Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: My opinion of the announced AA - US merger is:
This is the best of all possible worlds; great idea!
3.93%
This portends a stronger airline, with some changes for all
22.88%
I am neutral - pros and cons for all
23.72%
I think this is a somewhat bad idea with some real challenges
26.94%
I am completely opposed to this merger; terrible idea!
22.53%
Voters: 839. You may not vote on this poll

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by morrisunc
?????? Parker has always been upfront and admitted they have to pay lower rates because phx isn't lax, Phl isn't ewr and Clt isn't Atlanta. He is open with employees and investors about that.
Except for it's nonsense. Take a look at the earnings statements for the First 6 months of 2013. Yield between AA and US is very close...now someone is going to argue (maybe correctly) that the yield and PRASM numbers in the quarterly earnings statements are not stage-length adjusted...but I don't think that would make a much different picture.

Dougie is just saying this so that he doesn't have to pay more which makes him the darling of Wall Street...
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spin88
If you read this thread it posts to a lot of legal analysis, the view of actual lawyers (rather than "analysts" or airline pilots) is that there is nearly zero chance this merger is approved. Parkers own statements killed the deal. You can believe the tooth fairy is real, that is about as likely to be true as parker getting his shot at running AA.

This is interesting as this is Jeff's current strategy at UA, and that has not worked out very well... UA's current horrible results (and AA and DL's better results) vindicate AAs focus on improving/maintaining the passengers experience for elite fliers.

I don't profess to understand the "pilot" shortage. I do know that there are about as many RJ pilots in the US at this point as mainline pilots. I do know that nearly every single RJ pilot wants a slot with a major airline. The experience/age of pilots may fall, but there will be pilots for the major airlines. The only question I have is who will fly the RJs, and will pilot shortages be helped by airlines (like DL) upgaging their RJs and having fewer of them.

Since you are an AA pilot, perhaps you can help out the community by explaining (or linking to some analysis) on how these factors will play out.

Parker has been able to make US profitable because with two flighting pilots unions he has the lowest pilot and employee pay of the majors. The US pilot pay was 13 to 35% lower than AA pay under the BKR contract. . http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ml/#more-11561

Do you really not know this? There is a huge amount of financial analysis which is readily available which points to the US's lower labor costs as the only reason its profitable. Here is a good example: http://beta.fool.com/adamathm/2013/0...-they-s/22495/ A quote from this article (which is indisputable correct):

"In spite of the apparently strong earnings results, US Airways is not a stock that I am interested in owning. The company faces a very unstable situation because it has a heavily unionized workforce that is significantly underpaid relative to the competition. US Airways has benefited from its labor group's militancy, because they have been unable to agree upon and ratify new labor contracts for many years. While workers at competitors like Delta (NYSE: DAL), United (NYSE: UAL), and even bankrupt AMR (OTC: AAMRQ.PK) have gotten big raises, US Airways employees are working under bankruptcy-era contracts."

This is the guy you want to control your future?????

Its hard to discuss things with someone who obviously is entirely unaware of what Parker has done with LCC, and how LCC was "profitable."

Actually DOJ is resource constrained. The "hope" of AA/USs lawyers was to blitz the DOJ with a quick trial and overwhelm them. Judge Kollar's appointment basically ends that strategy.
Based on what? What YOU think? I think you're dead wrong.

Kollar's pick makes it even more likely that this trial will come and end quickly. We'll know before thanksgiving. There is no way in hell she's going to delay it till march.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
?????? Parker has always been upfront and admitted they have to pay lower rates because phx isn't lax, Phl isn't ewr and Clt isn't Atlanta. He is open with employees and investors about that.
I am confused by the ?????? I was responding to a pilot who says he wants Parker as a CEO for his company as Parker has done great in making LCC profitable. I was simply pointing out that LCC is ONLY profitable as it has substantially lower wage rates, in large part as the West/East pilots are at war with each other, so LCC has never had to face raising their wages. Parker/LCC has only succeeded as the pilots fighting has kept their pay low...

