Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Which should I take? (Offer for status with AA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I got an offer from AA today to register for one of the following complimentary statuses. I currently have no status with them. My chances are low for completing these challenges (perhaps the Gold status challenge), so keep that in mind. Which should I take?

AAdvantage Gold status through February 28, 2017

AAdvantage Platinum status with challenge (3 months)

AAdvantage Executive Platinum status with challenge (3 months)
                  Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
                  well looks like you answered your own question. If you can't complete the PLT or EXP challenges, then do the gold, but only if you can complete the meager points requirement.
                  Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:13 am
                  A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
                  well looks like you answered your own question. If you can't complete the PLT or EXP challenges, then do the gold, but only if you can complete the meager points requirement.
                  Regardless of whether the OP can get the 10,000 bonus for earning 5k qualifying points , Gold status through to end of february 2017 is worth having.

I would say that if not doing a lot of travel Gold status for 19 months is better than having Platinum or Executive Platinum for 3 months
                  Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
                  As you said, if you can't meet the challenge, go for the year and a half of gold. Also, they're not once in a lifetime like Delta.
                  Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:41 am
                  A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
                  Would you use AA a lot in 2016 if you had a high status? Low-tier would never cause me to switch carriers, but top tier + a stack of systemwide upgrades might. @:-)

If so, someone on this forum could probably help you craft an efficient 12k or 25k trip that would complete the higher challenges.
                  Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:43 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
                  How averse are you to mileage running?

If you can fly on middle of the road fares (like a V or W fare), PLT is fairly easy to reach. If you live on either coast, you can get PLT with about 2 transcon MRs, give or take.
                  Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
                  Originally Posted by Superguy
                  How averse are you to mileage running?

If you can fly on middle of the road fares (like a V or W fare), PLT is fairly easy to reach. If you live on either coast, you can get PLT with about 2 transcon MRs, give or take.
                  It'll cost just shy of 1k$, depending on the flights and sales. Something to consider.
                  Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
                  I got this offer too. It is targeted - only employees of Accenture are eligible for it.
                  Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
                  Speaking from experience as a not-too frequent flier (averaging one TATL return trip every 1.5 months or so), life as Gold has felt pretty princely already to me.

In many places you get to skip ahead at the TSA line, you get a free checked bagm and a mileage minimum. Upgrade chances aren't half bad, in my experience (don't expect upgrades hub-to-hub). You get priority boarding, so no worries about stowing your carry-on. Basically, the only amenity you miss out on is the lounges.

The benefits translate to other OW carriers as well, if you fly internationally.

All-in-all, if you don't have plans to fly a lot of AA in the near future, just go with the Gold status. Do remember to research your benefits once you do fly with them.

If you have a very specific AA flight in the next 3 months, and no plans to fly American at all afterwards: pick EXP.

Last edited by AtlanticX; Jul 15, 2015 at 6:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.