Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Canceling upgraded tickets and re-booking later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold

As an original member of FT and as a long time frequent traveler, I probably should know the answer to this question. But since I haven't canceled a trip in a such long time, I haven't got a clue.

I recently purchased a deeply discounted round-trip ticket, on AA, from MIA-SFO. I used 15,000 miles each way to get confirmed upgrades. I may have to cancel the trip due to an ongoing illness. If I do, what are the rules as far as re-booking the trip at a later date? And most important of all, will my two upgrades still be intact and usable if upgrades are available on the new dates?

What I do know is that I have to book the same city pairs and that there is a fee of something like $200. Any additional info would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Neal
As an original member of FT and as a long time frequent traveler, I probably should know the answer to this question. But since I haven't canceled a trip in a such long time, I haven't got a clue.

I recently purchased a deeply discounted round-trip ticket, on AA, from MIA-SFO. I used 15,000 miles each way to get confirmed upgrades. I may have to cancel the trip due to an ongoing illness. If I do, what are the rules as far as re-booking the trip at a later date? And most important of all, will my two upgrades still be intact and usable if upgrades are available on the new dates?

What I do know is that I have to book the same city pairs and that there is a fee of something like $200. Any additional info would be much appreciated.
Normally, when you cancel a reservation that has been upgraded with miles+copay, the copay is nonrefundable, but I believe the miles can be redeposited (although I would assume there may be fees for doing so for non-EXPs). However, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone answer your specific question about whether the upgrades could remain intact if you use the unused portion of the ticket, less change fees, for future travel between the same cities. If I had to guess, I would say you would have to start from scratch with the upgrade requests, but why not simply call AA and ask them what the current policy is?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metallo
Normally, when you cancel a reservation that has been upgraded with miles+copay, the copay is nonrefundable, but I believe the miles can be redeposited (although I would assume there may be fees for doing so for non-EXPs). However, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone answer your specific question about whether the upgrades could remain intact if you use the unused portion of the ticket, less change fees, for future travel between the same cities. If I had to guess, I would say you would have to start from scratch with the upgrade requests, but why not simply call AA and ask them what the current policy is?
Actually, I did call AA and was told my upgrades would remain in place. But I wasn't entirely comfortable with her answer as she didn't sound all that sure of herself. I suppose I should just call again and see what the next reps says. Thanks for the reply!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
If you change your reservation and are still using the same type of upgrade award, then you don't have to pay any additional fees to maintain the upgrades (if available). However if you cancel your reservation, the upgrades are cancelled as well, the miles redeposited to your account, a redeposit fee is charged and you forfeit the upgrade co-pay. You do not retain the upgrades if you flat out cancel your reservation.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Don't worry.

Actually, I did call AA and was told my upgrades would remain in place. But I wasn't entirely comfortable with her answer as she didn't sound all that sure of herself. I suppose I should just call again and see what the next reps says. Thanks for the reply!
The upgrade remain for whatever routing you use the ticket for. As long as upgrade space is available of course. For one year from original purchase
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver

You can cancel the ticket and keep the upgrades intact - effectively you have an A-class ticket. You can rebook for any trip you like, but if you want to take advantage of the A-class, you'll need to find flights with A availability when you make the new booking and apply the ticket# credit.

I think you could change the ticket and keep the upgrades as waitlisted, but if they didn't clear then you'd lose them.

If you're going to fly transcontinental at all in the next 12 months, then I wouldn't pay the reinstatement fees.

[for the record, I did this about 15 months ago - the rules could, of course, have changed since then - and the rules probably don't let you use the ticket on US yet]
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. I'm still hoping to take the trip but at least if I don't, I have an idea of what my options are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.