Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Miles to Asia?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Earning Miles to Asia?

Is it just me or does it seem like AA is terrible for earning miles to Asia on partners. I just finished booking a flight on Cathay, and then I checked to see that I would earn 0 miles on the flight. 0. Turn to JAL, 50%. Malaysia... In fact, to earn full miles, I would have to fly through Europe on much more expensive routes.

Am I missing something? Can I book anything to Asia and earn full miles that isn't a full priced economy ticket?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jkroncke
Is it just me or does it seem like AA is terrible for earning miles to Asia on partners. I just finished booking a flight on Cathay, and then I checked to see that I would earn 0 miles on the flight. 0. Turn to JAL, 50%. Malaysia... In fact, to earn full miles, I would have to fly through Europe on much more expensive routes.

Am I missing something? Can I book anything to Asia and earn full miles that isn't a full priced economy ticket?
If you book an AA codeshare on the partner airlines, you'll earn 100% miles on all published fare classes.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mba0005
If you book an AA codeshare on the partner airlines, you'll earn 100% miles on all published fare classes.
This! Codeshares are a great option. I've seen them cost from a little bit more to a lot more though, so it really depends on how valuable the miles are to you.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jkroncke
There's no mystery - it's all in the earnings chart.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...lines/main.jsp
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mba0005
Thank you for the reply. I posted this after I got off the phone with AA - the reservations person said I would earn the partner miles. I read off one of the itineraries I had that included JAL and they said I would earn 50% on the codeshare flights. So the reservations person was just flat wrong? Urgh...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Are your actual flight numbers AA flight numbers or partner airline flight numbers?

If AA flight numbers, then you earn full miles
If partner airline flight numbers then you earn as per the chart on aa.com for that airline
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

They are AA numbers...phew, I was about to rearrange my whole itinerary (I am about to hit another status level on this flight).

Thanks all!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Arrow Credit

How long should it take for American to credit the miles you earned on a codeshared flight?
In April 2014, I flew American metal [I know it was AA 153 & AA 154.] on a codeshared flight of Malaysia Airlines from ORD-NRT. (The flight was sold as MH 9389 & MH 9426.)
It still hasn't credited me with the miles.
The last response I got from AAdvantage is, "Malaysia hasn't released the mileage to us yet." Malaysia Airlines may be experiencing a lot of other problems these days, but 'releasing' miles to its codeshare partners should not be one of them. What do you recommend I do now to get these miles credited?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.