Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When is US adding main cabin extra to the existing fleet?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
When is US adding main cabin extra to the existing fleet?

Why wouldn't they be doing this as they reaping the planes.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:13 pm

Not likely for the time being due to painting and other integrations. But may never add them to existing us planes
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: WFBF
Why not do it during repainting? Because it's more complex and time-consuming than painting, and thus takes the plane out of service longer (read: costs more money).

Ideal time to re-do the interior of a plane is during one of the more in-depth maintenance check when the plane's out for a while and being taken apart and put back together again anyway.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Why not do it during repainting? Because it's more complex and time-consuming than painting, and thus takes the plane out of service longer (read: costs more money).
Delta managed to get it done. From a February 2011 announcement date it added Economy Comfort to ~160 long-haul planes from Feb.-June 2011, and then to ~800 2-class domestic planes (including the 'big RJs') by June 2012. Sixteen months total. Half that time is already gone since the AA/US merger and not one US plane has been converted, and the company is still receiving new aircraft in the old US configurations.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA, UA
They could start calling the exit and bulkhead rows MCE.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, that's incorrect.

Removing one row of seats and re-pitching several adjacent rows on a single aisle plane is a simple job requiring the labor of a small team of mechanics for one overnight shift.

When AA implemented MCE, it used outsourced, contract maintenance in Boston and San Diego for much of the work, and AA managed to finish MCE on every plane in the fleet within about a year of the announcement (except for the 772s and the 762s, which were not converted).

I agree that doing the work during painting makes no sense, and that's why it's not being done during painting. Planes are masked carefully for painting, making it nearly impossible for interior maintenance to occur. Painting a plane takes more like a week than the simple overnight re-pitching of several rows of seats.

Ideal time to re-do the interior of a plane is during one of the more in-depth maintenance check when the plane's out for a while and being taken apart and put back together again anyway.
While that isn't a bad time to implement MCE, it's nonsensical to wait for a heavy check to do the work, as most single-aisle planes aren't "taken apart and put back together" but every five or six years.

A couple dozen or more 763s are getting all-new business class seats over the next few months and AA isn't waiting for a heavy check to do that extensive remodel.

The 772s are getting an all-new interior and accordingly, they may be getting that work during a heavy check. AA says that every C check of a widebody is a heavy check and that those occur about every 18 months or so. As AA is now overhauling the 772s in HKG, it's logical that they will see their complete new interior during that check.

Removing one row of economy seats and adjusting several others isn't in the same league as a heavy check. It appears that new AA's version of MCE doesn't even involve removing a row of seats - but merely shoving the first class seats closer together and perhaps shoving the non-MCE econ seats ahead of the exit rows closer together. That might require two days of labor instead of one overnight.

We know what Parker thinks about expanded legroom (very little) thanks to the DoJ.

Generally, airline execs like to announce improvements even when those improvements aren't immediate. Even when their implementation is months (or even years) into the future.

To date, AA has said nothing about MCE on the legacy US fleet and has announced no timetables for its implementation. Strange. When AA bought TWA, AA announced that the TWA fleet (more than 200 planes) would receive MRTC and within several months of the acquisition, all TWA planes featured MRTC. That purchase closed on April 10, 2001, and TWA's mechanics worked feverishly to remove two rows of seats from each plane and re-pitch every other row, and that was done, in most cases, in one night. From April 10 until late in the year. During the "busy travel season."

It's clear that new AA is dragging its heels on MCE for the legacy US fleet. It's obvious that new management doesn't want to do it.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
They may be able to get away with the a321s as there are something like 20 amazing y seats that could be sold as mce, but the a319 and a320 can be a horrid experience when booking day of as there are very few good y seats. With aa moving towards putting the 319 on cross country flights it simply must be done. I actually will book delta lax-rdu and pay for economy comfort before I get on the now scheduled us a319 and sit in economy nothing for 5 hours - I just will not pay $569 and sit in us coach for five hours - never.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
No, that's incorrect.

Removing one row of seats and re-pitching several adjacent rows on a single aisle plane is a simple job requiring the labor of a small team of mechanics for one overnight shift.

When AA implemented MCE, it used outsourced, contract maintenance in Boston and San Diego for much of the work, and AA managed to finish MCE on every plane in the fleet within about a year of the announcement (except for the 772s and the 762s, which were not converted).

I agree that doing the work during painting makes no sense, and that's why it's not being done during painting. Planes are masked carefully for painting, making it nearly impossible for interior maintenance to occur. Painting a plane takes more like a week than the simple overnight re-pitching of several rows of seats.

While that isn't a bad time to implement MCE, it's nonsensical to wait for a heavy check to do the work, as most single-aisle planes aren't "taken apart and put back together" but every five or six years.

A couple dozen or more 763s are getting all-new business class seats over the next few months and AA isn't waiting for a heavy check to do that extensive remodel.

