Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
For discussion about rumored Flagship andd Premium Lounges at DFW, see Coming to DFW? New Flagship Lounge and Premium Lounge

The DFW international terminal was previously Terminal A. The A Admirals Club offered both an Arrivals Lounge and a Flagship Lounge. These were closed after 11 September 2001; when the decision to make terminal D the new in terminal, AA chose to build an expanded Admirals Club and omit both Flagship and Arrivals lounges. There is an AMEX Centurion lounge, and there are The Lounge at DFW and several contract lounges serving several airlines' passengers.

At DFW-A, the old Flagship Lounge still exists and is used for an occasional function or NR passenger; the old Arrivals Lounge is still there, and though no longer in service it's showers -arguably the most spacious and luxurious in the AA system - and small gym remain for knowing passenger's or member's use. Look for these facilities on your immediate left (FL) and right (AL) as you exit the elevators on the second (Club) floor. The legendary showers and mini workout room are gone as of 2017
Print Wikipost

Why is there no Flagship Lounge / FL at DFW? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Why is there no Flagship Lounge / FL at DFW? (consolidated)

It seems they have 4 or 5 lounges, but no Flagship at DFW ???
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
You are correct. 4 ACs, but no FL, at DFW.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:53 am

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/UCHA1 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

They did have one in the A23 Admiral's Club. !t has since been converted to general ADM space a la BOS. It was closed four or five years ago in a round of price cuts; there was not enough premium traffic or need for distinction (competition) in the DFW market to justify a F lounge. When DFW Termnial D was finished in 2005, AA didn't build a FL space. For DFW, it seems the Admiral's Club is adequate for AA's focus in the fortress hub.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
There are simply not enough three-class int'l flights or int'l F competition to warrant a Flagship lounge in DFW.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can see MIA getting its FL back once the D concourse construction is finished. What's the estimate on that? 2016 or so?

BOS? Might happen again someday if DL tries to make BOS an international gateway and if fuel stays cheap/gets cheaper and the industry recovers from the current slump. And if AA keeps its F cabins and/or expands them (like installs them on the 787s).

DFW? Same as BOS with respect to fuel and industry health and fleet. AA may never have much premium long-haul competition at DFW, but far into the future, AA will be competing fiercely with an even-stronger Delta and its hub at ATL. As DL continues to expand its ultra-longhaul routes and adds first-class-style flat beds/suites to its business class cabins, a case might be made for a Flagship Lounge at DFW. May depend on how lavish a lounge DL provides at ATL.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
IMHO, there's no business reason for such a lounge at DFW. Only flights with F service are FRA, LHR & NRT. The only route they have a F-class competitor on is BA (LH uses a 2-class bird to DFW). I'd venture to guess folks who fly F to LHR on AA instead of BA are doing it because of company policy or are using miles. In other words, they're not choosing AA because they might have a superior lounge product.

In the end, I think it boils down to this: AA doesn't have a Flagship Lounge at DFW because they don't have to. There's simply no competition that would require it.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by stratofortress
In the end, I think it boils down to this: AA doesn't have a Flagship Lounge at DFW because they don't have to. There's simply no competition that would require it.
AND, there's nobody to help pay for it.

The only reason why there's a FL at LAX is that QF paid for it and continues to pay for a significant portion of the operating expenses.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:30 pm

IMHO, there's no business reason for such a lounge at DFW. Only flights with F service are FRA, LHR & NRT.
Don't forget EZE and GRU.
No F competition there, but both have F service.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another alternative for AA (if ex-DFW flights with F seating increase) would be to provide day rooms at one of the Hyatts for paid F pax.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Let's compare it to JFK.

1. JFK doesn't appear to have more 777 international routes. There's NRT, LHR, GRU/GIG, (what else am I missing?)
2. I don't believe anybody(like QF) helped pay for the FL at JFK.
3. There is lots of competition at JFK.
4. DFW has more EXPs travelling through it(I'm surmising), which would mean a lot more use of an FL by elites rather than F paying pax.

In the end I think it comes down to lack of competition at DFW and the large number of EXPs.

Last edited by justforfun; Nov 23, 2008 at 12:57 pm
Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO, there's no business reason for such a lounge at DFW.
You may be right (I have no idea) but since there used to be a FL at DFW, that makes me think that there once was a business reason to have a FL there.

Then the question becomes whether the lounge was closed because the business justifications for it evaporated or whether it was closed simply because of the near-bankruptcy experience in 2003? Was it closed to conserve cash despite the potential competitive harm?

2003 saw the removal of F cabins from nearly 50 763s, greatly reducing the number of potential F customers to many destinations. Maybe that helps explain it.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by justforfun
Let's compare it to JFK.

1. JFK doesn't appear to have more 777 international routes. There's NRT, LHR, GRU/GIG, (what else am I missing?)
2. I don't believe anybody(like QF) helped pay for the FL at JFK.
3. There is lots of competition at JFK.
4. DFW has more EXPs travelling through it(I'm surmising), which would mean a lot more use of an FL by elites rather than F paying pax.

In the end I think it comes down to lack of competition at DFW and the large number of EXPs.
You're forgetting the AFS to LAX and SFO...particularly the 9 or 10 daily 762 flights to LAX. AC is not good enough for all those celebrities!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
You're forgetting the AFS to LAX and SFO...particularly the 9 or 10 daily 762 flights to LAX. AC is not good enough for all those celebrities!

Very true. I wonder if that's not THE reason for an FS at JFK. But did the transcons always get lounge access, or was that a recent change(like after the FS was built)?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by justforfun
Very true. I wonder if that's not THE reason for an FS at JFK. But did the transcons always get lounge access, or was that a recent change(like after the FS was built)?
It's been that way since I can remember. 5 years or so?

Also, it's worth pointing out that JFK-LHR is (or perhaps was) a very important business route for AA. I'm not sure how many flights/day operate there, but I know it's more than DFW-LHR.

I, can't imagine the cost of staffing the separate Flagship Lounge at the DFW A23 club would have been that much. For whatever reason they didn't build one in Terminal D, which means they were likely dead set against it.

Only way I see a FL opening in DFW is if the BA/AA/IB deal goes through and the BA Terraces lounge becomes a joint-operated First Class lounge that BA picks up a portion of the tab for - similar to the LAX FL. That would be most lovely, IMHO.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by ESpen36
AND, there's nobody to help pay for it.

The only reason why there's a FL at LAX is that QF paid for it and continues to pay for a significant portion of the operating expenses.
I was just about to say the same thing. IIRC theres only one QF flight leaving from T4, all other are from TB, QF can just pay CX or open their own. OTOH, I wish there were more direct flights to intl locations from lax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.