Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways Merger Rumors Resurfacing...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
JFK Terminals

AA has invested over $1bn into new Terminal 8 at JFK which is an excellent terminal. Terminal 8 is isolated and cannot be easily connected to other terminals. There is the possibility that Iberia and BA may come over to 8 from the terminal shared with United, USAirways, et al to join AirBerlin and Finnair. Terminal has the ability to expand to the location where Terminal 9 used to be.

JetBlue has invested a similar amount in the old TWA terminal (Terminal 5 I think). Excellent terminal as well although the parking lot access is a huge limitation. Not sure of capacity expansion.

Delta's Terminal 2 and 3 are jjust awful and they are negotiating with the PA to build their own $1bn terminal.

The International Arrivals terminal (Terminal 4) is between Delta and jetBlue.

Logistically, I don't know how you consolidate jetBlue and AA in that airport. USAirways is not a player at JFK but you could put them anywhere. Not sure if you can move Delta to either jetBlue or AA terminal via a sale of the terminal rights.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by george 3
Not sure if you can move Delta to either jetBlue or AA terminal via a sale of the terminal rights.
Delta are spending a sizable sum to update their existing JFK terminals, with construction already well underway. I don't see them moving anywhere in the short to medium term.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
USAirways is not a player at JFK but you could put them anywhere.
The reason AA's terminal is being underutilized is a lack of slots. Since US doesn't have slots and AA needs more, there is almost no chance US will be brought to JFK unless they merge with someone other than AA, B6 being the most likely candidate. Though a US-B6 merger is more likely than an AA-US merger, it still seems like a long shot.

In the event of an AA B6 merger the terminals would likely remain separate, but that is a great connection compared to JFK-LGA, which is currently AA's only option for additional "connecting" flights.

What would B6 be called after the merger? Maybe American Blue with a blue scissor eagle?

I also suspect the combined entity would end up with a hub at BOS, where AA's current operations in B and E are connected by B6's operations in C.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Again, no way Jose I see an AA/B6 merger although a full code share arrangement eventually IMHO is likely. T8 is indeed a very nice terminal but the B6 T5 really rules the day (sans an AC or lounge of course). The place does not even feel like an airport.

In the event of a code share I could see a shuttle bus service used between the two terminals.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA has invested over $1bn into new Terminal 8 at JFK which is an excellent terminal. Terminal 8 is isolated and cannot be easily connected to other terminals. There is the possibility that Iberia and BA may come over to 8 from the terminal shared with United, USAirways, et al to join AirBerlin and Finnair. Terminal has the ability to expand to the location where Terminal 9 used to be.
Actually, it's the other way around. The remaining vacant ground is where a part of T8 used to be. The current new T8 occupies the land where T9 (and part of 8) used to sit.

Logistically, I don't know how you consolidate jetBlue and AA in that airport. USAirways is not a player at JFK but you could put them anywhere. Not sure if you can move Delta to either jetBlue or AA terminal via a sale of the terminal rights.
AA scaled back the T8 project substantially after September 11, 2001, and is in discussions to build out the remaining parts of the terminal. Probably not enough space/gates to hold all of AA's partners that would join AA in T-8 plus B6, but frequent airside shuttle buses could make a connection pretty smooth.

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
The reason AA's terminal is being underutilized is a lack of slots. Since US doesn't have slots and AA needs more, there is almost no chance US will be brought to JFK unless they merge with someone other than AA, B6 being the most likely candidate. Though a US-B6 merger is more likely than an AA-US merger, it still seems like a long shot.

In the event of an AA B6 merger the terminals would likely remain separate, but that is a great connection compared to JFK-LGA, which is currently AA's only option for additional "connecting" flights.
Agreed. AA has so few JFK slots because it downsized its JFK operations substantially while it built the new T8 (along with the massive air traffic decline post-September 11, 2001) but B6 and DL (primarily its 50-seat RJs) expanded dramatically after the JFK slot regime expired. Of course, the FAA re-instated slot replacements (departure/arrival limitations requiring "authorizations") along the way, so that AA had relatively few flights (and thus, slots) once the new T8 was complete. Last year, AA traded some DCA slots to B6 for a few JFK slots. A purchase of B6 would give AA at least as many (if not more) JFK slots than DL currently holds. Along with a lot of NYC market share.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Again, no way Jose I see an AA/B6 merger although a full code share arrangement eventually IMHO is likely. T8 is indeed a very nice terminal but the B6 T5 really rules the day (sans an AC or lounge of course). The place does not even feel like an airport.

