Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Trade Seats (between Y and J) during mid flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Hello...so question...two people traveling on a long haul flight....If I buy 1 Biz ticket and one Eco...can the people "trade" in-flight so they can each share the benefit of sleeping on a flat bed albeit at different times during the flight?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jayaajay
Hello...so question...two people traveling on a long haul flight....If I buy 1 Biz ticket and one Eco...can the people "trade" in-flight so they can each share the benefit of sleeping on a flat bed albeit at different times during the flight?
No. It can not be done legitimately.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
No. It can not be done legitimately.
There are lots of things that can't be done "legitimately". Jaywalking, parking in a loading zone, but the question is if the seat switch is done quietly and without fanfare, why would anyone but the most anal F/A object?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
There are lots of things that can't be done "legitimately". Jaywalking, parking in a loading zone, but the question is if the seat switch is done quietly and without fanfare, why would anyone but the most anal F/A object?
Or, as someone once said about speeding tickets, -- You don't get a ticket for speeding. You get a ticket for getting caught.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Although it is not a "right", it can usually be done with the FA being advised beforehand. The biggest issue would be if there is an attempt to get two meals out of the tactic. Often on long flights I've been offered everything at once at the beginning of service or the long, spaced out service. I could see where someone might try doing both.

Also, if the companion is a SO or the such, the sympathy card can help. "My spouse is in the back and wants to sleep...". Always ask, and ask nicely, you might be amazed at what can be done. DYKWIAs often trigger the bad service we see.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Anyone want to bet a FA has seen and hears every trick in the book,,
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by satman40
I'd love to see some actually write a book about their experience, but I'm pretty sure it would violate some employment contract. I love reading the posts from FAs.

BTW, I was not proposing making up anything, but just be honest and polite.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Ask politely, then be prepared to take "no" for an answer.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by satman40
But assuming everyone is trying to con you just makes you cynical. Not much to get from a seat switch actually, so I'm not sure what a "trick" would get someone.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
This ^
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Originally Posted by Redhead
This ^
If it is done quietly and without disturbing other passengers, what is the reason for saying no, other than being an anal rule enforcer?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jayaajay
"Passengers must remain in their ticketed cabin"
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
If it is done quietly and without disturbing other passengers, what is the reason for saying no, other than being an anal rule enforcer?
It is impossible for the FA to know, in advance, if the switch will be made quietly and without disturbing other passengers. I'd like to bet every FA will know of a situation that started out with a polite passenger request to bend the rules a bit, then went ugly.

Once the FA has seen a few of those situations, then that FA might be more inclined to be an anal rule enforcer.

Everyone knows of situations where the customer gets a break, then abuses that break. It's happened to me.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:01 pm

Really? The f/a is being anal for following the rules? Next we will see a post with someone complaining about passengers playing musical chairs in the front cabin because the f/a was too lazy to enforce the rules. It's a no win situation.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
There is also the issue of drinks and snacks being available in J, but not Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.