Search

AA does not wany our money!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2003, 7:28 am
JRF
Original Poster

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
AA does not wany our money!

My dad needs to fly to Dallas (from BWI) and back. 2 day advance notice, no sat night, so full Y ticket is my guess.

He books online with AA and it will not let him pick a seat for the flight down. He calls AA and they tell him they can't give him one as they are already reserved for airport control.

He tells that for $1,600 he wants an Isle seat, he has a bad knee that does not do well in middle or window seats. They tell him the only isle seats left are emergency and he can't have one until he gets to the airport, if those seats are still open then. (His knee hurts him very bad if he does not stetch it out and he is also fine to fly in Emergency Row - can handle door just fine).

He cancels the ticket on AA, calls UA (he is permier on US and would rather have miles anyway, although has to xfer in Chicago). He gets Isle seat no problem all the way and they are much nicer to him. Winds up costing $100 more.

No wonder AA is going bust.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 7:40 am

You can't really blame AA for this. If all the aisle seats are taken, except the emergency row, then what are they suppose to do? They can't just move somebody at the wish of another passenger. Plus, if his knee is that bad, he may not be as qualified to sit in the emergency exit row as he thinks and the airline would make that decision upon seeing him. It's unfortunate that AA could not satisfy his request, and he made the right decision by changing to another airline with more seats available that fit his needs. AA did nothing wrong in my oppinion. I'm happy to hear their flight was so full that any remaining seating was under airport control. At least they likely made a profit on that flight. One of the very few right now.

[This message has been edited by djcrooks (edited 04-16-2003).]
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
A couple thoughts..

1) If your dad did buy full Y and has status he might have a chance of being upgraded to F..better seat.

2) Many times, these seat assignment changes can be made at the airport on the day of the flight. I'm suprised that a bulk head row wasn't let open for this purpose. Although I've found that some flight the bulk heads are easily reserved on AA.com and other flight they are blocked off and only released at the airport.

It's unfortunate AA responded in this was and chose not to try to accomodate your father. At the very least, they could have made a notation in his record to make him a priority for his requested seat type and said something to the effect that "although I cannot comfirm you that type of seat now, there are seats that are only opened up the day of the flight and in most cases the FAs or gate agents can help by asking a passenger if they would be willing to switch seats with you." ... Heck. I've been asked this numerous times over the years.

Edited for bad spelling

[This message has been edited by crAAzy (edited 04-16-2003).]
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Aren't free upgrades to first (depending on availability) open to any AAdvantage member, status or not, when they book a full-fare coach ticket?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:05 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crAAzy:
A couple thoughts..

1) If your dad did but full Y and has status he might have a chance of being upgraded to F..better seat.
</font>
I was thinking that same thing-- or maybe use stickers?
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:10 am
JRF
Original Poster

His status is with UA, not AA, maybe I was not clear on that sorry.

He is fine for an emergecy exit, he is strong as an ox, just has pain in his knee when he can not strech it out (he just came from knee doctor and is going to be in a pain for a while).

He could have been put in an Emergency Row and then if he did not meet requirements, changed at the airport.

He wanted to fly AA as it is nonstop and UA has a change. He is not upset with AA in any way, just can't figure out why they don't want to bump a $99 seat over his $1,6000, they just must not need the money.

I have been bumped seats on DL and I know just for that reason.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:14 am

How would AA explain to it to the person they bumped who had an assigned seat? I know if I got to the airport with an assigned aisle and the agent told me I had been moved to a middle seat I would be pretty upset.

Also, if it's policy, AA phone agents won't bend in my experience. They have become very stringent in enforcing the rules recently.

On the bright side, your dad is getting miles and an aisle seat.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:22 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
There have been many instances where I could not get my preferred seat whether it be an isle, window or just a seat toward the front of the cabin. Often times, this was due to "airport control." But virtually 100% of the time, I was able to get my preferred seat once I was at the airport.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:23 am
JRF
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tismfu:
On the bright side, your dad is getting miles and an aisle seat.</font>
So true. As I mentioned, he is not upset at all, with AA or the fact he is flying on UA. He is happy to get the miles.

Now, I don't believe that pax on AA never have involintary seat assignment changes. On DL you have to check your seat assignment from time to time as DL changes them. There are numerous reasons, equip changes for one, higher fare pax with special needs and so forth. If this is a cultur thing for AA, then they should go broke. Dad is happy, miles and isle. If AA can't figure out how to sell walk up tickets, they are in real trouble.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JRF:

He is fine for an emergecy exit, he is strong as an ox, just has pain in his knee when he can not strech it out (he just came from knee doctor and is going to be in a pain for a while).

</font>
Honestly, I have to say I do not know how comfortable I would feel if I were a passenger on that flight, and saw someone in pain with knee problems sitting in the emergency exit row. What if there truly was an emergency? How would he be able to move fast on his feet?

Regarding the aisle seat, I often book flights for my elderly mother who arrives in a wheel chair. On occasion I have also waited until the last minute to book her flight. Although there have been no aisle seats available for assignment at the time of booking, it has been explained to me that airlines keep bulk head seats open for just such situations. They put a note in her file and she has never had a problem being assigned an appropriate seat, even if it mean moving her to first class.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JRF:
His status is with UA, not AA, maybe I was not clear on that sorry.
</font>
If there is a next time, he should make his reservation, call back and ask if AA will comp him similar status that he has on UA, and then call back again to see if there is available space for a full fare Y upgrade.

One thing I've always appreciated about AA, in my experience, is that they don't try to monkey seats around later to accomodate other people once you have an assigned seat. They wait until people arrive at the airport and then ask if anyone would be willing to switch.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:40 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
No, they are only open to elite AAdvantage members. Recently, they were only open to EXP.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tismfu:
Aren't free upgrades to first (depending on availability) open to any AAdvantage member, status or not, when they book a full-fare coach ticket?</font>
Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:47 am

But anybody can sticker to first if they pay for full coach. It's just that the stickers cost money (and they cost more money if you're not an elite)

Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:30 am

Now, I don't believe that pax on AA never have involintary seat assignment changes. On DL you have to check your seat assignment from time to time as DL changes them. There are numerous reasons, equip changes for one, higher fare pax with special needs and so forth. If this is a cultur thing for AA, then they should go broke. Dad is happy, miles and isle. If AA can't figure out how to sell walk up tickets, they are in real trouble.
</font>
I certainly dont share your view that this "yanking a seat from somebody at the last minute" at Delta is a good thing. I think its terrible and am glad AA doesnt participate in this. You clearly state that your dad needed to fly at short notice, hence he should be aware that seat choice is very limited. Why should it be so all important that he paid more than some other people on the plane ? Clearly AA would love to sell him a ticket, but if the ailse seats are taken, they are TAKEN. How can you expect them to just bump someone with a confirmed seat assignement ? Even an EXP only has the right to a confirmed seat , NOT their "seat of choice".

Not that I was planning on it but the above info on their ridiculous seat assignment policies is enough to never make me fly Delta, ever. "Checking your seat assignment from time to time"..just to make sure your confirmed seat hasnt been given away because you bought a discount Y ticket ??? What kind of BS is that ?

AA is a 100% correct in their approach on this one and its another reason why I continue to fly them as my primary carrier. Well done AA !!!

Old Apr 16, 2003, 9:31 am

Thanks for the clarification, Spiff and marlborobell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.