new questions check-in zrh (ZURICH)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
new questions check-in zrh (ZURICH)

I fly from zrh to jfk several times a year (usually flt. 65). In the past, the contract agent, when you checked in would ask: (1)who packed your bag?, (2)has your bag been with you at all times?, (3)did anyone give you something to bring on board?, (4)have any of your electrical items been repaired?
Today (10/13), the questions were different: (1)how did you get to the airport?, (2)what is your favorite Swiss city? [my answer Luzern], (3)why do you like it so much [ans: pretty city, transport museum], (4)why do you like the transport museum [ans: train exhibits], (5)when you return to jfk, what zip code will you going to*?
I am certain the agent was asking questions, but really didn't care what you answered--especially the zip code, does she know all XXXXX zip codes locations in the USA?
I had printed my bp from a kiosk and could have avoided the check in (I only have carry-on), but figured it would save time at the gate.
Are other foreign airports going over to this "new question" system?
*the zip code I gave is NOT associated with my AA account--but all she could see was my bp (besides, she did NOT access the computer)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those questions seem like they are from the tourism board.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:07 pm

This is part of a new customer security screening process. A friend, who works in check-in for AA in London, told me about it. The idea is that customers, "who have nothing to hide" will act normally; and people who have something to hide won't want to answer the question and will act nervous etc.

And check in agents are taught, in training, to notice the difference between people who don't want to be asked personal questions and people who don't answer the questions and shouldn't be allowed on the aircraft.

Also check in agents have to change the questions asked from passenger to passenger. And the training was rigorous for this new security screening.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I wonder if I'm going to end up in trouble when I say "I don't really have one, I just use Zurich on my returns from Europe because I get good award availability and I don't have to pay APD like I would from the UK, France or Germany".

Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I wonder if I'm going to end up in trouble when I say "I don't really have one, I just use Zurich on my returns from Europe because I get good award availability and I don't have to pay APD like I would from the UK, France or Germany".

The Swiss understand the appeals of low taxes and discretion. Really. They have vast businesses built on those pillars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.