Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA will lend up to 500 miles towards awards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2002, 10:37 am
Original Poster

AA will lend up to 500 miles towards awards

AA will issue awards to non-elite members if they are within 500 miles of the required mileage. Your balance goes negative. They may lend more miles to elites, I don't know.

I learned this while planning and ticketing 9 F and 2 Y class awards from WAS-ANC & YVR-WAS for a family cruise in July, using miles from 5 different Aadvantage accounts. As you can imagine this required a lot of planning and calls to AA, for which I received excellent customer service.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 03-06-2002).]
Old Mar 7, 2002, 8:37 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
I'm also a BA flyer and I seem to recall that they will sell you the last 5000 miles for a hundred bucks.

Only other people I know you will actually loan you miles are Diners.
Old Mar 7, 2002, 8:51 am

Going 160,000 miles negative for LH Senators! And I will and just pull out.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm taking a friend on a trip to Paris. My ticket will be paid coach, upgraded to business, the other ticket is a business award. Total cost is 140k.

I've got 142k in my account right now, but 15k will be coming out for a domestic o-w upgrade, so I'm going to be 13k short for the other trip.

The trip to CDG is at the end of next month, and by the week before it I'll have earned much more than the 13k miles I need.

What should I do? Here are the options I thought of -

(1)The domestic upgrade isn't needed until June. I put in a request for it online, but they haven't taken the miles yet. I could call and try to stop it.

(2)If I can't stop the award, I can pay the fee and get the miles reinstated.

(3)I can wait until a few days before the CDG trip and claim the 25k mile o-w upgrade that I'd be short the miles on (I'd claim the biz class ticket and one of the upgrades in advance of the 21 day window). I'd have to pay the expidite fee on this award.

(4) Buy the extra miles ($400) - not so hot on this idea.

(5) ?

Thanks for your help,

d
Old Mar 14, 2002, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Not sure I fully understand. Are you waiting for the upgrade to CDG to clear? If so, AA will waitlist you for upgrades but not extract your miles until you clear. We are doing this now for two upgrades to ZRH, using certs.

Sorry if this is not relevant.
Old Mar 14, 2002, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I'm cleared for all of the travel - the J award to CDG and both upgrades to CDG, adding up to 140k.

The problem is, I requested a 15k domestic upgrade last week. They haven't taken the miles out of my account yet, but I only have about 140k miles in my account, so I'm going to be in debt by about 15k for the CDG awards.

I won't earn another 15k miles until about a week before the CDG trip, which is inside the 21 day free award claiming time. Though I don't need the domestic upgrade until June, I requested it so far in advance because I didn't think I was going to be using any of my miles until after then...

d
Old Mar 16, 2002, 9:43 pm

If you are with in 500 miles of the amount you need for an award we will loan you the rest. This is called the 500 mile buffer. But, just the other day I had a passenger on the phone that need about 1,250 and they where able to pay $25.00 for that. But, don't for get you can buy miles on line but, there is a service charge for that which is also $25.00. You can only buy miles on AA.com

Hope this helps.

Your friendly American Airlines Agent.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Welcome AdvantageResAgent! I see that you are a newcomer (3 posts). Hope you will be a regular poster so that we can get authoritative answers, rather than rumors and guesses.

Great to have you here!

PS. Please don't be offended when some posters bash AA.

------------------
1MM AAPLT
Marriott Gold
Old Mar 18, 2002, 8:52 am

Hello SeAAttle, thanks so much. Yes, I will keep posting. I love message boards expecially when I might be able to answer some qustions. I was on the computer the other day and I had an Ex Plat member IM me and told me about this site. This is a really neat site.
I hope to be very helpful to all.

Your friendly AA Agent

PS> I have learned to not take it personally when others bash AA. Believe me I hear it everyday on the phone. I am use to it. And I know that if they are upset they are not upset at me personally they are just upset at the situation.

[This message has been edited by AdvantageReservationAgent (edited 03-18-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.