In the event of a code share I could see a shuttle bus service used between the two terminals.
Perhaps you're right and no way would AA and B6 ever combine, but as you point out, frequent airside shuttle service could alleviate the pain of connecting between the two terminals, whether those conncections exist because of greater cooperation or codeshares or outright combination.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
There's another girl out there who wants to get married very badly (US). But seriously ... different aircraft types, worse union relations than AA by far, an international hub in the same region as JFK, low cost O&D markets, and a route structure that just doesn't do much for AA apart from the Southeast that AA could deal with through RDU if it wanted.
AA couldn't make RDU or BNA work. AA long ago lost interest the the Southeast.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Charlotte is a nice city, but it's the 33rd largest metro area in the country and its domestic O&D doesn't break the top 25 in the USA, IIRC. It's a very low-O&D hub with somewhat low-fare connecting traffic. While it works for LCC, I don't see a place for it at AA if US and AA are combined.

Last edited by FWAAA; Oct 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Charlotte is a nice city, but it's the 33rd largest metro area in the country and its domestic O&D doesn't break the top 25 in the USA, IIRC. It's a very low-O&D hub with somewhat low-fare connecting traffic. While it works for LCC, I don't see a place for it at AA if US and AA are combined.
Having made numerous connections between mainline US Air and US Airways Express in Charlotte, I can tell you that it sucks.

I'll take DFW any day of the week.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Contrary to popular belief, slots are not scarce at JFK. They are actually plentiful as long as its not during peak periods, roughly 3p-8p. Given the weak long-haul market, AA is sitting on a lot of peak slots and using the on domestic flights. When market conditions improve, and AA's condition improves, AA will be able to utilize these slots for long-haul services, while expanding domestic flying acquiring slots available outside the slot scarce times.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: their are many of them
I just don't see this merger being a viable option. US is all about east coast operations. American has been clear through recent actions that it has no interest in hubs at any location Aside from : ORD, DFW, JFK, MIA, and LAX.

Here is how the merger would play out. AA would acqurie hubs at PHX, CLT, and PHL. and the DCA mini hub.

the fleets don't mesh Usairways is Mainly an Airbus fleet. except the 757s and the 737s . Though unless the engines are the same AA has zero interest in the same type of aircraft.

PHX would disppear as a hub AA would cite it is an overlap with LAX.

PHL maybe would stay as a relief hub for jfk but yet again overlap with New York Airports.

CLT sure but AA doesn't want to be in the NC market the actions at RDU demonstrate that. CLT would give AA dominent EAST COAST COVERAGE and reinforce the carribean route network.

I remember when SJU was a major hub........ can anyone say ghost town??

I just don't see this happening
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
I remember when SJU was a major hub........ can anyone say ghost town??

OMG yes! I was at SJU a couple of weekends ago, and I walked the entire length of the terminal airside. It was quite creepy to walk down the hallway of gates 1-9.....absolutely nobody there, shops boarded up, dusty broken equipment everywhere, etc.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Charlotte is a nice city, but it's the 33rd largest metro area in the country and its domestic O&D doesn't break the top 25 in the USA, IIRC.
Not to mention huge CLT employer BofA is slowly going down the tubes and eventually should be broken-up/dismantled; that will be a huge blow to CLT down the road.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Not to mention huge CLT employer BofA is slowly going down the tubes and eventually should be broken-up/dismantled; that will be a huge blow to CLT down the road.

Charlotte is one of the smallest metro areas among the mega hubs. While many hubs have service that the local O&D market couldn't support, CLT seems especially out of proportion and at risk.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by nall
Having made numerous connections between mainline US Air and US Airways Express in Charlotte, I can tell you that it sucks.

I'll take DFW any day of the week.
Yeah, but if crappy JFK is the alternative for a connection, I would take Charlotte any day. I fly largely TATL, and JFK is my number one ''avoid if at all possible'' airport on your side of the pond, followed by Dulles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.