Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you prefer to be addressed by cabin crew members?
I prefer to be addressed by title (Mr., Ms., etc.) and last name / surname
44.48%
I prefer to be addressed by my first / given name
14.36%
I don't have any preference for how I am addressed
41.16%
Voters: 362. You may not vote on this poll

FA calling me by first name

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, US
FA calling me by first name

fa in first class addresses me by first name. is this appropriate? i am younger than the average first class passenger, but i feel like they maybe might've disrespected me

================MODERATOR NOTE=============
As the Alaskan fishermen say, we have added a poll for the halibut.

Poll open for sixty days as of 20 June 2012, only one vote and one option per member allowed

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2012 at 8:33 am Reason: add mod note for poll
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I had a FA once who memorized the first name of every F passenger in her first pass through the cabin, then used them throughout the flight. I thought it was great. If you were the only passenger addressed by first name, that could be an indication of disrespect (particularly if you're younger and/or female, as has been reported in the past). But if you were bothered by it, why didn't you ask the FA to address you as Mr(s). jys55?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Disrespected"? I think not, merely casualness and faux friendliness. It's a common US (and Australian) cultural trait to address people with what some might consider undue intimacy, by their first name. And call it stereotypical, but I don't hear many young people address elders, etc. with their titles either. And, the darn pea someone left under my seat pad bothered me the entire flight...
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Not wanting to quash any well intended move toward superior customer service, yet attempting to use a customer's 1st name, uninvited, may not be welcomed, and perhaps culturally inappropriate. My 1st name is an old family name and whenever a telemarketer reaches me using it, it is a sure sign of someone who absolutely does not know me, yet attempts to sound as though s/he does.

Mr or Ms is a much safer address in serving any customer above the age of 12.....
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It happens occasionally. There are more important things in life to worry about.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: QFF
I hate it when I get addressed by [legal] name. Why do some FA's insist on it?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jys55
fa in first class addresses me by first name. is this appropriate? i am younger than the average first class passenger, but i feel like they maybe might've disrespected me
Horrific.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:14 am

Programs: AA LT Gold

It is possible. I was not there so I could not tell.
Was that the only thing she did you considered disrespectful?

My guess is that it was actually the opposite and she was trying to be friendly and wanted to provide you with great service.

If the FA was being disrespectful, I think you would not have doubts about it. She would have done (or NOT done) many things that would have upset you much more than using your first name. A few FAs can be really nasty.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
That is intolerable! I think you should send in a certified letter, return receipt requested. Demand a complete refund for your ticket.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I am annoyed when they don't prefix it with "Lord" John
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Enterprise Gold
Not sure if this will change anything but you might want to check your AA account to see if you have selected "Yes" in the "Greet me by my first name" option.
The option for "Remember Me" is located in the "My Account" section in the "Personal Information and Password" tab.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:54 am

Hey, do you guys up front know how entertaining you are from behind? Complaining about waking you up for food on a 9 hour flight, same meal you had earlier in the week, FA did not honor proper meal selection by seat, no drink handed to you as you sit down, etc etc? And now, you are dissed that an FA called you by name but without proper respect.
I sit in the back and am always called "sir" by the way, at least to my face. Later I may be referred to as "the jerk in 25A"---I have no idea.
Stop whining up front. You could have knees in your back like the rest of us behind you.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I always thought that people that were offended because they were not addressed with the right title (Dr., Professor, Sir, etc.) had either very low self esteem or a false sense of 'superiority'.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
I usually give them my first name after they call me Mr. LastName and I insist they use my first name. I like my first name and I'm quite comfortable with it. I suppose us younger people tend to be less formal.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: AA Plt 2MM
I hate to be a drag and not play along with most of the rest, but here's a serious answer to your question:

1. As JDiver said, I don't think it was your age. Many FAs on US airlines seem to use this mode of interaction. They treat old and young alike.

2. I actually find the first name thing a little creepy myself, but it's not for the reason that most are surmising here. Whether a FA or some other business relationship, nine times out of ten when someone says, "Good morning Mr. <lastname>; my name is John", I will reply with "Oh, please call me <firstname>." But when someone starts out by saying, "Hello <firstname>", I always feel like they're trying to set up a "we're just buddies who call eachother by our first names" kind of relationship, and so (to be hyperbolic) after I serve you your dinner, in return maybe you could serve me a drink. It's just weird. In other business relationships, even if I am officially in a more senior position, I'll always start off with, "You must be Ms. Jones; I'm <firstname> <lastname>", and depending on the circumstances adding, "Feel free to call me <firstname>." That way, whatever their culture, whatever their comfort level, they get to choose.

(I've encountered one FA who likes saying, "I'm <firstname>. What may I call you?" Ick. I can't possibly say, "Mr. <lastname>"; I'm just being a jerk if I do that. It's a passive-aggressive way of just using <firstname>.)

Originally Posted by vasantn
It happens occasionally. There are more important things in life to worry about.
Yeah, all these social norms are so much nonsense. FAs should simply start with, "Nice to meet you, pain-in-the-.... How may I help you?" Skips all that formality nonsense.

No, it's not the most important thing in the world. But the whole idea of politeness is to make the other person feel comfortable and make for a nicer interpersonal relationship. Starting a little more formal and letting the other person make the choice usually works out best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.