Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to JFK Transcontinental Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:54 am
Original Poster

LAX to JFK Transcontinental Upgrades

How do they fill all the seats in First? I know all the seats in Business get filled by elites getting upgraded, but can you get upgraded to First as a result of your status? What are the ways to get into first using upgrades?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
They fill them by people who pay for them.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Guess I should have stated the obvious..."how do they fill the seats that they cannot sell?"

In the case that the flight is about to go out with open seats...do they just stay open?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
They don't and are fine flying out with empty F class cabins.....want F? Buy into J and use 15K miles or buy miles for a decent conversion.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by acwolf
In the case that the flight is about to go out with open seats...do they just stay open?
Yes.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are Y-->J upgrades tough on these flights? Connecting EXP booked about a month out and now heading down to the wire. I waitlisted SWU at booking but am now inside the upgrade window and sweating it out. Down to J3 now!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
"how do they fill the seats that they cannot sell?"
Non-revenue. There are plenty of them. Most of the time, F will go out full with plenty of non-revenue seated in F.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by 869
Are Y-->J upgrades tough on these flights?
Yes.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
I think these flights are often oversold in Y, as most of my flights have included last minute op-ups from C-F for 1-2 lucky folks (presumably people who actually paid for C) as well as 1-2 Y passengers who didn't pay for upgrades, but got to ride in C (they always seem more excited than the C-F passengers - wonder why).

So you can get into F by paying for C and hoping for an op-up, but they won't do it to fill F, they'll only do it to make room further back.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do they fill all the seats in First? I know all the seats in Business get filled by elites getting upgraded, but can you get upgraded to First as a result of your status? What are the ways to get into first using upgrades?
Guess I should have stated the obvious..."how do they fill the seats that they cannot sell?"

Welcome to Flyertalk.

As others have noted, an upgrade to F is unlikely unless you buy a business class fare and use miles or SWU. While lucky exceptions exist, double upgrades don't happen, unsupported upgrades (just 'cause you have status) don't happen and operational upgrades can't be predicted.

One great way to sit in F is to redeem a MileSAAver award for a mere 32,500 miles, which is cheap no matter how you value miles. For today, LAX-JFK, several flights are showing Z class (MileSAAver) availability. Some have several seats available.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Yes.
But it also depends on when you fly. On a Saturday these upgrades aren't tough. As a PLAT, I usually get upgraded on the route, even post-762, but I also don't fly during peak business times.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
On a Saturday these upgrades aren't tough.
Since OP mentioned that it was "down to the wire" and inside the window at J3 without the upgrade clearing, I figured that this was not the situation here.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now, C inventory is available on several flights today (Friday) and tomorrow (Saturday). Upgrades can be tough, but not impossible. Flexibility always helps.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yes.
I can't even clear a saturday morning 8am DFW-LAX/sfo on a 76 with 20 open seats until 3am that day so this may just be hopeless.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Business Extra

Using BXP-1 on a SJU-JFK-LAX-HNL all F except AA 3 out of JFK got me up front. Only three pax, FA for each, just superb. BTY, total booking cost less than $800 last January-total EQP in excess of 13K. Great run...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.