Wiki Posts
Search

Required Segments on AA [for status retention / gaining]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Required Segments on AA [for status retention / gaining]

I was just double checking my EQMs and EQPs for my remaining travel this year to requalify for AAdvantage status and think that I might not have done any paid ticket travel on AA yet this year. Instead, I have shifted to mostly TATL, and I have generally flown BA instead. Since the summaries only go back to May, I can't see if I did fly on AA earlier this year. I just don't recall.

I have a trip planned that will give me the four required flights, but I wonder if anyone here has ever been disqualified for not having them. Is there any leeway?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by handspring088
I was just double checking my EQMs and EQPs for my remaining travel this year to requalify for AAdvantage status and think that I might not have done any paid ticket travel on AA yet this year. Instead, I have shifted to mostly TATL, and I have generally flown BA instead. Since the summaries only go back to May, I can't see if I did fly on AA earlier this year. I just don't recall.

I have a trip planned that will give me the four required flights, but I wonder if anyone here has ever been disqualified for not having them. Is there any leeway?
I can't answer your question, but I would think that the AAdvantage desk could check your travel records for January--April and tell you if you took any paid AA flights during that period.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

I'm sure that they could check, but, as I said, I know that I will do the stated four segments. I am more curious as to whether anyone has been denied status because of not doing the four.

And..... before the inevitable comment comes, I do understand the reasoning that if you want status you should fly AA. It's been unusually international this year for me. With OneWorld carriers, though, the benefits of lounge access internationally and of redemption are much more valuable to me through AA. I could qualify for BA Gold, but think that AAdvantage offers better returns.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AFAIK, I can't recall anyone denied AA status because they did not accomplish four segments on AA. But the policy has read that way for some time, and in a year of many changes I'd not volunteer to be the guinea pig to see if they begin to apply the policy strictly this year or not.

I'd have to ask anyone attempting retaining or gaining status with no AA segments this year "Well, do you feel lucky? Well do ya...?"
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Huh, not being aware of how this works ... sometimes when searching for routes in the Southeast US, aa.com shows me JetBlue flights.

If I booked a JetBlue flight via AA.com, how does that impact AA status/miles?

I just assumed aa.com was acting like an independent travel website in these cases, and I'd get miles on JetBlue, and pay AA a modest booking fee.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:40 am

If your B6 flight books as an AA codeshare, it is as if you were flying AA - Base and EQ miles, EQ points, segment credit, etc.

If you are flying as B6, it might earn AAdvantage miles if it meets the specifications listed in this aa.com page, but would not count, AFAIK, as an AA segment per se (no Base, EQ miles or EQ points).

Originally Posted by 4aks
Huh, not being aware of how this works ... sometimes when searching for routes in the Southeast US, aa.com shows me JetBlue flights.

If I booked a JetBlue flight via AA.com, how does that impact AA status/miles?

I just assumed aa.com was acting like an independent travel website in these cases, and I'd get miles on JetBlue, and pay AA a modest booking fee.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I'd have to ask anyone attempting retaining or gaining status with no AA segments this year "Well, do you feel lucky? Well do ya...?"
Well.... I don't usually feel lucky. I prefer to make an educated choice based upon experience and reason- hence why I would be interested if anyone was ever denied.

I barely recalled the rule, but when I looked to check EQPs for some economy fares, I saw it and had a momentary panic until I thought of my upcoming flights.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Thanks for the info - I'll think of the JetBlue routes when I need to go to Boston

Originally Posted by JDiver
If your B6 flight books as an AA codeshare, it is as if you were flying AA - Base and EQ miles, EQ points, segment credit, etc.

If you are flying as B6, it might earn AAdvantage miles if it meets the specifications listed in this aa.com page, but would not count, AFAIK, as an AA segment per se (no Base, EQ miles or EQ points).
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:24 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
two years ago, I flew 145K EQP's exclusively on BA metal when based out of LHR.. returned to US on 12/29 that year on AA metal using connecting flights.. so had 2 AA segments..
called aa desk to see if I would not get EXP for not completing 4 required segments.. EXP agent answered - that is correct sir.. if you dont fly another two AA segments before end of the year, status wont count and I will be kicked back to PLT..

so did an early morning STL-ORD-STL RT to get my EXP

funny thing - I passed 100,000 eqp in OCT and they DID give me the new 8 eVIP's at that moment itself along with an email "congrats for re-qualify" blah blah.. but yea - didnt want to take a chance so did the quick turn-around flight to ORD
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:35 am

I'm not a betting guy either - that's why I said I have never heard of anyone being denied because they did not fly 4 AA segments in one year. But change is in the air, and I'd hate to wake up close to 31 Dec, be over 100k EQM / EQP and have them tell me "no way, José" and have the choice of purchasing expensive, near-walk-up fares to requalify. (Personally, I'm not worried, as I requalified with both EQP and EQM some time ago.)

Originally Posted by handspring088
Well.... I don't usually feel lucky. I prefer to make an educated choice based upon experience and reason- hence why I would be interested if anyone was ever denied.

I barely recalled the rule, but when I looked to check EQPs for some economy fares, I saw it and had a momentary panic until I thought of my upcoming flights.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by galaticos
two years ago, I flew 145K EQP's exclusively on BA metal when based out of LHR.. returned to US on 12/29 that year on AA metal using connecting flights.. so had 2 AA segments..
called aa desk to see if I would not get EXP for not completing 4 required segments.. EXP agent answered - that is correct sir.. if you dont fly another two AA segments before end of the year, status wont count and I will be kicked back to PLT..

so did an early morning STL-ORD-STL RT to get my EXP

funny thing - I passed 100,000 eqp in OCT and they DID give me the new 8 eVIP's at that moment itself along with an email "congrats for re-qualify" blah blah.. but yea - didnt want to take a chance so did the quick turn-around flight to ORD
Thanks for the info. That sounds close enough for me. Same situation- will qualify for EXP, and I will get in the four flights. I would expect that if I asked, I would have heard the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.