Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan earthquake related AA events / flight diversions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by concorde02
I am thinking the same thing. I have an on-ward award ticket on TG and if I change the connecting point... it would be hard to coordinate especially at PVG/PEK that I am not sure that the agent will not me check in on the flight without a VISA...
In transit at both airports, you are allowed 24 hours visa free as long as you can provide confirmed documentation of an onward flight (you are even allowed to leave the airport).

At PVG, U.S. citizens are allowed 48 hours. I have availed myself of this before, but be advised that many of the frontline immigration officers aren't aware of this, and you may need to be persistent, request a supervisor, etc. At the end of the day, it's always fine--- just takes a few extra minutes.

This information is stored in TIMATIC, which most airlines use for checking documentation requirements, so you should be okay when boarding in Japan. (if they balk, tell them to check the database).
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 100k, Hyatt Globalist, Hhonors Diamond, Marriot Platinum
@leyroystl
I have been in Tokyo for 4 weeks and am leaving back to US today. I was here during the erathquake and 2 days after that. There was no major damage in Tokyo. The trains are resuming normal operation and airports are back to normal. I was infact out sightseeing yesterday (asakusa and akhibara) and 70-80% of the places were open. I guess this was because most of the employees were not able to return home on the night of earthquake. If you are planning to visit tokyo and places south of tokyo, i would say go ahead as long as the nuclear issue is resolved. I am more concerned about nuclear issue that the earthquake. I am just chiiping in with my experience. ultimately decision is yours.

Last edited by pointsrunner; Mar 12, 2011 at 9:02 pm Reason: Adding comments
Old Mar 12, 2011, 9:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AAbsolutely! I agree... Japan has much better and higher preparedness and response than most people do, and I think it would actually help if people followed through with their visiting plans. The extras would be a nice gesture, especially as AA elites are allowed more bags.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Quite the contrary; I myself am a Japanese-American who visits Japan annually so I know what the country is like and how they handle crises like these by being there first hand during the Great Hanshin Earthquake that struck Kobe back in the early 1990s.

Keep in mind that Tokyo was pretty much spared as the hardest hit is near the epicenter is in the Northern region of Japan, notably near Sendai. Unless your plans included visiting this region it should be okay.

And to put it straight-forwardly, it would actually help Japan by continuing to have tourists still coming in as any economical activity will contribute to generating revenue into the economy which in turn goes into helping the victims.

Japan is a self-sustaining country whose citizens are are very diligent and remain calm even after going through such a catastrophe; just like the Great Hanshin Earthquake that struck Kobe back in the early 1990s, you're not going to see looting or chaos. Rather, it may give you renewed view of Japan by visiting the country facing such a crisis to see that everyone works together helping each other out. So don't think of yourself as "just getting in the way," rather, think of ways in which you can contribute to the relief effort while you're there.

If I were in your shoes, I'd still go to Japan 2 wks from now. But at the same time I'd also bring some spare blankets, clothes and any other charitable items to donate to the local charity centers that are popping up all over Japan now. Your place of stay would gladly accept them on your behalf for donation. Visiting a Japan Red Cross center during your stay to donate some of your blood would also be of great help as well.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I'm booked on AA JFK-NRT March 25th. I intend to go as planned. Will post my experiences.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by JDiver
The extras would be a nice gesture, especially as AA elites are allowed more bags.
+1 ^

Watching official Japanese local news on Ustream, the hardest hit areas lack water, blankets and electricity because the people are cut-off from the rest of Japan from the tsunami muds. Those who sought refuge in high lying places are stranded on the rooftops of their homes/schools/etc. with no way out. Supplies are running out and since the roads, rails, and Sendai Airport all under mud. The only way to get supplies to the survivors are via helicopter or via alternate airports in the area that were spared from the damage.

Seems like flights to NRT and HND are resuming as normal now. So if you're going to Japan anyway in the upcoming days and have a spare luggage set that you don't use anymore, why not do a good deed to bring that along with much needed supplies as an "one-way checked charity luggage" directly to Japan? Moreso if you're landing at HND as it's the same domestic airport that flies to many of the alternate airports in the Tohoku region.

From the top of my head a checked charity luggage set could be compiled which contains:

1. Bottled water
2. Blankets
3. DC/AC power inverters so they can plug it into their DC powers in their cars that were spared the tsunami so that they can recharge their cell phones or laptops to send/receive telecommunications
4. Dried fruits, nuts, etc.
5. a cheap LED flashlight - uses AAA batteries, cheap ones go for as low as $2.00 or so at local auto stores (O'Reilly/Kragen/Checkers)
6. Rechargeable AA/AAA batteries that can be used in conjuction with #3 and #5. Usually CVS or Walgreens carries these in which the AA has a wall charger in it and you can buy the charger + AAA set both for $9.99.
7. Sanitary and female hygiene products

Last edited by kebosabi; Mar 12, 2011 at 11:22 pm
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Although a nice gesture I seriously doubt your charity luggage will make it to the area in need, it will most likely sit at the airport. Much of what has been posted on FT about this disaster should be taken as good reading material. I work with a emergency team here in the SF Bay that respond to disasters such as these. My organization has sent emergency personal to Haiti, Chile and other places in need.

If you want to help, give to the Red Cross or other organizations that have experience on the front line... NOT BRINGING A BAG ON AMERICAN AIRLINES.

I seriously doubt there are emergency teams waiting at the airport for these charity bags.

+1 ^

Watching Japanese local news on Ustream, right now the hardest hit areas lack water, blankets and electricity because the people are stranded/cut-off from the rest of Japan from the tsunami muds.

