Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Agents Can't Do Some Ticketing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (2.6 Million Miles), Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, & Hertz Platinum
Admirals Club Agents Can't Do Some Ticketing

Okay, as most of you have noticed on here that I really don't do much complaining, I just post some interesting observations and situations that I come across in my weekly travels. But, on this one I do have a question.

Let me set the stage for you.

I had a voucher for $50.80 because I rebooked a previous flight and the fare was cheaper than my original fare. I was told through Executive Platinum that I had to go to the airport to use it or mail it in with my reservation and record locator number.

I was at DFW Airport and thought that I would go to the Admirals Club in Terminal A to use the Voucher.

When I arrived I was told that the AAngel could not help me because they do not process all ticketing request there. I was told to go back out through security to the front ticket counters. As I was talking to the agent at the First Class Ticket counter she seamed upset because the AAngel sent me down. She said did he call anyone, I said no.... Upon re-entry through security the TSA decided to search every inch of my bags for at least 30 mins. Even though I already passed through security in Abilene just about an hour before with no problems.

As you would guess this was not the level of service that an Executive Plat should receive in my opinion.

The First Class Ticket Counter Agent suggested that I call Premium Services or write a letter to them describing my situation and frustration.

Why would an AAngel in the Admirals Club not be trained on all aspects of ticketing, esp. the use of a credit voucher.

What should I do??

Just curious.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:19 am

Yes, had the exact same experience as you. AC agents are now longer "allowed" to do voucher transactions. Had to go outside of security to the ticket counter (agent there did not complain, however, and was very helpful), then back through screening again. For the annual fee, you'd think that AC agents would be allowed to do any and all transactions, and it might actually take some pressure off of the regular ticket counters. I e-mailed AA Customer Relations about it. Suggest you do the same. Maybe we can start a movement.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:25 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Formerly (as in pre-9/11 before all the cutbacks) the Admirals Club staff were typically very senior (as in highly trained) agents or sales staff that had come up through the ranks. The AC back then was considered 'great duty' as there was no uniform and you got to deal with the premium passengers .. it was a real good career choice.

Nowdays, with the layoffs and early retirements of many senior staff .. the AC has become a ground of 'newbies' who may or may not have had ticketing experience. I know some clubs will say 'Ask Mary she can ticket for you'... DFW may be a club where the staff is not ticketing-capable .. or are ticketing-shy.

Some clubs will do more than others .. just as some AC staff will do more than others.

Next time I would ASK the person who refused to do your ticketing request 'is there any MORE senior person here who can do this ticketing for me?'. Once they realize you know what you are doing . they will typically call a supervisor.

The AC has had many limitations placed on them. They used to be more flexible in working on upgrades .. but now the gate is in total control of them. They still (in most cases) can do re-routes and such. But I have found many AC staff who do not know how to look at where the inbound aircraft arrives from to know if it is in the air/etc.

AC staff are not what they used to be as far as being the most experienced staff. Sorry to tell ya that.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact that AA doesn't do electronic vouchers is the real shame here. If they were electronic there would be no issue, and if you were to buy a ticket requiring paper the AC would be able to print it out for you.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
The fact that AA doesn't do electronic vouchers is the real shame here. If they were electronic there would be no issue, and if you were to buy a ticket requiring paper the AC would be able to print it out for you.
Do any of the legacy airlines do electronic vouchers yet?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA has some antiquated and stultified polcies about vouchers, etc. But at DFW, rather than do the entire security screening dance again, I'd have probably SkyLinked over to the AC at Terminal D on the chance that the international terminal club staffers might be a bit more knowledgeable.

If not, I'd probably try dealing with the ticket counter at my destination. The TSA thing is just too difficult to predict in terms of time and what they are goingh to do (and iirc the recent Congressionally mandated test on TSA had them fail finding planted simulated explosive devices, what, 21 of 21 times?)
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by justageek
DL for one.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:12 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite

As vasantn noted, DL does electronic vouchers. And you can easily apply them online when you buy a ticket. At the end of the Delta.com ticketing process, right before you spend the money, you have the chance to use "e-credits" -- which can be anything from a voucher to an unused old ticket.

They're all there in your account (under your SkyMiles number). You don't even have to remember the voucher number. The same goes for old unused tickets.

For example, if you have a ticket but end up not flying, the unused ticket value, less the $50 penalty, remains in your account and you can apply that value toward the next ticket you buy (or whenever). The same system is used for the vouchers. They're all just credits sitting there in your account.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA has some antiquated and stultified polcies about vouchers, etc. But at DFW, rather than do the entire security screening dance again, I'd have probably SkyLinked over to the AC at Terminal D on the chance that the international terminal club staffers might be a bit more knowledgeable.

If not, I'd probably try dealing with the ticket counter at my destination. The TSA thing is just too difficult to predict in terms of time and what they are goingh to do (and iirc the recent Congressionally mandated test on TSA had them fail finding planted simulated explosive devices, what, 21 of 21 times?)
Actually, JDiver, that's exactly where they turned me down when I showed up with a voucher!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's good to know - one would expect the International folks would be more facile dealing with these issues, but it appears AA merely will not allow them to, so they shrug us off.

Originally Posted by Roadrunner2
Actually, JDiver, that's exactly where they turned me down when I showed up with a voucher!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
DL and CO both do electronic vouchers. Not sure about NW, but I think they do too.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (2.6 Million Miles), Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, & Hertz Platinum
This is all good feedback, and I as well found it odd that the Admirals Club agent did not know how to process the request. I'm finding the AC only being a good place to take clients and cleaner restrooms. I think as an Exec Plat, that they would give better service, but after they swipe your card that's about it. Back in the day, they would ask if they could help with my travels for that day or for a future flight.

I think American is missing a good connection point with some of thier most loyal customers.

I'll send the letter to pile on the band wagon. We will see what happens.

thanks for the posts
Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:40 pm

Maybe AA knows what it is doing afterall.

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
As vasantn noted, DL does electronic vouchers. And you can easily apply them online when you buy a ticket. At the end of the Delta.com ticketing process, right before you spend the money, you have the chance to use "e-credits" -- which can be anything from a voucher to an unused old ticket.

They're all there in your account (under your SkyMiles number). You don't even have to remember the voucher number. The same goes for old unused tickets.

For example, if you have a ticket but end up not flying, the unused ticket value, less the $50 penalty, remains in your account and you can apply that value toward the next ticket you buy (or whenever). The same system is used for the vouchers. They're all just credits sitting there in your account.
JetBlue has a similar policy to Delta.
The voucher is stored in my account and is the default method of payment.

Definately better for the consumer. But hey, it's a zero sum game.

AA wants vouchers to go unutilized and expire unredeemed.

Before I'm accused of being cynical , let's look at CO policy of taking upto 14 days to get back to you on partner airline award redemptions. CO would far prefer that you redeem on CO metal and not partners. The 14 day policy is designed ti "discourage" award redemption on partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.