Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: New status: how long, when earn bonus, is it automatic? issues (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Newly earned status related issues

Q. When do I actually earn status? During or after the qualifying flight?

A. You earn status upon completion of the qualifying flight you earn status on. You will earn status bonus miles on ensuing flights, not the qualifying flight (nor retroactively). (It was different a few years ago, but that policy changed.)

Q. How soon will my status show? How soon can I access oneworld lounges, ticket counters allowed by status and not ticket class, etc.?

A. Once your miles earned are reflected in your account (which could take several days if posting from some partners, your status should show in your account, and from your smartphone app.

But your new status may not be updated in pre-existing bookings; you may have to have those updated to reflect your new status on boarding passes, etc.

And there has been a bug reported in status reporting to BA.

Q. How soon will my card and baggage tags arrive?

A. Your card may arrive in a few weeks; you may wish to print a copy of your account page, rely on status reflected on boarding passes, or screen print the status card displayed by your smartphone.

Only Executive Platinum members, or those who pass a million miler milepost, will get baggage tags.

Q. Where does it show when my status expires?

A. The expiration date will not be reflected in your account. If you earned status the "regular" way, in C/Y 2015, your status will expire March 1 of 2017. For challenge-earned status, that's only true if you began your challenge June 16 of the current year or after; if prior to that, your challenge earned status will expire March 1 of 2016. (status earned during C/Y 2016 will expire March 1, 2018).

Q. If I lose my status next year, on March 1 I'll just "fall back" one level and get a "soft landing", right?

A. Unfortunately, no. You will "fall back" to the status you actually earned this year. If you're currently Executive Platinum and do not fly at all, or earn less than 25,000 EQ Miles or Points or fly sufficient segments, you can be a "white card" (no status) member March 1 of next year. "Soft landings" are no more.

Q. Can I "carry over" miles / points / segments earned late in the year to the following year for status purposes?

A. No. All EQ Miles / Points / Segments must be flown 1 Jan - 31 Dec to count (it's not when they post, it's when they're earned that counts.)

Q. How can I track my EQM and EQP earnings on aa.com?

A. Unfortunately, AA uses a somewhat arcane method for showing EQM and EQP in your account. You can see the EQM and EQP you've earned to date, but to keep track and monthly or other sums, you'll probably have to record these for yourself or use a spreadsheet.

Q. Will one[world partners recognize my status automatically?

A. Once you get your card, you may wish to carry it; there have been reports some agents have some difficulty following the letter of oneworld policies, e.g. lounge access, without it.

Q. I've flown quite a bit this year and should have earned _____ status; I credited all my flights to AA, they've all posted - but no status! What's with that?

A. Have you flown four segments marketed by American Airlines (or US Airways, during 2015)? If not, you will not earn AAdvantage status until you've flown the required minimum of four paid segments on AA marketed flights (with AA flight numbers). See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1410481-four-4-minimum-aa-us-segments-earn-keep-status-enforced-2014-a.html

Q. I'm Gold and figure with 125% EQM I should be Platinum, but only Gold is reflected in my record. Why?

A. Status bonus miles are redeemable miles, not Elite Qualifying. You only earn 100% EQ Miles, except for the rare "DEQM" promo. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-combined-airline-program/1666749-understanding-points-miles-segments-eqm-vs-eqp-aa-merged-threads.html.

Print Wikipost

FAQ: New status: how long, when earn bonus, is it automatic? issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond

I first experienced this problem back in February, when my BA boarding passes showed Ruby instead of Sapphire, and nobody could tell me why. AA and BA both just pointed fingers at each other -- AA said "looks fine from our end", BA said "we just use whatever AA tells us".

Well, this past week it happened again, but now AA is acknowledging that there is in fact an issue on their end that seems to be affecting multiple accounts. If you're having similar issues, you might want to make sure they have your # on the list.

Here's the email I received:

Code:
Our AAdvantage® elite members are special to us. Thank you for giving me
the chance to continue assisting you. 

We are aware that there is an error in the system with regard to a large
number of elite accounts which shows the incorrect elite status on 
oneworld carriers. We are working diligently to identify all of the 
accounts and find a solution to this issue. I have added your account to
the list of members affected.

Please accept our sincere apology for this inconvenience. We are eager 
to regain your goodwill and your confidence in the AAdvantage® program.

Regards,

<CSR name removed>
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Hope this is helpful to anyone who might be experiencing similar issues.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PlatPro (LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTG), HH Diamond
Incorrect AA status reflected on other oneworld airlines

I first experienced this problem back in February, when my BA boarding passes showed Ruby instead of Sapphire, and nobody could tell me why. AA and BA both just pointed fingers at each other -- AA said "looks fine from our end", BA said "we just use whatever AA tells us".

Well, this past week it happened again, but now AA is acknowledging that there is in fact an issue on their end that seems to be affecting multiple accounts. If you're having similar issues, you might want to make sure they have your # on the list.

