Wiki Posts
Search

AA to launch Valencia, Venezuela (VLN)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
AA to launch Valencia, Venezuela (VLN)

American Airlines launch service to Valencia, Venezuela on 17 November 2011. American applied for this route in 2006. It took five years for the Venezuelan government to approve it.

AA 1957 MIA 1645-2020 VLN 738 Daily
AA 1956 VLN 0835-1130 MIA 738 Daily
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:18 pm

Congratulations on finally getting approval, no doubt the route will be successful... But is AA aware that there are cities in the U.S. that are larger and wealthier than Valencia that still are not connected to MIA?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Södermalm
Congratulations on finally getting approval, no doubt the route will be successful... But is AA aware that there are cities in the U.S. that are larger and wealthier than Valencia that still are not connected to MIA?
International routes are profitable. Even on a price per mile basis, cheap Y fares are more expensive than domestic flying. Prices are cheaper because there is less competition, especially to Venezuela. And there are barriers to entry because Venezuela has strict rules for adding routes, so not every carrier can enter the market.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Network expansion is good, and Venezuela does have unique government considerations... but I would be much happier with a flight to Ciudad Guayana or Ciudad Bolivar.

Valencia is at most 150 miles from Caracas and not exactly a major tourist destination. While the cities on the Orinoco are currently much more remote, a more interesting destination and the gateway to Angel falls.

It's understandable that the Venezuelan government is more interested in helping their citizens travel rather than foreign tourists, but I hope AA is pushing for an Orinoco route.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Great news.

Like where? I think AA is missing opportunities in AUS, MCI, SAN, SEA, and SLC for example. MIA is pretty well covered by AA and many cities have ample service on other carriers to FLL.

AUS has been announced but never actually operated; MCI is a possibility; SEA may also work. DL may well come in and do SLC at the rate things are going now.

I could see AA co-existing with AS on the route by doing the following with a 738:

AA XXXX MIA 1900-2225 SEA
AA XXXX SEA 0700-1515 MIA

Internationally I'd really like to see BAQ, NRT, and TLV.

Last edited by AAerSTL; Aug 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm
Old Aug 28, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I was hoping this was Valencia, Spain.

Anyways, both cities are kind of random.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I was hoping this was Valencia, Spain.

Or Valencia, California.

Wait! We don't have an airport here, yet! There is an airport in Agua Dulce (L70), near Valencia, though.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
AA Could really expand its MCI operation to MIA and LAX. I think a CRJ from LAX and (perhaps a CRJ?) from MIA would be great. Probably could increase the FF base there and AC members--the station is very lucky to have an AC.

As for VLN-what do you propose took Chavez and company so long to say yes to this one? You'd think they'd want tourism there..
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks for the news, MAH4546.

Valencia is Venezuela's third largest city (2.1 million people) and one of its fastest growing (if not the fastest). One of Chavez's goals has been to decentralize the country's industry and Valencia has become the prime beneficiary of that plan. I'm sure service is being established with business concerns in mind rather than tourism.

But I too would love to see AA service to the Orinoco region.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Network expansion is good, and Venezuela does have unique government considerations... but I would be much happier with a flight to Ciudad Guayana or Ciudad Bolivar.

Valencia is at most 150 miles from Caracas and not exactly a major tourist destination. While the cities on the Orinoco are currently much more remote, a more interesting destination and the gateway to Angel falls.

It's understandable that the Venezuelan government is more interested in helping their citizens travel rather than foreign tourists, but I hope AA is pushing for an Orinoco route.
As SJOGuy said, VLN is the 3rd largest city, but it actually is the industrial capital of Venezuela. Tons of factories, manufacturing, etc. It is also worth adding that Venezuela just build a new car assembly plant (for a Chinese brand) with capacity of up to 18K assembled cars per year...and it is located in Maracay...which is very close to VLN.

People that want to go to the Angel Falls, Orinoco River/Gran Sabana, etc. will do so regardless of having to go thru VLN or CCS. Now, the day that they actually start producing and exporting light crude oil from the Orinoco Belt (sand basin), then I can see it happenning.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jlp187
People that want to go to the Angel Falls, Orinoco River/Gran Sabana, etc. will do so regardless of having to go thru VLN or CCS.
Some people will, but I believe there are a lot of marginal travelers who would either go or go back if it became more convenient. It's pretty ridiculous that it's more expensive and takes longer to get from BOS to Angel falls, than to most second tier cities in India or Siberia.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Internationally I'd really like to see BAQ, NRT, and TLV.
AA has already tried BAQ and evidently it wasn't profitable.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
AA has already tried BAQ and evidently it wasn't profitable.
I flew with AA to BAQ...
oh wait... that was on an award...
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:09 pm

MIA is an international hub, which means that there is no need to connect it to large number of places domestically, especially cities where International demand is low. They can easily be routed through DFW or ORD instead.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
MIA is an international hub, which means that there is no need to connect it to large number of places domestically, especially cities where International demand is low. They can easily be routed through DFW or ORD instead.
You're right about that. Most flights to JFK and MIA seem to be timed for international connections, with exception to transcons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.