I am not sure about being open with investors/employees is all about.

To circle back though, the main reason why DOJ has chosen to move to block this merger is that with an inferior network, LCC has competed by offering cheaper connection prices when the other airlines (DL, UA, AA) had lockstep pricing. LCC was offering these prices as they had to to fill the plane, given their weak network. LCC taking over AA would eliminate the "ugly girl" and push up prices, which is why the merger will never be approved.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:06 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Kootur
Ben Baldanza is good at what he does.

He turned a bankrupt airline with 10 old md-80s and quadrupled it to the airline in the us with highest profit margins.
Could not care less. If AA were "Baldanzaized", it would be Chapter 7, not Chapter 11, and not profitable. Different culture, different market.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:08 pm

Kollar's pick makes it even more likely that this trial will come and end quickly. We'll know before thanksgiving. There is no way in hell she's going to delay it till march.
Wolves howl at the moon, it does not make the moon go away...

I would bet you a bottle of wine of choice there is no trial before thanksgiving, but there is no way you would ever pay off.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:38 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
[/

It's not the affair. It's that it was with an intern. I treat my interns like I would want my children to be treated. That's how a CEO is expected to treat INTERNS. There is a HUGE difference between an affair with a woman, employee, and intern. The two latter are far worse And reasons for being terminated.

Laura Bush killing someone in an accident is worse than a CEO having an affair with an intern? Accident vs premeditated perversion against someone your entrusted to protect? Gross.
I'd rather be the victim of "premeditated perversion" [not that I agree with that characterization] than dead.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:40 pm

?????? Phl isn't ewr
As a Philly native, I say thank goodness for that!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
The UCC which is 30% airline unions want parker in and horton out.
That means that 70% of the UCC is held by non-union people organizations. 70% is more than 30%. The non-union members of the UCC probably care more about getting their $$ than they do about who's running the airline.

<moderator deleted response to now-deleted post>

Originally Posted by spin88
If you read this thread it posts to a lot of legal analysis, the view of actual lawyers (rather than "analysts" or airline pilots) is that there is nearly zero chance this merger is approved.
I am absolutely amazed that people (both in the FF world and in the media) don't get this.

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 27, 2013 at 3:08 am Reason: moderator deleted response to now-deleted post
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
<moderator deleted response to now-deleted post>

It appears the judge who will hear the case has a full docket, thus the DOJ may have to defend its position on AA/US timetable. The DOJ trying to push the trial beyond the merger out date speaks for what it is on their part. Power politics.

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 27, 2013 at 3:09 am Reason: moderator deleted response to now-deleted post
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I am absolutely amazed that people (both in the FF world and in the media) don't get this.
We get that many people PREDICT there will not be a merger. I continue to hold out hope that the PREDICTIONS are wrong. But let's face it, none of us KNOW.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

Personally I do not see how one plans on getting this trial done before her Jan trial.

But if by chance I am wrong, will not they have to go to trial with the proposal as presently planned? Not dropping any DC gates or routes were they would get to 100%? Seams like that would be an easy win for DoJ if so.

And if they wish to submit some proposals to fix these glaring issues, this will have to go through DoJ for review. No way that gets done by Jan.

The early trial request is a Hail Marry pass to the court of public opinion. But D. Parker already screwed up the war on that front.

[Is that a mixed metaphor when used in 2 separate sentences?]
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
The UCC which is 30% airline unions want parker in and horton out. Like I said even if the merger is blocked and amr goes stand alone horton is gone and I'm betting parker will jump at the opportunity.
Horton might be out, but even if he is it's unlikely that Parker will be in. Even if the UCC wanted him, I think his own company would have to waive their rights in order for him to leave and go to AA. If he really is the gem that you think, why would they release him to go work for a major competitor?

Personally, I don't see why they'd push Horton out. He's barely had a chance and yet has worked wonders. I suspect a lot of the creditors would be interested to see what he can do given the job permanently.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
What are you talking about?? The AT&T of 20 0r 30 years ago is certainly not the same!
Indeed; it's entrenched its near-monopoly.