The 772s are getting an all-new interior and accordingly, they may be getting that work during a heavy check. AA says that every C check of a widebody is a heavy check and that those occur about every 18 months or so. As AA is now overhauling the 772s in HKG, it's logical that they will see their complete new interior during that check.

Removing one row of economy seats and adjusting several others isn't in the same league as a heavy check. It appears that new AA's version of MCE doesn't even involve removing a row of seats - but merely shoving the first class seats closer together and perhaps shoving the non-MCE econ seats ahead of the exit rows closer together. That might require two days of labor instead of one overnight.

We know what Parker thinks about expanded legroom (very little) thanks to the DoJ.

Generally, airline execs like to announce improvements even when those improvements aren't immediate. Even when their implementation is months (or even years) into the future.

To date, AA has said nothing about MCE on the legacy US fleet and has announced no timetables for its implementation. Strange. When AA bought TWA, AA announced that the TWA fleet (more than 200 planes) would receive MRTC and within several months of the acquisition, all TWA planes featured MRTC. That purchase closed on April 10, 2001, and TWA's mechanics worked feverishly to remove two rows of seats from each plane and re-pitch every other row, and that was done, in most cases, in one night. From April 10 until late in the year. During the "busy travel season."

It's clear that new AA is dragging its heels on MCE for the legacy US fleet. It's obvious that new management doesn't want to do it.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AA has always struggled reconfiguring its fleet. I mean, even today there are still 757s in the terrible old 22F configuration.

God knows how long it will take the airline to retrofit the US planes with MCE.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by fly747first
AA has always struggled reconfiguring its fleet. I mean, even today there are still 757s in the terrible old 22F configuration.

God knows how long it will take the airline to retrofit the US planes with MCE.
I agree, however, that implementing MCE on the US fleet is essential to competing with Delta and UAs offering. I would be very disappointed if MCE is not implemented; enough so to consider booking those other carriers more often.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfbloom
I agree, however, that implementing MCE on the US fleet is essential to competing with Delta and UAs offering. I would be very disappointed if MCE is not implemented; enough so to consider booking those other carriers more often.
I have a theory.

Perhaps Parker, et al have crunched numbers and concluded that:

MCE does nothing to motivate purchases of business or first class (the important passengers who really matter). The extra space required for MCE could be better used to stuff another row of seats on every plane. If AA loses a few passengers to DL or UA because of it - it won't matter - in management's view.

Parker is going it alone right now as the only airline of the three right now that is reducing meal generosity (the pmAA meal cuts and the new 1000 mile meal cutoff, subject to some exceptions). And that meal stinginess affects only first and business class.

He has some data from other airlines in case that's his thinking; over at Southwest, they have adopted really terrible seats and added an extra row. Despite the (D)Evolve seats, WN continues to show great profits and just reported that unit revenue rose strongly in August compared to a year ago. WN doesn't have anything resembling MCE, and it's printing money. WN doesn't even charge for the first two normal checked bags - and Parker does, so AA has that huge revenue stream on top of healthy fare increases.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

This wouldn't suprise me, but US saves no F inventory for day of and I am in mce probably 20% of my time. He can do whatever he wants, but economy on a 319 ain't touching this tushy.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I have a theory.

Perhaps Parker, et al have crunched numbers and concluded that:

MCE does nothing to motivate purchases of business or first class (the important passengers who really matter). The extra space required for MCE could be better used to stuff another row of seats on every plane. If AA loses a few passengers to DL or UA because of it - it won't matter - in management's view.

Parker is going it alone right now as the only airline of the three right now that is reducing meal generosity (the pmAA meal cuts and the new 1000 mile meal cutoff, subject to some exceptions). And that meal stinginess affects only first and business class.

He has some data from other airlines in case that's his thinking; over at Southwest, they have adopted really terrible seats and added an extra row. Despite the (D)Evolve seats, WN continues to show great profits and just reported that unit revenue rose strongly in August compared to a year ago. WN doesn't have anything resembling MCE, and it's printing money. WN doesn't even charge for the first two normal checked bags - and Parker does, so AA has that huge revenue stream on top of healthy fare increases.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
They really need to add MCE on their PVG to DFW flights. I would prefer a MCE aisle over the bulkead in those instances.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by morrisunc
This wouldn't suprise me, but US saves no F inventory for day of and I am in mce probably 20% of my time. He can do whatever he wants, but economy on a 319 ain't touching this tushy.
I don't find economy on the US A319 to be too bad. I fear economy on the AA A319 -- and when the US A319s are reconfigured to match.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Not really this topic, but couldn't immediately find a more suited thread.

US's fare classes being aligned to AA's:

Y->Y
B->B
M->H
H->K
Q->M
N->L
V->W
L->V
S->G
K->S
U->N
E->Q
R->E
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by riastradh
They really need to add MCE on their PVG to DFW flights. I would prefer a MCE aisle over the bulkead in those instances.
Row 31 on existing 772's isn't too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.