Wiki Posts
Search

767 Out Of DFW To HNL And/Or OGG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:48 am
Original Poster

767 Out Of DFW To HNL And/Or OGG

Greetings,

As everyone knows, AA has ceased operation of flights 72/73 out of ORD. These flights were on a 767-300. It appears for the time being that AA has changed over from the 767 on some flights to a 757 on all west coast flights to Hawaii. This leaves only DFW with 767 service to either HNL or OGG.

With all of that said, has service improved or diminished on the 767 out of DFW to the islands? I didn't know if for example that AA would hand out IFE's to first passengers now, dinner selections improved, etc. Maybe they would consider this more of an "international" route now (similar to CO), even though it is a domestic route.

Also, any word if AA is planning to eliminate these 767 flights in the future and force everyone to go through a west coast airport in order to get to Hawaii?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
I just flew HNL-DFW last week. No change in service from August when I did the same. Just the same two meal entree choices (ravioli and a Sam Choy beef - the rib is gone and replaced with a steak) and no personal IFE unit. I'm just grateful they still have the Glenlivet.

I highly doubt that AA would give out personal IFE's on this route. I see no incentive for them to do it. As far as getting rid of the route altogether, I doubt it as the flights still fill up and the morning DFW departures give east coast pax a good connection.

I think the reason they got rid of the ORD-HNL route was purely a lack of pax overall. Tourism to Hawaii is down about 20% and AA just responded by taking some seats out of the market and putting the a/c to better use. However, if things turn up there is always the possibility of it returning. ^
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Inlanikai is absolutely right. When the tourism slump is over and people are ready to go to Hawaii again I bet AA will reinstate the ORD service.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: AA 3MM, PLT
We flew from HNL to the mainland in December via DFW and returned a few days ago. 2 choices of entrées, the ravioli and a Sam Choy salmon dish, which was actually pretty good.
The announcement that the ORD-HNL route was being cut was made months and months ago, long before the tourist slump hit here. It was in response to the skyrocketing cost of fuel last year - remember that? -- according to what we've been told. Will it return - I sure hope so!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are just higher yield routes for an internationally configured 767-300ER than ORD-HNL. AA's lower cost/seat mile aircraft (A300s and 757s) don't have the range. As for services, it's a domestic flight: again and again, most people choose price over service.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Last yr I was on AA283 MIA-LAX-HNL. On MIA-LAX they offered to give me IFE but I didn't take it. On LAX-HNL, I didn't realize until much later that they hadn't offered it.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are just higher yield routes for an internationally configured 767-300ER than ORD-HNL. AA's lower cost/seat mile aircraft (A300s and 757s) don't have the range. As for services, it's a domestic flight: again and again, most people choose price over service.

Well argued. I believe you are exactly correct. The equipment will make more money for AA elsewhere, as sad as it is for the rest of us (HNL-ORD was the only eastbound midcon that allowed any real sleep; HNL-DFW is simply too short for proper sleep between the F meal services).

I fly to HNL a couple of times a year DFW-HNL-DFW and the flights are always completely full, every single seat taken. Now, that doesn't tell us anything about yield, but clearly load factor is not an issue in the DFW-HNL market.

This issue of equipment utilization makes me wonder why AA sends the S80s back and forth on 40-minute DFW-AUS runs all day, often pretty empty, instead of moving a few of them to operate some runs on the East Coast (BOS-LGA-DCA-etc) that sadly have become all Eaglized. But now I'm OT...sorry.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
No one should have to co-pay for those crappy 757s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.