Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid Upgrade - do I get class bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Paid Upgrade - do I get class bonus?

I was originally booked in "M" class for travel on a BA flight from LHR to BLR . While at Heathrow, I purchased an upgrade to "W" class. I have received credit for this flight o based on travel in "M" class. I am now requesting credit for a "W" class ticket, which I understand includes a 10% class of service bonus as well as 1.50 Elite Qualifying Miles

Am I correct in doing this?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by flying chef
I was originally booked in "M" class for travel on a BA flight from LHR to BLR . While at Heathrow, I purchased an upgrade to "W" class. I have received credit for this flight o based on travel in "M" class. I am now requesting credit for a "W" class ticket, which I understand includes a 10% class of service bonus as well as 1.50 Elite Qualifying Miles

No, not entirely There are no fares that earn bonus elite qualifying miles (EQMs) on AAdvantage. Paid World Traveller Plus on this route should earn one EQM per mile flown, and 1.5 elite qualifying point (EQP) per EQM awarded. You would also earn a 10% bonus on redeemable miles, which doesn't factor in to elite qualifying at all.

Assuming you paid the fare difference, I'd call AAdvantage Customer Service and ask that they correct your earning. Having documentation (a receipt and a boarding pass, for example) would probably help a lot.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by Microwave
No, not entirely There are no fares that earn bonus elite qualifying miles (EQMs) on AAdvantage. Paid World Traveller Plus on this route should earn one EQM per mile flown, and 1.5 elite qualifying point (EQP) per EQM awarded. You would also earn a 10% bonus on redeemable miles, which doesn't factor in to elite qualifying at all.

Assuming you paid the fare difference, I'd call AAdvantage Customer Service and ask that they correct your earning. Having documentation (a receipt and a boarding pass, for example) would probably help a lot.
My bad..I meant EQP, not EQM. I did call AA, but I will have to mail them all the info. and see what they can do.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 4:04 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Microwave
If it's really the fare difference, then yes. If it's just a purchased upgrade, then no. Sounds more like the latter.

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flying chef

You are incorrect. The ticketed journey was in M class; you purchased an upgrade to world traveller plus at the airport; this is not the same as rebooking and ticketing into world traveller plus and no ticket re-issuing will have been performed

With the upgrade it is quite correct that you received miles and points as per the purchased fare
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you were offered and purchased a counter upgrade, you get a nicer seat and the same miles / points as you purchased originally.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are incorrect. The ticketed journey was in M class; you purchased an upgrade to world traveller plus at the airport; this is not the same as rebooking and ticketing into world traveller plus and no ticket re-issuing will have been performed

With the upgrade it is quite correct that you received miles and points as per the purchased fare
I'm not so sure about that for BA cash upgrades. Earlier in the year I purchased a cash upgrade from J to F (not reticketed, just a $325 upgrade) on BA and received the 50% class of service bonus, and as well the line on my AAdvantage statement listed F, not J. The purchased fare was in I.

Another thread on the topic (albeit specific to BAEC)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by andreirublev
I'm not so sure about that for BA cash upgrades. Earlier in the year I purchased a cash upgrade from J to F (not reticketed, just a $325 upgrade) on BA and received the 50% class of service bonus, and as well the line on my AAdvantage statement listed F, not J. The purchased fare was in I.

I had an analogous experience. I did a miles and points upgrade on AA and then was rebooked on BA (the AA flight was delayed and I would have missed a connection). I received RDM and EQP from BA consistent with the purchase of a J ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors
Originally Posted by andreirublev

That's been my experience as well (although it's been awhile, and not as recently as what you report). I even went back through statements and checked when I saw others here reporting the OP was NOT entitled to the additional bonus, because what they are reporting does not match my memory of my experience doing the same. I can confirm I have received it in the same situation.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ckendall
I had an analogous experience. I did a miles and points upgrade on AA and then was rebooked on BA (the AA flight was delayed and I would have missed a connection). I received RDM and EQP from BA consistent with the purchase of a J ticket.
This is completely unrelated. Due to the delay, you were rebooked on a differnt carrier and, as often happens, they put you in the most expedient class, and you got extra miles. This is different from the standard situation with a purchased upgrade.

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you received it automatically for an upgrade purchased at the airport, then I would look at that as "airline error in your favour, collect bonus miles". As far as requesting mileage credit in retrospect, the passenger has a M class booking and received M class miles; no reason to expect to get higher cabin miles on an unticketed upgrade any more than would expect it with an involuntary or mileage upgrade
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you received it automatically for an upgrade purchased at the airport, then I would look at that as "airline error in your favour, collect bonus miles". As far as requesting mileage credit in retrospect, the passenger has a M class booking and received M class miles; no reason to expect to get higher cabin miles on an unticketed upgrade any more than would expect it with an involuntary or mileage upgrade
I agree with this and also with JDiver based on my own experiences with BA. On one situation I talked and talked with AA trying to get the class of service bonus and finally realized that I would have been better off (for several reasons) using my BA account, but still would not have earned the miles and tier points of a higher class of service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.