Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

● For up-to-date information on AA's inclement weather travel policy for post-Sandy and other events, see: AA Travel Alerts / Travel Notices and Policy

● For Sandy-specific information, see Hurricane Sandy East Coast - Travel Notice Exception Advisory

● AA OSO (Off Schedule Operations) desk for day of flight issues: 1-800-446-7834 (or your status or reservations line)

● To quickly check your flight: AA Gates and Times page or, as supergrandslam suggests, the AA cargo site.

● To check flight status overall, see FAA NE airports flight delay information or FlightStats Global Delays and Airport Tracker

● For additional information on NYC travel disruptions, see this thread in the NYC Forum: Hurricane Sandy - Emergency Measures and Travel Impacts (Oct 2012)

N.B. Weather is a rapidly changing event, so be sure to check sources regularly. A post-Sandy "Nor'easter" is headed to the area at this moment.

/AA Forum Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Sandy (and post-Sandy) impacts and related issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:51 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
... as the title says, what the heck is going on at AA? Why haven't they issued a blanket policy for the eastern seaboard? It isn't like there is uncertainty if there will be a major impact Sunday-Tuesday so why haven't they issued one? It seems irresponsible at this point!
Which airlines have issued policies at this point?

Already being discussed in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ane-sandy.html
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
Which airlines have issued policies at this point?
None, why the collective delay?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
None, why the collective delay?
I think US might have in the last hour.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:58 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i would go on a weekend trip....ret is on sun/mon?

if a delay on the ret is critical, cancel & get a voucher....
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by clacko
i would go on a weekend trip....ret is on sun/mon?

if a delay on the ret is critical, cancel & get a voucher....
Return Monday evening, departing DCA at 5pm. Guaranteed to be canceled and I can't afford to be stuck for days which is very likely at this point. My point for starting the thread is that I am surprised AA, and the airlines appear to be sitting on their hands when it is clear a massive storm is going to shut the east coast down for days.

Get the waiver out and add/edit as necessary, why is that so complicated? They collectively appear complacent.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:04 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

R.... My point for starting the thread is that I am surprised AA, and the airlines appear to be sitting on their hands when it is clear a massive storm is going to shut the east coast down for days.
There was already a thread on this topic....
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:05 pm

I have a weekend trip booked to leave SFO on a redeye tonight and won't go
Why not go and then change your return if weather ends up warranting a change?

It's inconvenient for me, but I'm not going to complain just because AA hasn't instituted the capacity for me to get a free, more convenient schedule change yet.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:06 pm

Return Monday evening, departing DCA at 5pm. Guaranteed to be canceled
Monday evening is nowhere near guaranteed to be cancelled.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Why not go and then change your return if weather ends up warranting a change?

It's inconvenient for me, but I'm not going to complain just because AA hasn't instituted the capacity for me to get a free, more convenient schedule change yet.
Simple: I need to be back on the west coast on Tuesday. It is very possible this will be a drawn out event and we all know how even once flight ops start to resume, flights will be sold out for days since there isn't excess capacity in the system anymore.

For me the entire question is around why the delay in issuing the policy - I am not debating whether to go, just baffled as to why they don't try and get ahead of this thing sooner than later.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:11 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simple: I need to be back on the west coast on Tuesday. It is very possible this will be a drawn out event and we all know how even once flight ops start to resume, flights will be sold out for days since there isn't excess capacity in the system anymore.

For me the entire question is around why the delay in issuing the policy - I am not debating whether to go, just baffled as to why they don't try and get ahead of this thing sooner than later.

Why the delay - the storm could track further north or east than expected. Then the Airline has absorbed the costs for all changes that are not necessary in the end.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:11 pm

I just don't see why this is already considered too late in your eyes. Nobody is being affected on any flight ops right now in the areas you are referencing. When it becomes abundantly clear that flight ops will need to be modified (as you could possibly argue now, or as many who have seen the "devastating storm inbound" claim before, later) then a policy should be issued. Until then, I am thankful that AA isn't turning away change free revenue.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:17 pm

I just don't see why this is already considered too late in your eyes. Nobody is being affected on any flight ops right now in the areas you are referencing. When it becomes abundantly clear that flight ops will need to be modified (as you could possibly argue now, or as many who have seen the "devastating storm inbound" claim before, later) then a policy should be issued. Until then, I am thankful that AA isn't turning away change free revenue.
The point is that by issuing a policy when they know an area will be impacted significantly, you get people out of the 'system' who don't absolutely HAVE to fly - I.E. short business or personal trips. You do this because you know flights will be sold out for days after the storm as you try to return operations to normal. The fewer people you have to reaccomodate, the better - both from an available-seats perspective and a customer-optics perspective - "this airline is proactively trying to avoid problems" vs. "this airline will let the s*it hit the fan then hope the clean up team does a good job"
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:20 pm

The point is that by issuing a policy when they know an area might be impacted significantly, you get revenue out of the 'system' who don't absolutely HAVE to fly - I.E. short business or personal trips. You do this because you prematurely assume flights will be sold out for days after the storm as you try to return operations to normal. The fewer people you have to reaccomodate, the better - both from an available-seats perspective and a customer-optics perspective - "this airline is proactively trying to turn away potential fee revenue" vs. "this airline will let the s*it approach the fan ominously then hope the clean up team does a good job"
I fixed it for ya.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:23 pm

I fixed it for ya.
lol. Well, the dominoes should hopefully start to fall - US Airways has a waiver up thru 10/31 RDU to BOS.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:24 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fixed it for ya.
Well done!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.