Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines will no longer transport selected game trophies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold

AA formally announced they will no longer transport certain game trophies. Delta is following suit.....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...-ban/31090331/
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
AA formally announced they will no longer transport certain game trophies. Delta is following suit.....
Actually, to be fair, Delta announced first. AA seemed to demure at the beginning given that they don't directly serve Africa, but I'm guessing they quickly came around.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/delta-ba...es-on-flights/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...-ban/31090331/
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Good, but why allow other game trophies like giraffes?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Redhead
Good, but why allow other game trophies like giraffes?
Good question... ^^
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
If you want to discuss the morality or political ramifications of this issue, please take the conversation to OMNI.

This thread will stay focused tightly on this change as it relates to AA and AA passengers.

~Moderator
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
There are extra problems for airlines carrying trophies, e.g. any ungulate material from countries dealing with hoof and mouth disease, corridor disease and tuberculosis (in the case of Cape Buffalo).

There are other problems when transporting even lawfully hunted animals that require special permitting, such as CITES listed elephant and rhinocerous parts.

And I suspect airlines do not want to get caught in the middle when presented with trophy material presented as lawfully taken when they weren't. For example, a lion baited by a meat dragged by the hunter's vehicle at a national park border to adjacent land; that property turned out not to be permitted for lion hunting, and it is presumed the intent was to transport the lion carcass (once it was wounded, tracked 40 hours and shot) to yet another property which was licensed (stymied by the lion's GPS tracking collar).

They just don't want to get caught in the middle of issues like improperly taken game, hoof and mouth and other diseases, and want to avoid getting caught up on negative publicity that would affect their bottom line.

Note these airlines have stated they will no longer transport specific game trophies, not any game trophies. It's also useful to note one of the earliest airlines to put these kinds of rules in place is the airline serving a nation where significant trophy hunting occurs: South African Airlines.

Further, according to the New York Times:

Its announcement came as a group of airlines including Air France, KLM, Iberia, IAG Cargo, Singapore Airlines and Qantas signaled last week they would ban the transport of trophy-hunting kills...
and

Such a ban was initiated by South African Airways in April, and Emirates, Lufthansa and British Airways later joined. These airlines pledged not to carry big game trophies, including elephants, rhinos, lions and tigers as cargo.
Nothing really new here, other than AA is trying to protect itself.

General discussion about hunting or not, etc. DO NOT PERTAIN in the American Airlines fora; the OMNI/PR Forumis the proper venue. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2015 at 1:08 pm Reason: Spacing issue corrected
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does this also apply to historical animal trophies being transported for museum or scientific use?

These kind of moves strike me more as PR moves to try to get free press and/or PR moves with potential cost-cutting benefits for the airlines.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does this also apply to historical animal trophies being transported for museum or scientific use?

These kind of moves strike me more as PR moves to try to get free press and/or PR moves with potential cost-cutting benefits for the airlines.
Dunno. But as one who had specific permits (USDA APHIS etc.) to import certain live and dead specimens of various kinds, I suspect it might be different with US - let scientific permits. Or not, as dealing with airline employees was occasionally challenging in spite of US Federal permits.

Undoubtedly PR given DL and UA made similar announcements. But there is risk avoidance as well, given transporting parts of CITES I animals can get problematic, and buffalo (wildebeest and others to, but I never gnu a hunter who wanted a wildebeest trophy ) is a problem. (In Africa, there are barrier fences, sometimes massively huge ones, to impede movement by various ungulates due to the several diseases they carry that can threaten cattle.)

AA is merely, er, trying to dodge some potential bullets.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 4, 2015 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:09 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Again, this is not the place to discuss political views on this topic. The relevant facts have been posted. Accordingly, this thread is now closed.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.