Here's the email I received:

Code:
Our AAdvantage® elite members are special to us. Thank you for giving me
the chance to continue assisting you. 

We are aware that there is an error in the system with regard to a large
number of elite accounts which shows the incorrect elite status on 
oneworld carriers. We are working diligently to identify all of the 
accounts and find a solution to this issue. I have added your account to
the list of members affected.

Please accept our sincere apology for this inconvenience. We are eager 
to regain your goodwill and your confidence in the AAdvantage® program.

Regards,

<CSR name removed>
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Hope this is helpful to anyone who might be experiencing similar issues.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:13 am

I flew the miles, but no platinum status

I have > 60K miles, but my status still shows gold. It has for a few weeks.

My bonus miles on my last flight was 25% and not 100% and I don't have lounge access for international flights.

When does status become effective?

Is this normal?

(sorry if this answered somewhere, I searched but couldn't find a relevant answer)
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
I'm going to assume you're talking about the AAdvantage program
(if it's the US Dividend Miles program then ignore this, because I know nothing about that program)

When you say ">60K miles" are you referring to "Elite Qualifying Miles" (EQM) or merely to redeemable miles?

If you do in fact have >60K EQM AND you have flown at least four AA/US flights in 2014, then your status should have changed to PLT within a few days of the flight that got you to 50K or got you to 4 flights.
If this is the case I suggest you phone AA to get it fixed.

You can check your EQM count by logging onto aa.com and going to "My Account". However the site does not display how many AA/US flights you have flown (this has long been a requirement, but was not enforced until this year).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:49 am

thanks pandaperth.

Yes, AAdvantage and yes to the EQM miles. I checked and I have at least 4 AA/US segments.

....calling AA
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BigIrv
thanks pandaperth.

Yes, AAdvantage and yes to the EQM miles. I checked and I have at least 4 AA/US segments.

....calling AA
What did AA say when you called?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:36 am

Update: I called AA, a person answered!

She was helpful and agreed that I had done everything necessary. She said the status and missing bonus miles would be updated within 24 hours.

The status updated immediately, I'm waiting on the miles.

So far, so good.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Thanks for letting us know^
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:47 am

This thread is years old now, but I've just had the same thing happen to me on CX. Got denied lounge access . AAdvantage desk has no clue why, and could only refer me to the customer service desk, which was of course closed for the weekend. Sent a mail to see what's up... pretty frustrating.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I'm an AA PLT flying on BA tomorrow. Just looked at my boarding pass, and it says "SAPPHIRE/AA/ [My AA number]" on it.

Sounds like it's still an isolated problem.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We'll leave this here for now, though it exceeds the usual "pull date" on FlyerTalk.

/Moderator

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Did your status change between the time you purchased the ticket and when you flew? I ask because aa.com does not update newly gained status on bookings made prior to a status change. Otherwise, I've not personally experienced this problem, and I fly internationally with oneworld partners a fair amount (admittedly, my last status change was probably ~12 years ago).

And though it's inconvenient, carrying one's status card can still make a difference in receiving perquisites pertinent to one's status (most frequently, lounge and premium ticket counter access).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Did your status change between the time you purchased the ticket and when you flew? I ask because aa.com does not update newly gained status on bookings made prior to a status change.

And though it's inconvenient, carrying one's status card can still make a difference in receiving perquisites pertinent to one's status (most frequently, lounge and premium ticket counter access).
I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had a BP not list the correct status, present their card, and still be denied whatever service (lounge access, priority boarding, etc.) they were seeking.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
I'd be curious to hear if anyone has had a BP not list the correct status, present their card, and still be denied whatever service (lounge access, priority boarding, etc.) they were seeking.
I know lounge access (particularly wrt BA) the card has turned the trick, because card normally trumps boarding pass in these issues. Once or twice over the years, I've asked for a supervisor when it seemed I was about to be denied a benefit, and it was granted with an apology (hoping the employees learned something).

I can recall one or two lounge access issues and iirc HKG and LGW premium counter use and more than a couple of aircraft oardings.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 26, 2014 at 1:53 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
What I found weird is that my AA PLT card doesn't seem to mention OneWorld Sapphire on it. I've often wondered if I'm in a foreign country and need to present my card in a situation like this if they'd know it constitutes OW Sapphire.

Hasn't happened yet, though.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by evan2645
This thread is years old now, but I've just had the same thing happen to me on CX. Got denied lounge access . AAdvantage desk has no clue why, and could only refer me to the customer service desk, which was of course closed for the weekend. Sent a mail to see what's up... pretty frustrating.
Would the lounge agent not let you in even after presenting the membership card?

Originally Posted by josmul123
What I found weird is that my AA PLT card doesn't seem to mention OneWorld Sapphire on it. I've often wondered if I'm in a foreign country and need to present my card in a situation like this if they'd know it constitutes OW Sapphire.
The membership card has the blue oval on it denoting the sapphire status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.