Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else stuck on AA170 [05/13/13] - wing struck pushback into catering truck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else stuck on AA170 [05/13/13] - wing struck pushback into catering truck

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecP

AA170 LAX-LAS

Looks like this could take a while...

Ground crew starting pushing us back, but the catering truck from 47B hadn't moved yet. Just barely clipped the wing. FAA and Airport police are en route. They won't let us taxi back to the gate before an inspection is performed.

http://i.imgur.com/PUEQGNR.jpg

Last edited by dstan; May 13, 2013 at 4:46 pm Reason: removed [IMG] tags for very large image - please resize
Old May 13, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If I were you I'd call to see if you can get protected on a later LAX-LAS flight as most likely your flight just got cancelled. Or perhaps wait until you are allowed to taxi back to the gate.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Time to gamble in Las Vegas...Hit big baby.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by wrp96
If I were you I'd call to see if you can get protected on a later LAX-LAS flight as most likely your flight just got cancelled. Or perhaps wait until you are allowed to taxi back to the gate.
If on a leisure trip, why not let the flight get cancelled, hope that the later flight are all sold out, and ask for compensation?
Old May 13, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the catering truck was parked (as the OP indicated), then the wing was not "clipped by catering truck," rather, an AA crew negligently pushed a plane into a parked catering truck, damaging the wing.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I'd say there's a wing-walker getting a lecture on paying attention! If the truck was not moving (as proven by the legs down) then the pilot gets the ticket.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'd say there's a wing-walker getting a lecture on paying attention!
just a lecture ? I'm guessing the wing walker is now seeking other employment.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by FWAAA
If the catering truck was parked (as the OP indicated), then the wing was not "clipped by catering truck," rather, an AA crew negligently pushed a plane into a parked catering truck, damaging the wing.
It was hard to tell. The truck was parked and the wing walker started to give the go ahead. All of a sudden he started throwing Xs into the air with his guide sticks. Originally I thought the plane drove into the truck, but the truck was a good few feet off the plane it was catering (further than the plank extends from the truck). It is possible the truck started backing up as the plane started pushback.

The walker immediately ran to the truck to yell something...tough to tell who was at fault.

Anyways, it was cancelled. They found a 767 and combined ours with the next flight, although many are rolled over to even later.

Would have taken compensation, but have a 4p meeting that I will be late for. Business, not pleasure.

Edit: I now see legs down in the picture. Truck must have been parked. Looks like the walker is in some serious trouble.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by burlax
If on a leisure trip, why not let the flight get cancelled, hope that the later flight are all sold out, and ask for compensation?
Some people on leisure trips want to get where they're going, which is why they booked the trip. We fly 100% for leisure, and we wouldn't take compensation (unless an exorbitant amount), just because it's leisure. I value my leisure time more than my work time.

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'd say there's a wing-walker getting a lecture on paying attention! If the truck was not moving (as proven by the legs down) then the pilot gets the ticket.
I may be wrong, but I don't think that pilots are responsible when the ground crew pushes their plane into another object. If the pilot were taxiing the plane forward, then perhaps the pilot would be facing a lecture.

Originally Posted by flying_q
Edit: I now see legs down in the picture. Truck must have been parked. Looks like the walker is in some serious trouble.
I wouldn't want to be the wing walker or the guy driving the tractor pushing your plane back. Looks like a failure to communicate adequately.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; Hilton-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Had similar situation, but catering truck driver's fault, back in November 2011 at DFW. The catering truck driver wedged his truck under the wing and got stuck under the wing. Of course last flight out to SA at almost 11pm, so had to deplane, wait for ground crew shift change and then moved to a new plane and over 2 hours later around 1am finally flew out of DFW. Wish I had been sitting where I could have taken a pic and if only a bar would have been open in the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.