Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHL to MAD Business Class, Disabled Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I am trying to book a ticket for my employer who is paralyzed. Domestically, she charters private jets and this is the first time she's wanted to go to Europe since I've been in her employment. She lives pretty close to PHL (just south) so that would be the preferred airport. She is flying to Madrid at the end of Feb 2016.

So I searched for nonstop flights to Madrid from PHL< JFK< EWR< BWI or Dulles in first class. I learned there are none. She can fly on a few airlines to other airports in Europe and then on to Madrid (seems like it would be harder for her after spending a night flat on her back to then have to put up with a plane change,) or she can fly PHL to MIA and then on to Madrid on American in a Boeing 777. Or she can fly direct on American from PHL in business class in a Airbus A330. My research leads me to believe that the 777 out of MIA is an older version and that the seating isn't much different than Business class A330. Can anyone help me to figure out the differences?

The first class seating in the 777 300-ER that flies JFK to Heathrow looks great because having a space that is semi-private is important. Am I right that that plane would provide some privacy?

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may also want to check Business Class. By way of example, US (which will be AA by next February) serves PHL with 2-class aircraft. However, the seats are either lie flat or close to lie flat.

I would suggest expanding the search and then researching the specific product rather than worrying about the class of service. You might then call the carrier with any specific questions if she has specific special needs while onboard.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I did check Business Class. The AA direct flight from PHL to MAD is BC in an A330. I'm pretty sure that that will be almost the same as the F on American's flight from MIA in an old version 777, but it wouldn't be as good as a refurbished F on AA. I'm just not certain which version of the 777 flies from MIA to MAD.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:32 pm

PHL-MAD in Feb 2016 should be a 332, which has individual Pods for Business Class. The seats are Lie Flat Beds - Length = 80", Seat Pitch = 48 / Width = 20.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by perseus11
PHL-MAD in Feb 2016 should be a 332, which has individual Pods for Business Class. The seats are Lie Flat Beds - Length = 80", Seat Pitch = 48 / Width = 20.
Can you direct me to any images of that cabin? That would be really helpful. It looks like that flight might be operated by FinnAir and Seat Guru doesn't list a FinnAir 332 (I'm assuming that's a 330-200?)
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
PHL-MAD would not be operated by FinnAir.

You just need to look for the current US 332. That's what is currently scheduled to operate PHL-MAD.

In this case, a non-stop flight in flat bed J, is going to beat out any option that requires connecting.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

The more I research, the more I agree about going direct vs connecting.

It's SeatGuru that shows a FinnAir flight but I looked again and it says "operated by American Airlines." Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LisaFPA
Thanks. I did check Business Class. The AA direct flight from PHL to MAD is BC in an A330. I'm pretty sure that that will be almost the same as the F on American's flight from MIA in an old version 777, but it wouldn't be as good as a refurbished F on AA. I'm just not certain which version of the 777 flies from MIA to MAD.
There will be no "refurbished F" on the refurbished 777-200ER, as there will be no First class.

The F on the 777-300ER (77W in AA's schedule) is nice but perhaps slightly less spacious than the older 777-200ER / 772 / 77A.

The A330, 77W, refurbished 767-300ER and refurbished (not many of them yet) 777-200ER have lie flat all aisle across.

But the best thing would be to contact AA Disability Services:

Special needs and disability assistance

Traveling with special needs? We're dedicated to providing a positive travel experience for all customers. In most cases, you are not required to contact us in advance to obtain certain services if you have a disability; however, we do encourage our passengers with special needs to notify us in advance so we can prepare to provide the requested service or accommodation.

How to contact disability assistance

Current or future travel

Link: Submit your request online

Disability assistance request

Call us

800-433-7300 (Reservations)

800-543-1586 (TDD reservations services)

Need more information?
Get helpful tips on traveling with disabilities

If you're a customer with a disability and have experienced a problem on a past trip, please call us at 1-800-892-3624. We'll return your call by the end of the next business day.

We'll need:
  • Your full name
  • A daytime phone number
  • A brief description of the disability-related issue[
https://www.aa.com/i18n/contactAA/co...assistance.jsp

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 26, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Can you direct me to any images of that cabin? That would be really helpful. It looks like that flight might be operated by FinnAir and Seat Guru doesn't list a FinnAir 332 (I'm assuming that's a 330-200?)
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...-class-review/
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:25 am

The more I research, the more I agree about going direct vs connecting.

It's SeatGuru that shows a FinnAir flight but I looked again and it says "operated by American Airlines." Thanks for the help.
They sell FinnAir coded tickets on that flight, which is currently operated by US Airways. By October 18, the US Airways brand disappears disappears, operated by American Airlines. Just forget the FinnAir stuff you are reading as an unnecessary distraction.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks very much for all of your help. I actually tried calling AA Disability Assistance a few days ago. I was on the line with a regular customer service rep who tried putting me through but gave up after about 10 minutes. She left a message with the department to call me, but I never heard from them. I will try again.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
The business class on the US A330s are a slightly older version of the same J seats used by AA on the 77W and CX. They are top notch.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Just a thought (and I realize this may be getting personal), how paralyzed is she? Can she care for herself, get to the lavatory with just the use of an aisle chair (but not with assistance in/our of her seat), evacuate with limited assistance in the event of emergency, etc.? If she is unable to do so, she would most likely be required to travel with an assistant unless you were planning already to be with her.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 3:37 pm

Thanks very much for all of your help. I actually tried calling AA Disability Assistance a few days ago. I was on the line with a regular customer service rep who tried putting me through but gave up after about 10 minutes. She left a message with the department to call me, but I never heard from them. I will try again.
Why not use the link I provided above?

How to contact disability assistance

Current or future travel

Link: Submit your request online
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by JDiver
Why not use the link I provided above?
I think OP likes to check out before booking the flights. She may not get any response filling the form online (without a booking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.