Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA error led to cancelled reservation, said they'd do nothing [$600 vouchers finally]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Booking online I generally get a confirmation email without a ticket number, the PNR that was created is referenced in the confirmation.

Looking up online I see "Ticketed" tells me the booking has not been ticketed yet (nor is an e-ticket available).

It's only when the reservation shows "Ticketed - <date>" and I have obtained a ticket number (001-...) that I can relax.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by caviargal1956
The ticket reissue was done on the phone with a supervisor at AA approx. 10 weeks ago. She had to get involved as the agent I was working with quoted me a $200 per ticket reissue fee and I questioned that, as this was the 2nd reissue on this ticket, the first being $150 per ticket. So I have actually paid two change fees, one of which was refunded, as it was in the cost of the ticket.

At that time, the supervisor also recommended I book the extra charge seats, as the flight was nearly full and she could not assign seats. Therefore, I also paid seat fees for 4 flights in preferred seating, also refunded. My Amex was charged and when I looked in my online account, the reservation number and flights showed up. I did not check again after that.

My original email to AA stated the facts and requested two tickets anywhere AA flies so that we can take this trip next year. With my second email, sent last night after receiving their canned email response, I then decided to take the denied boarding approach since they were not going to do the right thing - IMO - and provide me with two round trip tickets to take this trip at a later date.

AA acknowledged their error, one keystroke, but took the stance that since it was not intentional they had no responsibility. If I had booked the wrong flights or wrong dates, that would not have been intentional but I would have most definitely been assessed a fee.

When I was speaking to the supervisor the day before our vacation, she stated that she had exhausted all possibilities, as flights were packed due to the Friday before Labor Day being a peak travel day. She said she looked at all routes, all classes of service.

I advised that JetBlue showed seats available and was advised they could not protect me on those flights. My option was to leave out 3 days later, which was not an option for our schedule. After one hour and 47 minutes on the phone with them, and being told that they had no other possible option to get me to Jamaica for my vacation, she refunded the tickets, which took about 48 hours. I waited until the refund had been posted to my Amex and then sent my email to customer service.

The supervisor then stated that what she found most upsetting was that the reissue had been done by a supervisor and was fully documented, including seats being assigned. She stated that the merger has resulted in lots of new agents and supervisors and hence sometimes mistakes are made.

There is no hidden agenda here, nor am I leaving out anything. I was charged, there was a confirmation number and seats were assigned.

AA acknowledged their mistake but has taken the stance that it was not intentional and therefore I am not entitled to any compensation.

I do not have the time, energy and money to even attempt to take a large organization to court.

I am not a novice traveler and travel internationally 6-8 times a year for business and pleasure, as well as domestically. I hit my million miler status with Delta 20 years ago. These days I fly JetBlue whenever possible and DL the rest of the time.

The only reason I was booked on AA is that I had planned to go to Barbados for Christmas and they were the airline with that service from my area. When our plans changed and we decided to go to Europe instead, I had my tickets reissued for Barbados to travel in June. Then the resort we were booked into had a very bad opening and we decided to pay an additional change fee and head to JA and one of our favorite resorts and I called AA and paid those fees to make that change and travel over Labor Day.

There is nothing more to the story and I appreciate those that have offered helpful suggestions. I do not agree that AA should have no accountability because the mistake was not intentional. Most mistakes are not. Intentional or not, they could not get me to my destination and I had two paid tickets to travel on 30 Aug. They have not denied any of that, so obviously could not find any loopholes there to hide behind. They have simply decided they can get away with their mistake and I am sure are hoping I will just go away.
After the change, did the OP have a new ticket number or not? I suspect that the "reservation number" might be the PNR for the reservation and not the ticket, but if this was on an AmEx statement, my understanding is that it should be a ticket number?

@OP, is this reservation number a combination of six capital letters and numbers or it it a long number starting with a zero, about a dozen digits with no letters? The answer would indicate whether or not you had a ticket after the change.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Booking online I generally get a confirmation email without a ticket number, the PNR that was created is referenced in the confirmation.

Looking up online I see "Ticketed" tells me the booking has not been ticketed yet (nor is an e-ticket available).

It's only when the reservation shows "Ticketed - <date>" and I have obtained a ticket number (001-...) that I can relax.
That's strange. I generally get an e-mail with the subject "E-Ticket Confirmation-XXXXXX YYYYY" where the Xs are the record locator and the Ys are a date; these have ticket numbers in them.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jordyn
I don't think either AA or people like Dave Noble who have apparently never seen a situation in which the airline is culpable have any reasonable argument that this wasn't an oversale. Rather, AA had some internal procedure that caused them to lose track of one of the paid-for tickets; that doesn't make the flight less oversold, it just means AA's bad at figuring it out in advance.
If the re-issue of the ticket was not completed, which is how this sounds, then the passenger was not denied boarding due to oversell

I haven't said that the airline should pay nothing ; putting in a claim for actual losses seems reasonable and can be fairly calculated and possibly be successful if having to take to court
Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I would not be certain they would settle.

They (all airlines) have a strong position that they are never responsible for such subsequent damages. If they were to start conceding such cases, then next will be the person who says they lost a 7 figure business deal because of an MX (and there was one such around here a few years ago).

