Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA DFW-MCI in First Class: No Catering

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by Microwave
The OP was on a beverage service flight, and it seems he/she got actually more than just beverage service. I'm not sure how this is declining to provide something that was sold?
Not sure how it was advertised. I didn't book it. I've personally been told here in this forum that a flight I said I was on (with flight number) didn't exist because it was later removed from the schedule. And this by FT "regulars." Told I was a liar by "experts" that didn't know how to use basic FF tools. Naturally I proved them wrong with screen shots but I don't remember any of them doing a mea culpa once proven wrong.

So I tend to default to what the OP describes. Regardless, I've had many similar experiences as I have related in the previous post. That's a fact jack.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I find it a bit hard to believe, LTRS, that a flight leaving at 5:30pm does not have any meal service in F, especially one that is 4+ hours. It MUST have been a miscater or a mistake of some sort. All 4+ flights get dinner, it's systemwide. Something isn't making sense, or is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I find it a bit hard to believe, LTRS, that a flight leaving at 5:30pm does not have any meal service in F, especially one that is 4+ hours. It MUST have been a miscater or a mistake of some sort. All 4+ flights get dinner, it's systemwide. Something isn't making sense, or is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Yeah, I found it hard to believe too, especially after I double checked at the AC. And I expected the FA to find it hard to believe too. But instead he acted like me, my flying companion, and 1 or 2 other Pax that asked were rude to even ask. It's not his job, how the heck should HE know?

Definitely presented as "not his problem".
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Let's all stay on topic here. This thread will not devolve into "bash the airline", "bash the employees", "bash other FTers", or any other bashing.

~Moderator
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
As an AA EXP based in MCI, I am a regular on the MCI-DFW-MCI corridor, usually in F. I will say that I cannot think of a single time that I did not get at least a snack, as in the packet of peanuts and pretzels that OP mentioned. In that case, it does sound like a mistake that it was not "served". Perhaps OP was flying during a time of the day that I am not used to? But in my experience, I always end up with that tiny bag of mediocrity, to which I always wish the old mix would magically show back up.

BUT, I am aware that it's a drink-only service, and that is all I expect. They don't really hide that. And I have had a couple glasses of whisky between DFW and MCI after a long meeting or trip
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: Various
The answer is:

Yes there is catering, otherwise you wouldn't have had drinks and snack mix.

This flight has a block time of 1 hr 35 mins, which means it's coded as "R" or Refreshments. Regardless of what time of day (even at 12 noon) you will get the same catering= Liq/Bev + Gourmet Snack Mix. Well, one minor correction, if your flight takes off between 4:00 am and 9:00 am, the snack mix is switched for a Biscoff Cookie and Champagne/Sparkling wine is offered in addition to other liquor. The magic number is 2 hrs or more in block time, and catering will be enhanced from 4:00am until 8:00pm with a meal or substantial snack.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Robt760
The answer is:

Yes there is catering, otherwise you wouldn't have had drinks and snack mix.

This flight has a block time of 1 hr 35 mins, which means it's coded as "R" or Refreshments. Regardless of what time of day (even at 12 noon) you will get the same catering= Liq/Bev + Gourmet Snack Mix. Well, one minor correction, if your flight takes off between 4:00 am and 9:00 am, the snack mix is switched for a Biscoff Cookie and Champagne/Sparkling wine is offered in addition to other liquor. The magic number is 2 hrs or more in block time, and catering will be enhanced from 4:00am until 8:00pm with a meal or substantial snack.
Exactly, this has been the policy for years. Grab a sandwich to go along with your high calorie, uber high sodium snack mix and be happy you are not squashed into seat 32B.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by DFWFlyer12
I'm trying to figure out if AA is even worth the hassle. I signed up for their FF program and booked a first-class r/t fare from DFW to MCI (for a wedding) this past weekend. Knowing full well that AA's MD-80's or "super" 80's aren't exactly new, I felt that the price was fair. Having experienced first-class on UA (whom I usually fly with) and DL, I figured that AA would be similar. How wrong I was.

