Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo AAWND - 20K Bonus Miles for Transatlantic Full Y or Bus/First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO

I just came across this promotion...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/wanderlu...tle=wanderlust

Looks like you get 20k bonus miles for any transatlantic round trip booked in full y or business/first. Also, you get entered into a contest to win 1 million AA miles. Enjoy!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus, OnePass
Don't know about the mileage bonus, but the Million Miles contest applies only to tickets purchased on/after April 6. Those with existing reservations from before April 6 are not eligible for the contest.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by PassatDoc
Don't know about the mileage bonus, but the Million Miles contest applies only to tickets purchased on/after April 6. Those with existing reservations from before April 6 are not eligible for the contest.
Just saw that. I leave fri, but never buy full fare, so usually dont apply to me.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Among other things, the FT Credo says "Sign up for it even if you think it won't apply to your trip or the dates for purchase are incorrect."

Some of the IT, er, "imperfections" for these promos can work to your AAdvantage - it's certainly happened to me over the years (e.g. I know of FTers who have signed up for "full fare" or J/F" promos who got double or triple promo miles credited to highly discounted fares with an upgrade).
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Among other things, the FT Credo says "Sign up for it even if you think it won't apply to your trip or the dates for purchase are incorrect."

Some of the IT, er, "imperfections" for these promos can work to your AAdvantage - it's certainly happened to me over the years (e.g. I know of FTers who have signed up for "full fare" or J/F" promos who got double or triple promo miles credited to highly discounted fares with an upgrade).
Agree. I am flying SNA-ORD-HEL-KBP(on AA-AY)//KBP-LHR(on BA)//LHR-DFW-SNA(on AA) in early May. AA is offering a 5K-10K-15K round trip bonus on the ORD-HEL route for Discount Economy/Y/C-J travel on the route.

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

I registered for the bonus, being fully aware that I don't qualify as stated in the rules, because I am not flying ORD-HEL-ORD round trip with to my open jaw itinerary. Perhaps their computer will recognize the return travel and credit me with either 5K or 2.5K for flying the ORD-HEL route in one direction on an open jaw return ticket. I purchased discount Economy and upgraded to J on the eastbound leg. Likewise, I registered for the Million Miles contest even though I purchased in January.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA 1MM
Wasn't entirely clear to me, did travel have to be booked after April 6th, or commence after April 6th? Curious if my trip in May, booked in March, will get me the bonus.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
All passengers who register for the 1 Million miles will and fly a transatlantic roundtrip between now and June 30th on American Airlines, British Airways, or Iberia will receive 20,000 AAdvantage bonus miles. htp://dealswelike.com/2011/04/06/american-airlines-1-million-advantage-miles-contest/

Additionally American has many bonus promotions for their enhanced US to Europe direct flights: http://dealswelike.com/2011/04/06/ne...-us-to-europe/

Los Angeles — Madrid (operated by Iberia). Earn double AAdvantage miles between March 28th and May 31st. (EXTENDED through June 30th)

Miami — Barcelona (operated by Iberia). Earn double AAdvantage miles between March 29t and May 31st. (EXTENDED through June 30th)

New York JFK — Budapest (operated by American). Earn up to 15,000 AAdvantage bonus miles between April 5th and June 30th
  • Business Class – 15,000 bonus points
  • Full-Fare Economy Class (fares booked in Y or B) – 10,000 bonus miles
  • Discount Economy Class – 5,000 bonus miles
Chicago — Helsinki (operated by American), starting May 1, 2011. Earn up to 15,000 AAdvantage bonus miles between May 1st and July 31st
  • Business Class – 15,000 bonus point
  • Full-Fare Economy Class (fares booked in Y or B) – 10,000 bonus mile
  • Discount Economy Class – 5,000 bonus miles
San Diego — London Heathrow (operated by British Airways), starting June 1, 2011

Last edited by JDiver; May 24, 2011 at 8:15 am Reason: add offer extensions
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by dealswelike
Additionally American has many bonus promotions for their enhanced US to Europe direct flights: http://dealswelike.com/2011/04/06/ne...-us-to-europe/
Don't know how it will "really" work, but T&C of the 20k promo say:

Offer may not be combined with other AAdvantage bonus mile promotions.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:02 pm

Annoying that it's r/t travel only. What's wrong with folks who, for whatever reason, need to travel on more expensive one-way tickets?

Annoying also that all travel must originate in the US. When I do UK-US-UK round-trips, I pay at least as much. Why no bonus for me then?

I don't see how these rules advance AA's interests. And they certainly make the promo less rewarding to me.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by schriste
Don't know how it will "really" work, but T&C of the 20k promo say:

Offer may not be combined with other AAdvantage bonus mile promotions.
Ah, but what about the MIA(and other cities)-LHR targetted DEQM?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
Ah, but what about the MIA(and other cities)-LHR targetted DEQM?

Curious about this too, interested in Business Special fare to HEL/BUD from ORD and they have 15k bonus promo.

Would seal the deal if I can combine business class special + 20k bonus + 15k bonus
Old Apr 9, 2011, 3:25 pm

I am booked 4 May on AA130 ORD-HEL in C (upgraded with miles/cash) and the seat maps shows only four Biz seats selected, including my seats. I would guess that Biz sales have not been brisk. Economy seat map shows better sales.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I'm surprised this promotion hasn't gotten more attention. If you're Platinum or better, you basically earn at least 35,000 miles for every roundtrip to Europe, sometimes much more depending on the destination.

Question - would a BA flight via LHR count as a roundtrip if it departs from EWR and returns to JFK?
Old May 6, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by troyb
I'm surprised this promotion hasn't gotten more attention.
Probably because it requires a full Y fare or above, and relatively few people buy those. However it can be fairly attractive with the promotional I fares to HEL and BUD.

Curious about this too, interested in Business Special fare to HEL/BUD from ORD and they have 15k bonus promo.
Would seal the deal if I can combine business class special + 20k bonus + 15k bonus
I was on the fence about this so called the EXP desk who checked with AAdvantage and confirmed that you WILL earn both bonuses. So pulled the trigger on a JFK-BUD-JFK flight in June which I figure will earn me about 59,277 miles.

Happy Travels.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
I got this email:

CONGRATULATIONS, <deleted>,
Now that you've flown a qualifying transatlantic trip, you're eligible to enter The Miles Millionaire Contest. <Snip>
Keep flying and you can earn an additional 20,000 AAdvantageŽ bonus miles for every eligible trip. <Snip>

I in no way qualified for this promotion (discount economy trip upgraded only one way and originated outside the US). Just got the email and no miles have posted yet. Is this just an email they send to everyone that takes a TATL trip or could this be a computer error potentially in my favor? If anyone else got the email who didn't qualify, did miles actually post?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.