Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2006 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW - AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plt Royal Amb., Avis PS, FT Premium!!
Arrow 2006 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)

The offer is back for 2006 and it's cheaper than last year...

http://www.aa.com/content/urls/elite...RL&title=elite
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's some discussion on this topic in this thread from a few days ago.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:43 am

deleted - tom911 beat me to it

Mike
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:22 am

Also available at http://www.aa.com/elite
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by vail
Also available at http://www.aa.com/elite
Isn't that the same link that the OP provided?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Payin for status ??

Well, if anyone sees it as a worthy thing to pay for a Status than it's a great offer. It could be an Alternative to run the Gold/Platinum challenge and combine this with a nice, short vacation instead of burning money in this way. Depends in which situation this fits.

:-:
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Well, if anyone sees it as a worthy thing to pay for a Status than it's a great offer. It could be an Alternative to run the Gold/Platinum challenge and combine this with a nice, short vacation instead of burning money in this way. Depends in which situation this fits.

:-:
This offer is only for those who will fail to requalify for either GLD or PLT, who didn't purchase that status last year. All current AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members are eligible to participate in this offer provided they have flown at least one elite qualifying segment during 2005. Members who participated in the 2005 offer are not eligible to extend their status through this offer for the 2006 membership year.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
You can't do a GLD/PLT challenge to retain your status, e.g. you can't do a GLD challenge if you're currently GLD or a PLT challenge if you're currently PLT. So you'd have to wait to drop down a level in March and then start your challenge.

If I were dropping from GLD to no status, I would seriously consider the buyback, because completing a challenge with no status is no fun. If I were dropping from PLT, it might be different, since AA's "soft landing" policy ensures I'll drop down no further than GLD.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Flyer23
You can't do a GLD/PLT challenge to retain your status, e.g. you can't do a GLD challenge if you're currently GLD or a PLT challenge if you're currently PLT. So you'd have to wait to drop down a level in March and then start your challenge.

If I were dropping from GLD to no status, I would seriously consider the buyback, because completing a challenge with no status is no fun. If I were dropping from PLT, it might be different, since AA's "soft landing" policy ensures I'll drop down no further than GLD.
OK, I'm sooo glad to be able to find this thread

I have been busy over at the MR board trying to see how I can get enough to requalify for the Platinum status for 2006.

Here is my situation:
1) I will either be 7030 miles or 2100 miles short of the 50000 EQM needed to requalify (it all depends on if the trip to the West Coast will materialize during the last week of December).
2) I am absolutely buying my status back with the $499.
3) I am also plotting a strategy to get ythe missing 7030 EQM by doing a mileage run.

However, I am VERY interested in understanding how I can do a challenge when my Platinum status expires in March 2006, and I will be a Gold.

Could someone explain the "soft landing" as well as what sort of challenges AA might be offering me to regain my Platinum status.

I would be grateful for all of your input.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy
However, I am VERY interested in understanding how I can do a challenge when my Platinum status expires in March 2006, and I will be a Gold.

Could someone explain the "soft landing" as well as what sort of challenges AA might be offering me to regain my Platinum status.

I would be grateful for all of your input.
If you buy back your status, a challenge will be unnecessary. However, if you choose to go with the *soft-landing* method, you will drop to GLD on Mar 1. At that time, you will be allowed to sign up for the PLT challenge and you will regain your status as soon as you fly 10K q-points.

The soft landing is the term used for AA's unwritten policy to drop elite pax by only one level the year after they fail to requalify. EXP to PLT to GLD to AAdvantage.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I'm very confused.

If you are:

plotting a strategy to get ythe missing 7030 EQM by doing a mileage run
then you don't need to:

absolutely [buy] my status back with the $499.
or the other way around.

In either case you would be PLT through February 2007, so you wouldn't need to:

do a challenge when my Platinum status expires in March 2006, and I will be a Gold.
For information on the challenges, read the sticky at the top of the page.

A "soft landing" is where you only drop by one level a year, regardless of flight activity.

Last edited by vasantn; Dec 18, 2005 at 2:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
If you buy back your status, a challenge will be unnecessary. However, if you choose to go with the *soft-landing* method, you will drop to GLD on Mar 1. At that time, you will be allowed to sign up for the PLT challenge and you will regain your status as soon as you fly 10K q-points.

The soft landing is the term used for AA's unwritten policy to drop elite pax by only one level the year after they fail to requalify. EXP to PLT to GLD to AAdvantage.
Thank you for your quick reply. I am inquiring because I do NOT want to buy my status back - I will only do so as a LAST RESORT.

So, I am interested in the Platinum challenge from Gold. If I understand you correctly, once I drop to Gold on or about 3/1/2006, I will need to only fly 10000 EQM to regain my Platinum status? Is that it?

Do I need to register for the PLT challene with anyone at AA or AAdvantage?

As a PLT demoted to Gold, am I eligible for this challenge?

I got a lot of trips coming up in Jan and Feb 2006 - would those EQM count toward the PLT challenge, or the 10K EQM must start once I got demoted to Gold?

Thanks again.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm very confused.
For information on the challenges, readthe sticky at the top of the page.
I do not see any sticky - you mean the top of the AAdvantage page?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342145
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:34 pm

So, I am interested in the Platinum challenge from Gold. If I understand you correctly, once I drop to Gold on or about 3/1/2006, I will need to only fly 10000 EQM to regain my Platinum status? Is that it?
It is the EQP (elite qualifying points) that count toward the challenge, not the EQM (elite qualifying miles).

Do I need to register for the PLT challene with anyone at AA or AAdvantage?
Yes, you need to call customer service. I am not sure, but I believe you have to wait until Mar 1 to call to sign up. (I know you cannot begin the challenge until then, it is the call time I am unclear about.)

As a PLT demoted to Gold, am I eligible for this challenge?
That is my understanding from what others have posted in this forum. I do not personally know anyone who has done this.

I got a lot of trips coming up in Jan and Feb 2006 - would those EQM count toward the PLT challenge, or the 10K EQM must start once I got demoted to Gold?
Those trips will count for requalifying if you intend to qualify with 50K EQM or EQP or 60 segments from Jan 1 - Dec 31.

Those trips will not count toward a PLT challenge because you cannot challenge to maintain status. You must first drop to GLD on Mar 1. Then sign up for the PLT challenge. Challenges may begin on the 1st or 16th of any month.

Good luck with this. I recommend you read the sticky at the top of the forum. It is incredibly long but by the time you finish you will have most of your questions answered. (And you will see that many of your questions have been answered previously.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.