American Eagle Pilot suspected of alcohol use detained at MSP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
American Eagle Pilot suspected of alcohol use detained at MSP

Hi All,

I heard the news by this morning. He was arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol. He should not drinking the alcohol anymore. He failed the tested. He was taken to local hospital.

http://www.startribune.com/local/185653732.html

I think they will replace a new pilot later in the morning.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
... he has yet to receive any specific measurement for the pilot's level of intoxication. For pilots, the legal limit is 0.04 percent, half of what it is for motorists...
.04 ? How about 0.00 ?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
.04 ? How about 0.00 ?
Agreed.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
... he has yet to receive any specific measurement for the pilot's level of intoxication. For pilots, the legal limit is 0.04 percent, half of what it is for motorists...
.04 ? How about 0.00 ?
The media got it wrong (Gee, there's a shock). The legal limit set by the FAA is 0.019. The legal limmit for commercial vehicle operators is 0.04, which is probably where that figure comes from in the article (the media probably just looked up "commercial operator" and didn't bother to check whether that was a ground vehicle or an airplane). I believe the reason there is a limit of 0.02 is because things like mouthwash with alcohol can show up, or anything else that may cause a slight reading during a BAC test, even though judgement is not impaired. Pilots have (or at least are supposed) to abide by the 8 hour "bottle to throttle" rule when it comes to drinking. Some airlines have an even more strict policy of 12 hours (not sure about AA).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
I believe the reason there is a limit of 0.02 is because things like mouthwash with alcohol can show up, or anything else that may cause a slight reading during a BAC test, even though judgement is not impaired.
Bingo! Also things like those aerosol breath fresheners, and non drowsy cough medicines will cause a slight reaction on these tests. Considering failing one of this can ruin your career, it's a pretty fair limit.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Some perfectly allowable medications also have ethyl alcohol, though such medications can also cause reduced reaction times and the like. This is one of the reasons why states have legal limits above 0 for drivers under 21.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
yep.. have spent one too many sober nights with my brother-in-law who flies AE because of the bottle to throttle rule..

The media got it wrong (Gee, there's a shock). The legal limit set by the FAA is 0.019. The legal limmit for commercial vehicle operators is 0.04, which is probably where that figure comes from in the article (the media probably just looked up "commercial operator" and didn't bother to check whether that was a ground vehicle or an airplane). I believe the reason there is a limit of 0.02 is because things like mouthwash with alcohol can show up, or anything else that may cause a slight reading during a BAC test, even though judgement is not impaired. Pilots have (or at least are supposed) to abide by the 8 hour "bottle to throttle" rule when it comes to drinking. Some airlines have an even more strict policy of 12 hours (not sure about AA).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: Various
Point of clarification:

It was an American Eagle pilot who was removed and arrested.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, it could be pretty bad to drive or fly after taking certain cold medicines that would show up on a breathalyzer. For example, I would not drive after taking NyQuil. On the occasions once or twice a year when I take it, I feel rather woozy afterward. Granted, I do not drink alcohol, so I'm sure I have an extremely low tolerance. But still, I don't like the feeling of not having full control of my faculties.

If the investigation concludes that the pilot in question did violate FAA regulations and airline policies relating to alcohol use by flight crews, I hope he faces fines and disciplinary action.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I didn't know AA flew MSP-LGA
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I didn't know AA flew MSP-LGA
AA doesn't. MQ does.

Actually, looking at the schedule, I noticed that MSP-LGA is all Eagle, while MSP-DFW and MSP-ORD, both considerably shorter routes, have mainline service. In fact, MSP-DFW is 100% mainline though it is 200 miles shorter than MSP-LGA. But I guess you can't compare markets that way....after all, AUS-DFW is mainline as well--who can figure that one out?!

Last edited by ESpen36; Jan 4, 2013 at 11:52 am
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
The legal limit set by the FAA is 0.019.
Cite?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
For example, I would not drive after taking NyQuil. On the occasions once or twice a year when I take it, I feel rather woozy afterward.
I'm not sure you're feeling woozy because of the alcohol in Nyquil. Nyquil has active ingredients that make you drowsy so you can sleep better. I wouldn't drive after taking Nyquil either.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:37 pm

FAA Alcohol brochure

According to this brochure, FAR 91.17 says the limit is 0.04.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
FAA Alcohol brochure

According to this brochure, FAR 91.17 says the limit is 0.04.
I think part 91 is private pilots, not applicable here. Someone will correct me soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.