Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How many citi cards can I have simultaneously and still get the bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many citi cards can I have simultaneously and still get the bonus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by Happy
I have done "switching" from AA card to Dividend card several times but I have never done any switching to a card that has sign-up bonus. I am under the impression that for the sign up bonus you have to actually "apply" it, online or via phone in order to get the bonus, simply "switching" would get you the new card without credit inquiry (told by the CSR), BUT do not give you the sign up bonus.

What have been your experiences ? TIA for clarification.
I was under the same impression you have. But I had switched cards several times without filling out applications (and without expecting bonuses). Only to find out upon getting my cards that I got whatever promotion they had for new members (bonus points, 0% for the first 6 months, etc.) My credit report showed that they did inquiries though. I didn't mind since I wasn't needing mortgage or car loans.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:07 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by ejs621
I currently have 2 active personal Citibank AA Platinum Mastercards, a business Citibank Visa card and have just received a Citibank AA Amex card. I have collected 60k bonus miles on the 3 Mastercard and Visa within the last year. I am awaiting 15k on the Amex card.

So to answer your question, Yes you can have multiple active Cards from Citibank.
I don't understand this. You have 2 personal Citibank AA Plat MC(identical card type, both open at the same time) and collected bonuses on both? I thought they specifically say the bonus is for "new" cardholders? Did you open the 2nd identical account expecting the bonus? Did you expect them to open a 2nd identical account for you? If this is really true, I might as well apply for a 2nd card now to get the 20K bonus before the end of Feb....

The only time I ever tried to open a 2nd identical acct type was w/ Worldperks Plat Visa, and the woman said I could only have 1 account of each type.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ET
I don't understand this. You have 2 personal Citibank AA Plat MC(identical card type, both open at the same time) and collected bonuses on both? I thought they specifically say the bonus is for "new" cardholders? Did you open the 2nd identical account expecting the bonus? Did you expect them to open a 2nd identical account for you? If this is really true, I might as well apply for a 2nd card now to get the 20K bonus before the end of Feb....

The only time I ever tried to open a 2nd identical acct type was w/ Worldperks Plat Visa, and the woman said I could only have 1 account of each type.
You are correct, I have 2 identical Citibank AA Plat MC (with different account numbers) opened seperately in the last year and I have collected the 20k bonus on each. After the first card account was opened, I saw a post on flyertalk about a 20k bonus for an Citibank AA Plat MC. I applied and was approved online instantly and received the card 7 days later much to my surprise. I applied and received a Citibank AA Business Visa for 20k bonus.
I am awaiting the 15k bonus to post from the Citibank AA AmEx. When that does I will have received 75k bonus miles within the last year.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 5:34 am

I have three Citi cards, one is the AAdvantage MC, a Dividend MC and the new AAdvantage AMEX. I had a second Dividend card but never used it. I had it as a spare since, initially, my original Dividend card only allowed for a $500 credit limit and thought that if I ever wanted to go above $500 on a dividend type card I could simply use the second one.

However, when the Citi AMEX arrived the other day, it had a letter attached which said they closed out that second and inactive Dividend card so that I could have more credit available on the AMEX. So, it seems to me that although you can have multiple cards, they still limit your overall credit amount by spreading it over the cards you have. Since that time, I have applied and was granted for additional credit limit to the Dividend card.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: NWA PE, UA 1P; Displaced Illini Quadruple Diamond
Can you get the bonus for the Gold and Platinum World MasterCard?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Oh yeah, it's "If you're not buying..." as opposed to "If your not buying..."
In correcting another's grammar, is it proper to use the word 'YEAH' ?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:19 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
How much of a "business" does one need to get a business credit card? Selling one item on eBay? Or a registered business w/ tax number and all?

Thanks,

Steve (the "Noobie")
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by steve32
How much of a "business" does one need to get a business credit card? Selling one item on eBay? Or a registered business w/ tax number and all?

Thanks,

Steve (the "Noobie")

Seems like your business "FEIN" number does the trick, don't know what the minnimum income amounts are though.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ejs621
Seems like your business "FEIN" number does the trick, don't know what the minnimum income amounts are though.
IIRC, the minimum gross income for the business is $15k/year.

Mike
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:53 am

You can only have three personal Citicards

I have three Citi MCs:
  1. Citi AAdvantage Gold World MC (my main card)
  2. ClickCiti AAdvantage MC (a fee-free "online only" card they offered several years ago that has a price protection guarantee for online purchases)
  3. Citi Dividend Rewards MC (for gas/drugstores/groceries only)

I used to have a Citi Platinum Select Student MC that once upon a time gave me great student "zone fares" on AA (alas, they discontinued that program years ago). When I went to open my Dividend account last year, they made me close the Student card because you can only have three personal accounts with Citi at any one time.

Meanwhile, my mother has two Citi AAdvantage Plat World MC cards, because for a while she was exceeding the 100,000 mile a year limit per card.

So you can definitely have more than one Citi card, but you can't have more than three.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by klawsteve
In correcting another's grammar, is it proper to use the word 'YEAH' ?
Sure. It's a colloquialism. Not the same thing at all.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by p9142
Can you get the bonus for the Gold and Platinum World MasterCard?
Bumpity bump. Someone here must have at least tried to get both.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by p9142
Bumpity bump. Someone here must have at least tried to get both.
Yes, they have credited bonuses for getting each card in the past. However, my card applications were spaced several years apart. I will soon find out if its possible to get multiple bonuses within a year.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA 3MM, PLT
I applied for the new AAdvantage AMEX and just received not one but two cards, each a different account number -- they came in separate envelopes but on the same day. Obviously some sort of computer glitch, I would imagine. It seems like I should receive the 15k mileage bonus for each card , but I wonder if anyone knows for sure. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by alohatoall
I applied for the new AAdvantage AMEX and just received not one but two cards, each a different account number -- they came in separate envelopes but on the same day. Obviously some sort of computer glitch, I would imagine. It seems like I should receive the 15k mileage bonus for each card , but I wonder if anyone knows for sure. Thanks for the help.
That is strange. I recently applied for the Citi Plat Mastercard and got it in about 7 days. About 4 days after that I got a letter stating that my request for another account of this type was denied, but I had never applied before, and only applied once for this one. I called and they said there must have been some sort of computer glitch which processed my app twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.