Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd coincidence at ORD and AA's mx issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Fair enough. Would have guessed if any would the UK might be it, but not going to make any assumptions.
Ah, right - yes, in that respect you're right, the UK does (as do a good part of the EU countries), but it can be done very late in the flight. Not sure about the UK requirement, but Japan, for example, doesn't require it until 30 minutes before landing, and even then I'm pretty sure they don't have real time matching set up yet.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sts603
International standbys include (1) non-revs (not sure if these are posted on the board though),
non-revs do indeed show on the board - in fact the vast majority that you'll typically see on the standby list are non-revs.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by AAClubGeek
non-revs do indeed show on the board - in fact the vast majority that you'll typically see on the standby list are non-revs.
That had been my hunch when I saw the list for Paris. I think that flight had quite a number of non-revs on it; I know for a fact that the folks across the aisle from us were the wife of one of the pilots and the husband of one of the FAs and I saw quite a few more guys in dress pants boarding a Sunday night redeye overseas than I typically would.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
To add to the anecdotal evidence from which I initially started the thread...I decided that with the ~36 hour delay that the flight cancellation caused me, it wasn't worth taking the trip since nearly half of the trip would have been spent flying (due to a cancellation of the return leg as well adding on a 5 hour layover in London). The rep in the Admirals Club was lovely enough to send me home, back to SLC, and said AAdvantage would surely refund the miles.

This was at around 2:30pm and as luck would have it, there was a non-stop from Chicago to SLC scheduled for around 12:30pm that had been delayed due to mechanical issues. They had switched aircraft to a brand new CRJ by the time I boarded and we waited another hour and a half for it to get catered and for take-off clearence. Finally at 5pm Central, we were in the air and scheduled to arrive in SLC at around 7pm. Low and behold, just as we descend into SLC, they close the airport due to fog and we are diverted to Grand Junction, Colorado. At this point, the crew times out and we are forced to deplane and spend the night at the local La Quinta...being shuttled there by the 2 cabs in the town and coordinated by the single AA employee in the GJT airport. The crew are the first ones in taxis to the hotels. SLC airport opens an hour later, but because of the crew timing out, we leave at 7am tomorrow morning.

So this is the 2nd night in 2 days that I'm spending the night in a hotel due to an AA delay at least partially caused by mechanical problems. Also, I think I may be cursed...
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Condolences, OP. Hope you get some sleep.

And by the way, there are three cabs in Grand Junction.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
And by the way, there are three cabs in Grand Junction.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mylifenomadic
we leave at 7am tomorrow morning.
It's now 3:30pm and I just now got home. The SLC airport was still suffering from fog problems this morning, yet the flights from Grand Junction and Denver to SLC on Delta and United (also CRJs) were able to depart and land on time. The crew indicated that their aircraft was not equipped to land in the fog in SLC. At 10:30am, they decided to fly the plane to LAX and figure it out from there. Many pax were renting cars and driving to SLC (4.5 hours) so I hitched a ride with a group of them and arrived in SLC at around 2:30pm. I'm assuming the pax diverted to GJT and then LAX will be on the American Eagle flight to SLC arriving at 4:00pm.

What a mess! Why would AA not just charter a coach and transport the pax by road to SLC when it was clear that it would be faster? I understand the aircraft would need to be relocated anyway, but there are flights from GJT to DFW that they could have repurposed them for.

Incidentally, AA was able to deliver my bag to SLC airport yesterday, but couldn't manage to deliver me!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
During the period when pilots were finding "obscure" mech. issues, I think aa was being liberal in giving vouchers instead of miles (I know I got one when I reported such an incident.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.