Wiki Posts
Search

[Tropical Storm] Isaac - nonrefundable ticket and related

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

[Tropical Storm] Isaac - nonrefundable ticket and related

All,

My family was due to visit me at XNA this weekend from FLL, but due to TS Isaac and its probability of hitting South Florida dead on, they have decided to cancel. They were to travel up on Thursday, arriving back on Monday (the day Isaac is due to hit). Is there any way to get a refund or get the change fee eliminated as it is very likely they would have been stuck in XNA and are canceling for their safety (so they can shutter and prepare the house for a storm), rather than "just because". FWIW They are going to change the dates. If the fee is non-waivable, can they get it waived should the original flight get canceled.

I don't see how AA (or any other reasonable company) could or should profit on someone choosing to stay safe rather than risk being stuck with an unprotected house.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As TS Isaac approaches, AA will post its storm policy; that would be the time to act, IMO. This will be posted on the aa.com Travel Alerts / Travel Notices page here at some point.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
If AA initiates some sort of alert or action, they will be able to get the refund. Barring that, deciding that they don't want to fly won't cut it.

Same as every other time this question has been asked for some tropical storm event.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
If AA initiates some sort of alert or action, they will be able to get the refund. Barring that, deciding that they don't want to fly won't cut it.

Same as every other time this question has been asked for some tropical storm event.

Cheers.
Yes, but seeing as they would leave on Thursday (likely before any action would be released) would they be able to get the money back retroactively. I feel it would be fair to do that. FWIW I cannot remember the computer models agreeing this much. Safety is paramount and as I said, it would be wrong of AA to capitalize on someone choosing safety of their person and property.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Probability" is not the same as "certainty" - AA will update their policy as the storm approaches (or not) and its behavior. When we select our price we select how much flexibility we want - tropical storms in the Caribbean/Gulf are not unlikely at this time of year. We can purchase a more flexible fare, purchase trip cancellation insurance when we buy and we can "self-insure" for the amount AA will retain for a cancellation.

As much as I sympathize, it's pretty much how it works with any airline. Until there is a policy issued by AA, we can hope for "mercy" from an AAgent, but I'd not count on it. If the airline cancels the flight or there is a significant schedule change, or they publish a policy that states they will allow flexibility or cancellation including fee waivers, passengers with nonrefundable tickets will be able to cancel with no fee.

Originally Posted by jco613
Yes, but seeing as they would leave on Thursday (likely before any action would be released) would they be able to get the money back retroactively. I feel it would be fair to do that. FWIW I cannot remember the computer models agreeing this much. Safety is paramount and as I said, it would be wrong of AA to capitalize on someone choosing safety of their person and property.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
"Probability" is not the same as "certainty" - AA will update their policy as the storm approaches (or not) and its behavior. When we select our price we select how much flexibility we want - tropical storms in the Caribbean/Gulf are not unlikely at this time of year. We can purchase a more flexible fare, purchase trip cancellation insurance when we buy and we can "self-insure" for the amount AA will retain for a cancellation.

As much as I sympathize, it's pretty much how it works with any airline. Until there is a policy issued by AA, we can hope for "mercy" from an AAgent, but I'd not count on it. If the airline cancels the flight or there is a significant schedule change, or they publish a policy that states they will allow flexibility or cancellation including fee waivers, passengers with nonrefundable tickets will be able to cancel with no fee.
So pretty much American and other airlines are encouraging passengers to travel and risk getting stuck in a city where they may not be able to stay and would spend countless dollars on a hotel for an indefinite amount of time and may come home to a house that is potentially destroyed. Good job, airlines. I know you're in chapter 11 but is $175/person really worth it to you when someone could possibly lose everything?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'm lost here by the safety concerns. Your family is in South Florida. The storm is likely to hit South Florida. You feel they would be safer in South Florida than in Northwest Arkansas? And you think because they want to stay safe in the eye of the storm, AA should refund their money?

I suspect that they want to stay home because they are concerned about potential looting if there is severe storm damage. I have seen hurricane damage from Katrina in New Orleans, and tornado damage in Joplin. I am a big believer in getting out of the way of major weather events. I would suggest that the safest thing your family could do would be to get on that plane for XNA. If the storm hits Monday, AA will not fly them into the teeth of a hurricane - they will arrange for them to fly later.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
I'm lost here by the safety concerns. Your family is in South Florida. The storm is likely to hit South Florida. You feel they would be safer in South Florida than in Northwest Arkansas? And you think because they want to stay safe in the eye of the storm, AA should refund their money?

