Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-HND to End: Out 29 Nov, Return 1 Dec 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
JFK-HND to End: Out 29 Nov, Return 1 Dec 2013

AA is finally pulling the plug citing lasting unprofitably directly attributed to the schedules. No indication of resumed NRT service form JFK. Text below:

"In addition, we will end American’s service from New York/JFK to Tokyo/Haneda, with the last eastbound flight on Dec. 1, 2013. This is a route we worked hard to secure as part of the 2010 Open Skies agreement between the United States and Japan. While we are disappointed to end this route, our Tokyo/Haneda flight has been quite unprofitable, largely because we are allowed to operate only during severely restricted hours, limiting our customers' options for connecting flights to and from other Asian markets. Our decision to finally cancel the service followed multiple unsuccessful attempts to persuade the U.S. and Japanese governments to reach an agreement to eliminate all schedule constraints at Tokyo/Haneda."

Last edited by sts603; Oct 16, 2013 at 10:32 am
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, HH GLD, CC GLD, Hyatt PLT, IHG PLT Amb
Ugh in about a month I was hoping to book HNL-JFK-HND in F for 2 next April (don't have the miles yet to do it right now). Lovely... Really hope they bring back JFK-NRT (which would be better anyway in terms of flight times) instead of completing ending JFK non-stop service.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:28 am

This may come back as there are indications that daytime HND slots may soon be made available for US services, although it reads as though AA is formally relinquishing its current HND authority, so they will likely have to submit a completely new application if/when those slots become available.

I was able to take this flight in June, and while there was a healthy Y load (J looked decent; not sure about F), if everyone's ticket was as cheap as mine was ($862 including taxes for one-way ATL-SIN), then there's no way AA was making money on the route.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The whole rationale for permitting long-haul flights from the US to Haneda was that business travelers heading to Tokyo preferred HND to NRT. If lack of connecting opportunities is an issue, then it's readily apparent that there just aren't enough O&D passengers to make it work.

This HND slot will be re-assigned in a competitive route case - wonder if AA will re-apply for it from LAX (where the timing issue is not as severe)?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The whole rationale for permitting long-haul flights from the US to Haneda was that business travelers heading to Tokyo preferred HND to NRT. If lack of connecting opportunities is an issue, then it's readily apparent that there just aren't enough O&D passengers to make it work.
?
They do. but they don't like 6:50 a.m. departures and to a lesser extent 10:15 arrivals on 14 hour flights.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

I have a two flights to SIN through HND booked for next year with confirmed EVIP UGs on the JFK-HND-JFK legs. What are the chances that AA would rebook me in JL (NRT) or CX (HKG) in J?

Safe Travels
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
So pretty much on OW we are left with SFO-HND and HNL-HND both operated by JL.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

I have a two flights to SIN through HND booked for next year with confirmed EVIP UGs on the JFK-HND-JFK legs. What are the chances that AA would rebook me in JL (NRT) or CX (HKG) in J?

Safe Travels
Slim to none. If it was paid J, they would do it, but since it's an upgrade, they will re-route you in J on any AA flights to NRT (which I believe offers crappy connections to SIN) regardless of C availability. The other option is if your travel is late enough, hold off on until they annouce the dates of the new HKG service. If your travel falls into those dates, you can have them put you on that flight connecting to CX to SIN.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer

Safe Travels
Maybe LGA-DFW-HKG-SIN with the AA legs in C (and a shorter CX flight in Y)?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Excellent news. HND is not a good airport for non-Japan connections, especially given the AA timeslots. Hopefully, the aircraft will be re-purposed for serve a different city in Asia.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Big if they stop HND and don't resume NRT. I know JL flies to NRT but unless award space is available up front, it's a 13+ hour ride in the back.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
Looks like El Guapo Senor Horton should have gone to JP instead of CN...learned him some "Sumimasen, arigato gozaimas" v. "Duibuqi, xiexie" -- ah, when they were awarded the route I believe the slot restrictions were known. Could it be the New York types would rather take ANA/DAL/JAL to NRT instead? That route must be largely O&D traffic--I'm a little surprised there is a comment about connectivity.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
Looks like El Guapo Senor Horton should have gone to JP instead of CN...learned him some "Sumimasen, arigato gozaimas" v. "Duibuqi, xiexie" -- ah, when they were awarded the route I believe the slot restrictions were known. Could it be the New York types would rather take ANA/DAL/JAL to NRT instead? That route must be largely O&D traffic--I'm a little surprised there is a comment about connectivity.
The flight timings are miserable, so you can arrive to Central Tokyo far earlier in the day if you fly into NRT and then take the train rather than fly into HND.

Onward connections certainly can help things, but the flight slots are poorly timed to allow that as well.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Big if they stop HND and don't resume NRT. I know JL flies to NRT but unless award space is available up front, it's a 13+ hour ride in the back.
I know this comes as a shock to FTers but routes are planned based on revenue passengers and the types of tickets they purchase. I highly doubt that there is any single route where the analysis of whether to continue it is going to be swayed based on the lack of alternatives to use systemwide upgrades out of Y.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Not really surprised to see this one go.

I fly to Japan from NY and know several others who do frequently too (many staying in Japan and others connecting to SIN/TPE, etc), and the idea of direct to HND just wasn't enough when you factor in the terrible time slot and lack of good connections on arrival.

Not to mention, most business travelers from Japan would much rather fly NH and JL to and from Japan and so would anyone coming from NY who could afford it and isn't looking to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.