arrive at 6:50 am; otherwise we would probably do some sightseeing. I arrive at Terminal 3; the Admiral’s Club agent told me that once I clear customs I can come back through security with my BA pass and access the Club in Terminal 3. I could visit the Arrivals Lounge instead - while the club pass wouldn’t gain me access there, the agent said I can purchase a day pass, based on space availability, for $40.00 plus VAT. For those of you who have visited both lounges, which would you choose? If I visit the Arrivals lounge, would it simplify or complicate the customs/security process needed to get to the Admirals Club?

My Spain flight leaves out of Terminal 1. Are there shuttle busses/trains that travel from terminal to terminal? I looked at the Heathrow site but didn’t see any info on how to get from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 unless you were driving.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:50 pm

With respect to the AC, the AAgent is mistaken. You will not be able to access Terminal 3 with your BA boarding passes so an AC daypass will do you no good. If you exit and use the arrivals lounge, you can walk (long) or take the train to Terminal 1. If you stay inside security, you can go to Terminal 1 on the bus through the Flight Connection Centre. You might want to check out a day rate (try searching Heathrow day rate) at a Heathrow hotel as the Arrivals lounge will probably not be too conducive to actually sleeping.

Michael
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
The Arrivals Lounge information is correct and, for a short layover, would be a good choice (hours ~ 6am-2pm IIRC). (As noted, you would not be allowed access to the AC.)
However, with your long layover, I would check on a hotel day-rate as posted above, or take the HEX into London. Even allowing a couple of hours for re-clearing security at T1, 6 hours in a lounge would be mind-numbing.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
The showers in the AC are disgusting anyway.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The Arrivals Lounge really isn't set up for sleeping (it would be hard to find a quiet corner all to yourself), so I wouldn't plan on using it for that.

PHOTOS of AA Arrivals Lounge at Heathrow
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WhoME
With respect to the AC, the AAgent is mistaken. You will not be able to access Terminal 3 with your BA boarding passes so an AC daypass will do you no good. If you exit and use the arrivals lounge, you can walk (long) or take the train to Terminal 1. If you stay inside security, you can go to Terminal 1 on the bus through the Flight Connection Centre. You might want to check out a day rate (try searching Heathrow day rate) at a Heathrow hotel as the Arrivals lounge will probably not be too conducive to actually sleeping.

Michael
The info about AC access is correct here. As for the walk- I rather like it. I don't find it to be long at all, and it's a nice stretch after all that time on the plane. I love walking, though, so YM (or yardage)MV. Never actually tried the FCC, but I've heard bad things about it here, in terms of lines

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Personally, I'd head into London too, even though I've been there a bazillion times - I find it more interesting than anything at the airport, but that's just me. Shop at Harrod's (not on Sunday), wander through Hyde Park, hang out at a pub. Or take a bus to nearby Windsor.

If you want to stay at the airport, though, your airline status and BA class of service to Spain matter. You didn't say anything about these. If you're AA Platinum or above, or the equivalent Sapphire/Emerald on any oneWorld airline, or will be in business/first, you'll have use of a BA lounge in T1.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
As an alternative to going into London, consider doing this:

http://www.hilton.co.uk/property/121...0&fid=11017958

Then afterward, tuck into a proper lunch here:

http://www.hilton.co.uk/property/120...p?hid=11016780

or indulge in a £200 lunch at Caviar House in T1.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:49 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
If I HAD to chose beteen A/C & Arr. Lounge, I'd chose the Arrivals Lounge.

BUT, I def. wouldn't hang out for long there. It's nice, the food is all right, the treadmills are a nice way to get the blood moving again, the showers are better than some, and the staff are helpful. BUT, there are NO windows in it. And, it's not that big.

In the London forum, there's a %20/off HEX thread. Snag that discount, snag a HEX train, and enjoy some part of London. The touristy stuff may not be runnign on a Sunday morning, but plenty of places to walk about, small shops & eats available.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You can also catch a bus from the bus terminal at T1 to Windsor. It runs once an hour on Sunday.
schedule link
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
Personally, I'd head into London too, even though I've been there a bazillion times - I find it more interesting than anything at the airport, but that's just me. Shop at Harrod's (not on Sunday), wander through Hyde Park, hang out at a pub. Or take a bus to nearby Windsor.
Harrod's are open on Sundays these days.

I'd certainly not try to spend 6-8 hours in the Arrivals Lounge. The BA lounge is nice, and even restful, but that's still too long.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by WhoME
With respect to the AC, the AAgent is mistaken. You will not be able to access Terminal 3 with your BA boarding passes so an AC daypass will do you no good.
When flying into LHR on AA, I've been able to stay in the terminal and access the AC. I did have to clear security, though. There were separate security lines for staying in the terminal versus leaving (which include going to another terminal). Has this changed?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by francophile
As an alternative to going into London, consider doing this:

http://www.hilton.co.uk/property/121...0&fid=11017958
I stayed there once. I was amazed at how long it took to get there from the airport (and vice versa) using the Hoppa-bus. It seemed about the same as taking the express to Paddington station and staying at the Hilton there.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anabolism
When flying into LHR on AA, I've been able to stay in the terminal and access the AC. I did have to clear security, though. There were separate security lines for staying in the terminal versus leaving (which include going to another terminal). Has this changed?
You need to show a boarding pass or proof of onward travel to use either of these lines. And you can only go to the terminal that your next flight departs from, whether that's T3 or another terminal. The "leaving" line you are talking about is ONLY for leaving for another terminal (T1, 2, or 4). If you want to leave the airport entirely, you must proceed through passport control, a separate line entirely.

BAA treats all arriving passengers pretty much the same - whether they arrive on an airplane or by ground transportation. You have to re-clear security before (re-)entering your terminal (technically, if you are transferring, you clear security before transfering to the other terminal), and they won't let you through if you don't have a boarding pass or itinerary.

I guess you could buy a refundable ticket departing T3 and use the e-ticket receipt to get back into the departure area to use the AC/FL and just not check in (the check-in desks are right after you re-clear security), but then I'm not sure how you'd get out to the street.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by skye1
In the London forum, there's a %20/off HEX thread. Snag that discount, snag a HEX train, and enjoy some part of London. The touristy stuff may not be runnign on a Sunday morning, but plenty of places to walk about, small shops & eats available.
But you can get 50% discount on the Heathrow Express by signing up for a BAA Worldpoints card and redeeming the points you get for half price tickets (very easy -- it can all be done online). If you send me a private message, I can get you even more points by referring you from my own account and explain how the whole scheme works.

As a native Londoner, I can also offer some good suggestions for fun things to do and good restaurants (but I don't want to clutter this thread with this stuff).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.