Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2003 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
2003 AAdvantage status year repurchase/buyback (consolidated)

www.aa.com/elite

AAdvantage Special Offer

A Special Offer for Select AAdvantage PlatinumŽ and AAdvantage GoldŽ members

AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold status offers frequent travelers benefits that can make all the difference when flying. To help make sure our most loyal elite status members don't miss out on another year of special benefits, American Airlines has introduced a special opportunity for those who do not re-qualify for 2003:

Enjoy another full year of elite status benefits, without meeting the usual mileage, point or segment requirements. Renew your AAdvantage Gold membership with a one-time fee of $395 or renew your AAdvantage Platinum membership for a one-time fee of $595 and extend your status through February 29, 2004.

With this special offer you'll continue to receive the many benefits you've come to enjoy as an American Airlines AAdvantage frequent traveler.

Upgrades, bonus miles, priority check-in and pre-boarding are just the beginning. In 2003, AAdvantage Platinum members and AAdvantage Gold members who fly on a full-fare economy class ticket will receive complimentary upgrades.

To extend your status online through February 29, 2004, and obtain full offer details (including an informative question-and-answer help section), visit aaelite.points.com.

AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold members have until March 31, 2003, to participate in this special offer - so don't miss out! To check your current elite qualifying progress, go to AA.com, select "AAdvantage" and click "View my miles".

We hope you'll consider joining us for another year of elite AAdvantage membership. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard American Airlines!

------------------
-Bob Mc
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's a real ham-handed way to go about generating revenue, but I guess if anyone is ready to buy instead of doing the mileage runs.....

Glad that EXP isn't on the list
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Top Tier:
www.aa.com/elite

AAdvantage Special Offer

</font>
Yowza! Decisions, decisions.

birdstrike
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:30 pm
LLZ

They're pulling a CO.....I'm not happy about this....OTOH I made EXP this year so why should I care? Anyone want to give me something to worry about?

[This message has been edited by LLZ (edited 12-01-2002).]
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:33 pm
Suspended

I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it devalues what it takes to earn elite status. If you can buy it, then why bother earning it? OTOH, I'm not busting my butt at the end of the year to do meaningless MRs. However, if you could buy Exec Plat, then I'd be upset.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It should be noted that

1) You can't buy the extension unless you qualified at least once.

2) You can't buy an extension to a higher tier.

So the target market isn't as big as you might think. What I'm afraid is that AA may decide to discontinue its previous policy of dropping its elite members 1 grade at a time. The rationale would be

"If you wanted to retain some elite status, pay the fee. We're no longer going to give you a grace period of a year or 2 (for EXP&gt;PLT&gt;GLD) to requalify."
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DisgruntledGoat:
I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it devalues what it takes to earn elite status. If you can buy it, then why bother earning it? OTOH, I'm not busting my butt at the end of the year to do meaningless MRs. However, if you could buy Exec Plat, then I'd be upset. </font>
I am principally concerned about how this affects my chance for upgrades when flying for leisure. Having Plats and Golds on business absorbing space I once had a chance for as an EXP if on leisure travel would be a concern of sorts. I don't think the full fare coach to business upgrade that EXPs get (and now all elites get) applies internationally anyway, so this should not be an issue for me, by and large. If we go down status to base immediately, then this may be an issue and I will have to pursue closing my lifetime Gold to lifetime Platinum status faster. Any insight?

Lifetime gold and platinum have a dollar value now, based on projected life expectancy. As a lifetime gold at 28 with $395 per year, applicable for 50 years, and discounted using an interest rate of 8%, what is the NPV of lifetime gold and lifetime platinum, ceteris paribus? [Rhetorical question.]

$595 seems quite high a price to pay to renew Plat status for a year unless you are assured that a lot of travel is pending in the future year.

[This message has been edited by GUWonder (edited 12-01-2002).]
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:45 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
I am principally concerned about how this affects my chance for upgrades when flying for leisure. Having Plats and Golds on business absorbing space I once had a chance for as an EXP on leisure travel would be a concern of sorts. I don't think the full fare coach to business upgrade that EXPs get (and now all elites get) applies internationally anyway, so this should not be an issue for me, by and large. Any insight?</font>
As I understand it, even a full-fare gold or plat will not trump an exp on a less than Y/B....the 100 hour window still wins.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
As I understand it, even a full-fare gold or plat will not trump an exp on a less than Y/B....the 100 hour window still wins.</font>
Good to know. I hope it continues to pan out that way.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:00 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
Good to know. I hope it continues to pan out that way.</font>
According to aa.com that's exactly how it works. Same window for each tier, except the upgrade is now complimentary if the gold/plat is flying on a Y/B fare. The window, again, remains the same. EXP will still get it on the 100 hr as it should be!
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
It seems to me that this new "opportunity" (if it becomes permanent) will make sense only if AA discontinues the challenges.

Wait! Let me explain!

As Plato90s notes, you have to earn your GLD or PLT status at least once in order to be able to pay to extend your status. So, if you wish to take aadvantage of this opportunity, I think it's only fair that you should have to have earned your status initially (or at least the preceeding year) "the real way," via points, miles, or segments, NOT via challenge. Just think--you can fly a couple of international RTs to satisfy the PLT challenge, and then pay $595/year for the rest of your life to remain PLT (until some day you get 2MM), without EVER having to fly 50k miles/points or 60 segs per year EVER.
That doesn't seem fair to me or to any loyal AAdvantage member who does not pay for status but actually flies those miles, points, or segments per year--paying AA a lot more than $595/year in doing so!

What do you all think?

[edited to add a bit]

[This message has been edited by ESpen36 (edited 12-01-2002).]
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Did anyone else read this as a "renew just once until we make up our minds for next year to continue this program?"
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:14 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ESpen36:
It seems to me that this new "opportunity" (if it becomes permanent) will make sense only if AA discontinues the challenges.

Wait! Let me explain!

As Plato90s notes, you have to earn your GLD or PLT status at least once in order to be able to pay to extend your status. So, if you wish to take aadvantage of this opportunity, I think it's only fair that you should have to have earned your status initially (or at least the preceeding year) "the real way," via points, miles, or segments, NOT via challenge. Just think--you can fly a couple of international RTs to satisfy the PLT challenge, and then pay $595/year for the rest of your life to remain PLT (until some day you get 2MM), without EVER having to fly 50k miles/points or 60 segs per year EVER.
That doesn't seem fair to me or to any loyal AAdvantage member who does not pay for status but actually flies those miles, points, or segments per year.

What do you all think?
</font>
My a** agrees with you.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA/EXP/LT PLAT
I went to the site to check it out. You need a username and password to access it. What gives?
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:21 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by huuuuuman:
I went to the site to check it out. You need a username and password to access it. What gives?</font>
I got that too. However, I don't have a login because I've never bought miles from points.com before...

Anyone got a login to test out and report back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.