Besides a few drinks of your choice and priority boarding (and a comfy-ish seat), I figured there would be some snacks. At least. On the flight to MCI, we were given a tiny bag of mixed dry snacks (pretzels, nuts, etc - not trail mix) and on the return flight, nothing. I asked the FA if there were any snacks and she replied with an apologetic no, but then asked me, "are there supposed to be some?"

I sent an email to AA and they gave me a form response of how there's not supposed to be snacks and the one time it happened was erroneous. So much for customer service. I guess my first impression of AA is mixed.

Has anyone else had similar, unimpressive experiences? DL at least has/had a basket of fruits, candy, etc. And I was told that AA used to even serve meals on this very same route (perhaps a few years ago).
This is a scheduled 1h 35m flight which means perhaps 1h10m in the air. This is free cocktail and a bag of pretzels for F. You will spend more time in the waiting area and any restaurant at DFW will have food that is better than anything AA would provide.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
I fly DFW to ATL weekly. The flight is 1:45 in flying time. I have received snack (wraps/chicken salads) or dinner on all flights depending on the time of day. I am in F heading to DFW as I write this. The FA just finished clearing all the trays from F pax. From wheels up to now it has been 1:30. I can see why it can't be done on shorter flights.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Maui Time
I fly DFW to ATL weekly. The flight is 1:45 in flying time. I have received snack (wraps/chicken salads) or dinner on all flights depending on the time of day. I am in F heading to DFW as I write this. The FA just finished clearing all the trays from F pax. From wheels up to now it has been 1:30. I can see why it can't be done on shorter flights.
Anything can be done. On 45min airtime SIN KUL, SQ and MH serve a meal service for J. On a 1 hr airtime LHR EDI, BA serves a full hot meal service to all pax.

It's just that AA doesn't feel the cost benefit would fall the right away. Aka, it's not worth it.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Maui Time
I've done ATL-DFW a few times and had the full dinner, which is nice. However, the scheduled block time for DFW-ATL seems to be 2:05-2:15, and ATL-DFW between 2:25 and 2:40. I have noticed that, on this route, the scheduled time is always quite a bit longer than the flight time (which is relatively quick, as you mention)...I assume because of the huge amount of traffic and time on the ground at both airports.

So, in both cases, it's scheduled at over 2 hours, resulting in the meal.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:13 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by DWFI
It's just that AA doesn't feel the cost benefit would fall the right away. Aka, it's not worth it.
Sad but true. Could hand out a (low carb) turkey and swiss cheese wrap just as fast as a back of pretzels.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DWFI
Anything can be done. On 45min airtime SIN KUL, SQ and MH serve a meal service for J. On a 1 hr airtime LHR EDI, BA serves a full hot meal service to all pax.
OZ serves this in business class on a 574 miles BRUVIE:

It consisted of a salmon starter, shepherd’s pie, hot bread roll, and tiramisu for dessert. The blogger reported it as being "truly one of the tastiest meals I’ve had in the sky". Source: http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...els-to-vienna/. The seat, however, was anything but.

Incidentally, on all airlines except in most U.S. ones flight attendants start working as soon as it's safe to do so, i.e. after having climbed for 4-5 minutes absent risk of turbulence. And they work the cabin all the way down to shortly before landing (again, when safe to do so). AFIK only U.S. FAs take a rest period of >45 minute on each flight. And in Europe they often have an extra person staffing business class, depending on how big it is.

Last edited by hillrider; Aug 30, 2013 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 30, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Have been flying MCI-DFW and DAL for many years. In the 70's when BN had the route and Texas International for a short time. They both served a meal. BN's economy meal was typically a basket containing a sandwich, potato salad, cookies and comp bottle of wine for adults and normal beverage service. They had a similar breakfast type basket also. Flew TX International a few times and they did the basket thing too. BN's F pax got a full meal on a tray and beverages on the trip. Memories.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I actually agree with the OP. I flew ORD-RDU (647 miles) in First earlier this summer and received...one Biscoff. I made a thread about it myself:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ck-basket.html

I don't think there's anything wrong with expecting something to snack on in F especially when every other airline provides more and those airlines include free upgrades to all elite levels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.