I disagree. Unlike the MX delay, I doubt the CoC specifically says "if one of our employees is negligent in properly ticketing a reservation, that's not our fault". And even if AA would like to interpret part of the CoC to mean that, the fact that they've already essentially admitted fault leaves that open to challenge and I don't think that a challenge to the CoC in court (on something it will likely lose) is good for the airline.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
If an airline cancels a ticket through their negligence how does CoC apply?

In order for there to be a contract there has to be a ticket. If airline cancels the ticket they have breached contract and therefore cannot stand on terms of contract as it has been breached or was non-existent.

Another way to look at it. You call an airline to ticket a res. They charge your card but do not issue a ticket and you are unable to fly. Airline IS responsible for damages as there is no contract.

I am speaking generally here because I still am not sure what ticket status was for OP.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
That's strange. I generally get an e-mail with the subject "E-Ticket Confirmation-XXXXXX YYYYY" where the Xs are the record locator and the Ys are a date; these have ticket numbers in them.
"We" FTer's know about this, and so would get antsy if the email did not come. But, the OP should not be faulted for not knowing about this feature.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
"We" FTer's know about this, and so would get antsy if the email did not come. But, the OP should not be faulted for not knowing about this feature.
I dont know... Over 1 million BIS miles, that's not a novice, she even says that herself.

My take on this is as others have stated, ONLY request what was actual damages, but even then, they may not pay it. If you booked the hotel thru a credit card that has travel insurance built in, then file a claim for it.

I had a flight MX cancel on me, and the only way for me to get home the same day was to rent a one-way car and drive 2+ hours. It cost me over $200 for gas and the car rental. I requested from AA that amount back, but instead threw miles at me. I sent a second email and was told "we feel that was adequate compensation". I was utterly shocked, as I was just asking for a Voucher so I could monetarily offset costs to my client.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by nrr
I'm just confused by what serfty wrote, not saying the OP did anything wrong. I am curious as to whether OP got a ticket number for the reissue, because that removes the last technicality that AApologists will use to claim that this wasn't an oversale situation, but I don't think OP had any affirmative obligation to do anything other than pay AA money after they offered to change the flight for that amount.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:34 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
I dont know... Over 1 million BIS miles, that's not a novice, she even says that herself.
The OP (presumably) booked the ticket on her own, and with so many BIS miles should (maybe) have been more informed, than others, about how AA works.

But, many EXPs with much more than 1 MM BIS, do all their booking through their corporate travel desk and probably have NO idea about how the system works.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
I advised that JetBlue showed seats available and was advised they could not protect me on those flights. My option was to leave out 3 days later, which was not an option for our schedule. After one hour and 47 minutes on the phone with them, and being told that they had no other possible option to get me to Jamaica for my vacation, she refunded the tickets
It would seem that you did have another option: just buy the available tickets on JetBlue yourself, and apply the refund amount from AA to help cover the cost. This may not have covered the cost completely, but a) you would have had the benefit of your vacation in Jamaica, and b) you wouldn't have lost the money paid for the vacation in Jamaica. Instead, you sat at home, probably steaming mad, about the situation while the room you paid for in Jamaica sat empty.

In no way am I trying to reduce AA's responsibility in this situation. What I am trying to say is that when faced with such a situation, what I would do and what I recommend to others is that you stay focused on what you need to do so solve the problem, and not dwell on who's at fault and/or who should be the ones to fix it, as that's a recipe for making a bad situation worse.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
It would seem that you did have another option: just buy the available tickets on JetBlue yourself, and apply the refund amount from AA to help cover the cost.
Expensive last minute tickets in biz/first could easily break the budget bank.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:40 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
AA acknowledged their error, one keystroke, but took the stance that since it was not intentional they had no responsibility. If I had booked the wrong flights or wrong dates, that would not have been intentional but I would have most definitely been assessed a fee.

When I was speaking to the supervisor the day before our vacation, she stated that she had exhausted all possibilities, as flights were packed due to the Friday before Labor Day being a peak travel day. She said she looked at all routes, all classes of service.

I advised that JetBlue showed seats available and was advised they could not protect me on those flights. My option was to leave out 3 days later, which was not an option for our schedule. After one hour and 47 minutes on the phone with them, and being told that they had no other possible option to get me to Jamaica for my vacation, she refunded the tickets, which took about 48 hours. I waited until the refund had been posted to my Amex and then sent my email to customer service.

The supervisor then stated that what she found most upsetting was that the reissue had been done by a supervisor and was fully documented, including seats being assigned. She stated that the merger has resulted in lots of new agents and supervisors and hence sometimes mistakes are made.
Thanks for the additional info, caviargal. I would definitely take hillrider's advice and report this to the DOT. Totally unacceptable response by AA.

I would also encourage you (gasp) to post an abbreviated version to the AA Facebook or Twitter sites - because of the very public nature of social media sometimes AA monitors those channels more closely than others, although it may also get lost in the more common gripes of everyday travelers.

Last edited by dstan; Sep 4, 2013 at 10:45 am
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nrr
The OP (presumably) booked the ticket on her own, and with so many BIS miles should (maybe) have been more informed, than others, about how AA works.
It doesn't matter how many BIS miles anyone has. The OP (from what I can tell) did everything a normal traveler should be expected to do. AA definitely dropped the ball (and admitted it) and their response has been weak.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
The merger has resulted in lots of new agents and supervisors? Already?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.