The industry has, and continues, to evolve each year with new entrants providing new services.
For the major-ticket items -- and voice phone service is no longer one of those -- the choices in any given area are usually one of 4-5 companies, who have not changed since the last round of mergers. Now, they're not the same 4 for wireless (AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile, Sprint) as for wire-line broadband (AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time-Warner.) TV is slightly better, assuming you are living someplace which can get a satellite signal.

In other words, AT&T is NOT a monopoly.
Not literally a monopoly, any more than going down to 4 major airlines would be, but a limited competitive landscape nationally compared to before the big mergers years ago -- without the benefit of the regulation that used to exist in the voice phone market.

There are choices for consumers beyond AT&T -- how about the cable providers like Time Warner, Comcast, etc. for phone/internet service?
Usually a choice of only two in any given area, as the cable providers almost never overlap, and AT&T/Verizon only rarely so.

How about internet telephony and providers like Vonage?
VoIP providers are very competitive, but voice is no longer the main use for a wire coming into your house and any VoIP provider is at the mercy of having a reliable internet connection.

Wireless, the same holds true
Then why'd they block the T-mobile buyout? 4 majors (one of them sufficiently weak that it required a $3bn payout when the merger failed, and two of them foreign-owned) and a handful of regional players? Hardly robust competition, as rising prices and poorer service offerings show.

If I was a satellite or cable tv customer, how about going to AT&T or Verizon for my multichannel programming service via Uverse or FIOS?
You've had two choices for broadband in most areas since broadband came in -- one from the cable company (now pretty much down to two nationwide providers) and one from the former-RBOC (now pretty much down to two nationwide providers.)

Prices are up, and most of the customer-unfriendly moves have stuck (although a few haven't, more under the threat of net-neutrality regulations than under market competition.)

The fact that the RBOCs now offer TV has not been enough competition to keep prices from rising or for there to be any other changes in the consumer's favor, absent regulation. That's especially true given that virtually all the promotions available require bundling of services ("triple play" packages, etc.)

Oh, I did not even discuss new giants such as Google.
Alive in one metro-area (fiber in KC) and test deployment in ONE suburb in the Bay Area? (wifi in Mountain View) ... and you call that competition? *ROFLOL*

[quioAT&T one of the last players standing, that is just comical -- and not true![/QUOTE]

You call the present situation robust competition? This is exactly the opposite of what deregulation "promised."
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by AAClubGeek
Horton...barely had a chance and yet has worked wonders.
What wonders did I miss???
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Today's news is that DOJ is bringing in a heavyweight as the anti-trust litigation head (and the guy who will try this baby, if it makes it that long ). He did not join DOJ for a weak case, or a quick fold... he expects to win.

http://about.bloomberglaw.com/legal-...siness-of-law/

Originally Posted by george 3

It appears the judge who will hear the case has a full docket, thus the DOJ may have to defend its position on AA/US timetable. The DOJ trying to push the trial beyond the merger out date speaks for what it is on their part. Power politics.
I respectfully suggest you have no idea what you are talking about, and doubtlessly have never been through the metal detector at a Federal Court House (or had to give up your phone. ). A judge with a full calendar does not have a two week hole just sitting there for Douggy, nor is Judge Kollar in a case with informal discovery concluded in May, in a major complex case filed in August, going to set a November trial date...

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Personally I do not see how one plans on getting this trial done before her Jan trial.

But if by chance I am wrong, will not they have to go to trial with the proposal as presently planned? Not dropping any DC gates or routes were they would get to 100%? Seams like that would be an easy win for DoJ if so.

And if they wish to submit some proposals to fix these glaring issues, this will have to go through DoJ for review. No way that gets done by Jan.

The early trial request is a Hail Marry pass to the court of public opinion. But D. Parker already screwed up the war on that front.
The last two sentences are reality...

Pilots who were counting on a quick cash out, investors who were counting on higher stock values, and Jeff Smisik who was counting on consolidation leading to less competition and higher prices, are SOL...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.