Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: What are AA Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: What are AA Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: aa gold
Thanks everyone. I might just do a MR and attemtpt to get PLT via the challenge, but on the other hand, im not so sure id requalify, so that may not be worth the money and time. I guess I have alot to ponder.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:24 pm

Welcome to flyertalk, bearsfanord!

If you always fly paid F, you do not need to worry about status.

Platinum will give you little benefit over what you have now (other than the bonus miles and some waived fees).

Ideally, AA would grant you Platinum status immediately with certain conditions to keep it. If you wanted to go for EXP, it might be worth it if you travel internationally.

It's amazing to me that AA still measures a customer's worth in miles flown rather than dollars spent. I expect this to change within the next year.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
It's amazing to me that AA still measures a customer's worth in miles flown rather than dollars spent. I expect this to change within the next year.
That's what ConciergeKey is for.

But, sadly, if the measures instituted by DL/UA are any indication, I think you're going to be disappointed.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: aa gold
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
Welcome to flyertalk, bearsfanord!

If you always fly paid F, you do not need to worry about status.

Platinum will give you little benefit over what you have now (other than the bonus miles and some waived fees).

Ideally, AA would grant you Platinum status immediately with certain conditions to keep it. If you wanted to go for EXP, it might be worth it if you travel internationally.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Been looking daily here for years, figured id finally join the fun! Anyways, I fly my domestic routes in paid F, mostly because I think AA is very reasonably priced for many of there domestic routes on the P fares, though im sure many will disagree. But generally cant afford intl F so I guess itd be nice to get the bounus miles to save for pleasure intl travel!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bearsfanord
Long time lurker, finally signed up. Anyways, I was plat for a few years, for the past few I had no buisness travel. Back in buisness, I currently need to make a monthly ord tpa flight. I can easily complete the gold challenge, but wondering if its worth spending the money because I always make the flight in paid F. Just looking for any insight in the decision. Thanks!
I am Gold, per flying 25K miles last year.. not worth doing the challenge for gold.

Other than free bag check, not worth a whole lot. Golds board with Group 1, after March 31 golds to not get MCE for free (50% off), and 500 miles upgrades never clear. Grabbing an exit row is about the only benefit I enjoy.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by jbdk
Other than free bag check, not worth a whole lot. Golds board with Group 1, after March 31 golds to not get MCE for free (50% off), and 500 miles upgrades never clear.
I have had lots of 500 mile "sticker" upgrades clear. In fact, the first time I tried LAX-DFW it cleared.

Free bag check isn't chump change.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by jbdk
I am Gold, per flying 25K miles last year.. not worth doing the challenge for gold.

Other than free bag check, not worth a whole lot. Golds board with Group 1, after March 31 golds to not get MCE for free (50% off), and 500 miles upgrades never clear. Grabbing an exit row is about the only benefit I enjoy.
50% of my sticker upgrades clear, including elite heavy routes such as DFW-EWR and JFK-AUS.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I have had lots of 500 mile "sticker" upgrades clear. In fact, the first time I tried LAX-DFW it cleared.

Free bag check isn't chump change.
I must be very unlucky... its been > 9 months since I had a sticker upgrade clear flying at least once or twice a month. I find the stickers to be nearly worthless for the most part because of this.

The best benefit of Gold or Platinum is access to MCE and specifically exit rows.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While it might not help you now, if your travel patterns change later in the year, especially to a route with only single-class Eagle aircraft, status is always nice to have. Plus, an extra mileage bonus never hurt. I'd pay for a challenge in the OP's case.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:40 pm

I'm planning on burning miles for a friend to join us in Europe this summer. I'm AA Gold and will be booking SAAver economy for him RT to Madrid.

One problem - I'm already booked Business on DL.

Anyone know if I can have the AA Gold Desk book his ticket, and give him either MCE or Exit Row for free? And I assume his bag is free?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Last edited by mshookisin; Apr 8, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Originally Posted by mshookisin
I'm planning on burning miles for a friend to join us in Europe this summer. I'm AA Gold and will be booking SAAver economy for him RT to Madrid.

One problem - I'm already booked Business on DL.

Anyone know if I can have the AA Gold Desk book his ticket, and give him either MCE or Exit Row for free? And I assume his bag is free?

Thanks in advance!
Matt
I gather he's AA non-status...then No....since your on DL going over...then no yet again. If you flew together, then maybe...
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Is GLD Gold worth it?" This used to be a valid question pre- 4/8/2014. Now the math is much easier. Gold = $89/yr, or for me, $0 since Citi perennially waives my fee.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by kingarthur
[B]Gold = $89/yr, or for me, $0 since Citi perennially waives my fee.
how?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by vickh
how?
I believe OP is implying that AA Plat credit card has very similar benefits compare to the new gold status in AA. And I feel the same way as well. Besides the 25% miles bonus, it doesn't seem to be that huge of a difference.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sincera4565
I believe OP is implying that AA Plat credit card has very similar benefits compare to the new gold status in AA. And I feel the same way as well. Besides the 25% miles bonus, it doesn't seem to be that huge of a difference.
There's also the ability to accumulate stickers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.