Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check bag all the way through with overnight layover?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Check bag all the way through with overnight layover?

Flying from PDX to DWF to MIA (14 hr layover so got motel) to UVF St. Lucia, in few days. Is it possible to check my heavy suitcase all the way through with the layover and me leaving the airport in Miami? All American Airlines. All booked at same time there just were no more direct flights.

I'm an infrequent traveler so finding the motel shuttle with my carryon and backpack will be a lot easier than if I also have to haul my 50 lb checked in suitcase.

The person I called at Airlines said have to claim the large suitcase and then re-check it. But they shuttled me to lots of different people so I'm hoping the info I got was incorrect? I searched the forum and seems some airlines have a 12 hr rule but others 24 hr rule? Advice please?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:00 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since you'll be governed by AA's baggage policy, we'll shift this over to the AAdvantage forum for further discussion. /JY1024, TravelBuzz and AA co-moderator
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I've got a similar issue on an upcoming trip. PHL-SJU-GND with a 23 hour layover in SJU
It would be wonderful to check luggage straight thru rather than hauling to a hotel and having to re-check in the next day.

Any concerns about leaving checked luggage overnight at SJU if all on AA? I'd been advised not to leave checked luggage for extended period at other islands.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have often flown LGA-MIA-SCL, and intentionally purchased a ticket with a 12hr layover. All the MIA-SCL flights are overnight, so I fly early AM out of LGA to spend the day at the beach on my way down.

The ticket is always purchased as one PNR, and every time I have checked my bag all the way through to SCL with no difficulties.

Now remember: this is a 12 hour layover but it occurs during the day. I'd love to hear about people who've had evening layovers.

-Ayton
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:05 pm
In memoriam

If your ticket has all of the flights on one record, and your luggage is tagged all the way to St. Lucia, the bags will not be available for pickup in MIA.

In March 2010 we flew RDU-MIA-Virgin Gorda, overnighting in MIA. The agent at RDU said the bags would be checked through; my wife said she wanted the bags in MIA; we didn't pay much attention, assuming we could claim the bags in MIA (thought the agent ticketed the bags just to MIA). When we arrived in MIA it became clear the bags were not accessible, as they were checked all the way through. Not a pleasant experience as friends were meeting us at MIA (10:00 P.M.), and I spent an hour at baggage claim trying to sort things out.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
I've never been allowed to check baggage all the way through with such a long layover over night, always the same story about not having anywhere to put the bags when the flight is on a different calender day or something like that. There is a hotel at SJU though to make life easier for you Segments.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Should work fine. This is what I did (FCO-LHR-BOS) with luggage checked thru to BOS and an overnight in London:

BA flight FCO-LHR 18:45-20:25
Left airport for overnight,

Next Day: AA 109 LHR-BOS 12:25-15:10

The luggage tag had both the flight numbers and the DATES of the flights.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Never a problem for me even in MIA. Did a TUL->DFW->MIA -> BGI trip a few years back and checked all the way thru with an overnight layover in MIA
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
My understanding is there is a "Same Day" rule and a 12 Hour" rule.

If you connection is same day of outbound flite then they will check straight through.

If your connection is next day, then layover must be less than 12 hours for them to check straight through.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by alhcfp

If you connection is same day of outbound flite then they will check straight through.

If your connection is next day, then layover must be less than 12 hours for them to check straight through.
Bummer... it is one PNR, but difficult routing as AA has only once daily flight to GND. From PHL there is only one flight that even permits a non-overnight routing, and it was sold out. Perhaps they will still check it all the way thru since the layover is not really my choice but due to limited flight schedule.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so very much for all the advice and stories. The flight leaves Oregon Tue AM, Tue night in Miami, and then Wed AM leave Miami for St. Lucia. So, I think at PDX we will ask that it be checked all the way through, and depending on what they say go from there? I usually pack lighter, but am staying for a summer job so need several different types of clothing. And, if I have to wrestle the heavy suitcase to the motel at least I know it isn't sitting unattended somewhere. Thanks again.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by sholmes149
Should work fine. This is what I did (FCO-LHR-BOS) with luggage checked thru to BOS and an overnight in London:

BA flight FCO-LHR 18:45-20:25
Left airport for overnight,

Next Day: AA 109 LHR-BOS 12:25-15:10

The luggage tag had both the flight numbers and the DATES of the flights.

Similar Experience.

Just last week, my mother flew IB3577 VIE-MAD, arrival at 3:30PM, and then AA95 MAD-JFK, next day at 10:25AM.
This was a ~19 hours layover.
She checked her bags in VIE all the way through to JFK. No need to pick up in MAD. Bags arrived safely at JFK.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Done this at LHR with BA/AA, BMI/VS and LH/UA (once or twice even when flights were not on the same PNR), never any issues with it, but I do believe it depends on whether the airport has secure holding facilities.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by alhcfp

This has been my experience also. Lots of times struggling with multiple bags at ORD or DFW for the overnight layover to an international destination. Glad the red eye from SEA is back and it avoids both the hotel and bag issue.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 1:59 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
The other week flying on tuesday LAX-JFK arriving at midnight then the following evening at 7pm flying JFK-MAD, even though I called the EXP desk to see if I could check my luggage through and they said yes, at LAX they told me it couldn't be done with such a long stopover. But as they say YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.