I suspect that they want to stay home because they are concerned about potential looting if there is severe storm damage. I have seen hurricane damage from Katrina in New Orleans, and tornado damage in Joplin. I am a big believer in getting out of the way of major weather events. I would suggest that the safest thing your family could do would be to get on that plane for XNA. If the storm hits Monday, AA will not fly them into the teeth of a hurricane - they will arrange for them to fly later.
They are concerned because the community they live in does not allow hurricane shutters unless there is a watch/warning. The hurricane insurance most likely would not kick in if the shutters are not up. Plus the family cat is boarded in a non-hurricane safe building and would have to be moved four hours north for safety. Plus my family's car would not be in a safe place and the risk is them not being able to make it back in safely at a reasonable time and date. Personally, I agree and would do what I could to flee the storm, but it is impossible with the variables at stake.

Side note, it's ironic we're talking about this 20 years to the day almost after Andrew. I was 5 years old but remember it vividly. Let's just say I'm happy to be living out of hurricane alley now!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

... is $175/person really worth it to you when someone could possibly lose everything?
OP indicates his family doesn't want to risk being stuck with an unprotected house during a potential tropical storm.

They are in FLL during hurricane season (and the traditional height of the season at that). Then he questions the airline's logic of having non-refundable fares. Why didn't the OP and family purchase either flexible fares and or travel insurance?

If the family can't secure their home before they leave, and would rather stay in South Florida during the storm, then is $175/person worth it to you?

Sounds cheaper than your fear of extended hotel costs in NW Arkansas.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
[Tropical Storm] Isaac - nonrefundable ticket

OP should incur the $175/person as it appears this would make the family happy
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any way to get a refund or get the change fee eliminated as it is very likely they would have been stuck in XNA and are canceling for their safety (so they can shutter and prepare the house for a storm), rather than "just because".
No. People have a tendency to fib so airlines had to tighten the rules down down. Eons ago airlines would allow to get out of fees/nonrefundability with a medical certificate, and guess what--they had to eliminate that provision due to people's sudden "illnesses". If they allowed anyone with a "safety" story to get out of fees, well, there would be plenty of stories. Hence the institution of specific rules for weather-related leniency. And AA has some of the most friendly change rules of all airlines.
If the fee is non-waivable, can they get it waived should the original flight get canceled.
Yes, absolutely. In that case you can request a full refund (not just a waiver of the change fee).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are concerned because the community they live in does not allow hurricane shutters unless there is a watch/warning.
Why can't they get a waiver from the community for this rule? They can demonstrate (via the tickets) that they're not going to be there to put the shutters up!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Segments
Why didn't the OP and family purchase either flexible fares
?I presume because they were 5-7 times as much as the fares available.
Originally Posted by Segments
and or travel insurance
Because travel insurance wouldn't cover this (or most) instance -- read the schedule of benefits. TravelGuard, for example, would only cover
(b) Inclement Weather causing delay or cancellation of travel;
Fear of not being able to put shutters up is not covered.

Travel insurance is so expensive anyways vs. what is covered that, other than for medevac insurance or packaged tours, one is always best skipping it especially when paying with a credit card that already offers lost baggage benefits (most do).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
No. People have a tendency to fib so airlines had to tighten the rules down down. Eons ago airlines would allow to get out of fees/nonrefundability with a medical certificate, and guess what--they had to eliminate that provision due to people's sudden "illnesses". If they allowed anyone with a "safety" story to get out of fees, well, there would be plenty of stories. Hence the institution of specific rules for weather-related leniency. And AA has some of the most friendly change rules of all airlines.
Yes, absolutely. In that case you can request a full refund (not just a waiver of the change fee).
I meant in the future. If they cancel now and the flight gets canceled, can the change fee be reimbursed? (kind of like an "I told you so" clause)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
Travel insurance is so expensive anyways vs. what is covered that, other than for medevac insurance or packaged tours, one is always best skipping it especially when paying with a credit card that already offers lost baggage benefits (most do).
No worries, since AA is willing to sell "cancel for any reason whatsoever" travel insurance for the price of the change fee.

The OP sounds unhappy about the price of that coverage, but arguing about it here won't cause AA to reduce its price. I remember when change fees were a small fraction of what they are today. Can't blame AA (and most other airlines) for increasing those fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.