Seems like flights to NRT and HND are resuming as normal now. So if you're going to Japan anyway in the upcoming days and have a spare luggage set that you don't use anymore, it might be a good idea to bring that along with much needed supplies as an "one-way checked charity luggage" directly to Japan.

From the top of my head a checked charity luggage set could be compiled which contains:

1. Bottled water
2. Blankets
3. DC/AC power inverters so they can plug it into their DC powers in their cars that were spared the tsunami so that they can recharge their cell phones or laptops to send/receive telecommunications
5. a cheap LED flashlight - uses AAA batteries, cheap ones go for as low as $2.00 or so at local auto stores (O'Reilly/Kragen/Checkers)
6. Rechargeable AA/AAA batteries that can be used in conjuction with #3 and #5. Usually CVS or Walgreens carries these in which the AA has a wall charger in it and you can buy the charger + AAA set both for $9.99.

Last edited by Radiant Flyer; Mar 12, 2011 at 11:24 pm
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I seriously doubt there are emergency teams waiting at the airport for these charity bags.
To clarify, I meant charity luggage for the travler going to Japan to deliver directly to donation centers in Japan, not drop it off at NRT/HND.

If the SOP that I have experienced during the Great Hanshin Earthquake is still the same, most Japanese hotels, police boxes, and Japan Red Cross centers will gladly accept such donations.

Last edited by kebosabi; Mar 12, 2011 at 11:37 pm
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
I'm booked on AA JFK-NRT March 25th. I intend to go as planned. Will post my experiences.
I'm also booked JFK-NRT on 25 Mar, returning HND-JFK on 29 Mar. As of the moment, I intend to travel as scheduled, though I will certainly reevaluate as the date approaches.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So if you're going to Japan anyway in the upcoming days and have a spare luggage set that you don't use anymore, why not do a good deed to bring that along with much needed supplies as an "one-way checked charity luggage" directly to Japan? Moreso if you're landing at HND as it's the same domestic airport that flies to many of the alternate airports in the Tohoku region.

1. Bottled water
2. Blankets
7. Sanitary and female hygiene products
I am sorry, but while your suggestion is certainly meant well, Japan is a big country with lots of unaffected areas, so getting bottled water and food into the affected areas from within Japan should NOT be difficult (or at least not more difficult than getting a single suitcase full of supplies from NRT to the area).

The most effective way for individuals to help in situations like this is to contribute money to reputable organizations that can use it for bulk purchases and shipments.

(and off I go to donate to the Red Cross)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by barelyelite
I'm also booked JFK-NRT on 25 Mar, returning HND-JFK on 29 Mar. As of the moment, I intend to travel as scheduled, though I will certainly reevaluate as the date approaches.
I'm waiting for my upgrade to clear

I'm on NRT-JFK on March 28.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:58 pm

As a resident that was here during the earthquake, I would highly rethink your plans of coming to Japan at this time. I am in downtown Tokyo and the MIS-info re the nuke leaking radiation is so censored that most of my ex-pat friends who have very good security sources at work have been told to leave ASAP!
I have also booked for tonight out of HND.
This coming week will be very messy and blackouts will start being scheduled and the biggest fear is the radiation and other chemicals that could easily blow towards Tokyo.
By the 25 Mar you will have a better idea but remember the Japanese officials and media have been caught many times in the past 36 hours denying a meltdown when in reality it seems we have not one but two meltdowns. Radiation is the biggest fear right now but to mention that would cause widespread panic.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by travelblond
As a resident that was here during the earthquake, I would highly rethink your plans of coming to Japan at this time. I am in downtown Tokyo and the MIS-info re the nuke leaking radiation is so censored that most of my ex-pat friends who have very good security sources at work have been told to leave ASAP!
This coming week will be very messy and blackouts will start being scheduled and the biggest fear is the radiation and other chemicals that could easily blow towards Tokyo.
By the 25 Mar you will have a better idea but remember the Japanese officials and media have been caught many times in the past 36 hours denying a meltdown when in reality it seems we have not one but two meltdowns. Radiation is the biggest fear right now but to mention that would cause widespread panic.

let's hope the Nuclear situation can be detained...
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
What's alarming is that they are actually testing people for radiation exposure. If it is not a life or death situation I would not go to Japan. If you can sit back and access the situation then do so... The latest is that they fear a meltdown at two reactors at this point. As travelblond mentioned a lot of information you are getting is highly censored.

Originally Posted by travelblond
Old Mar 13, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, AF, BA, KE, SQ, CX, DL, TG
I will be on HND-JFK on 29th as well! Seems like lots of FTer are on these flights. Will leave JFK-HND on 15th, then connect with the award ticket (that I changed to connect right when I land in HND) on TG HND-BKK. As of now I think being there for 2 hours should be fine.

On the way back I will spend one day and one night in Tokyo (in NRT/out HND) will have to follow the news and see if I should change the ticket.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Earthquake Update from AA Japan

Updated at 20:30PM, Sunday, March 13

American Airlines is operating all flights as normally scheduled effective Monday, March 14.
We thank you for your patience and understanding during these difficult past few days. Our thoughts go out to all the victims and families impacted by Friday's disastrous earthquake and tsunami.

Flight Destination Time of Departure
AA134: Tokyo Haneda - New York JFK 06:40
AA176: Tokyo Narita - Dallas Ft. Worth 12:05
AA170: Tokyo Narita - Los Angeles 16:00
AA60: Tokyo Narita - Dallas-Ft. Worth 18:05
AA154: Tokyo Narita - Chicago O'Hare 18:05
AA168: Tokyo Narita - New York JFK 18:20

http://www.americanairlines.jp/intl/...ws20110311.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.