Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Exit row window shade policy/requirement?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
American Airlines Exit row window shade policy/requirement?

Unfortunately I've been flying AE for almost two years straight and live in the exit row window seat.

Last week, after all that time, the FA insisted that the window shade be open while sitting at the gate. If that's the rule/policy I have no problem with that, but in the past two years it's only been 'must be open during taxi/takeoff/landing.

The FA got very testy after I said that was different from the last two years and every other FA. After I complied she even when to the pilot to confirm and reported back to me which started to escalate a situation that was a non-issue at that point (i.e. if she wanted it down fine, so leave it alone).

The others that fly with me every week found the whole conversation/situation strange.

Anybody know the American Airlines rules or policies for the exit row window shades. A quick search did not appear to pull up an answer/discussion on this topic.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:45 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i have no idea, but! the few flights i've been on this summer, we've been asked to leave them down at the gate.....good luck...
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
I've been on several flights (usually during the summer months or in warmer climes) where the crew has requested that passengers put down the window shades at the gate to keep the plane cool. Were the other shades closed?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by deac83
Unfortunately I've been flying AE for almost two years straight and live in the exit row window seat.

Last week, after all that time, the FA insisted that the window shade be open while sitting at the gate. If that's the rule/policy I have no problem with that, but in the past two years it's only been 'must be open during taxi/takeoff/landing.

The FA got very testy after I said that was different from the last two years and every other FA. After I complied she even when to the pilot to confirm and reported back to me which started to escalate a situation that was a non-issue at that point (i.e. if she wanted it down fine, so leave it alone).

The others that fly with me every week found the whole conversation/situation strange.

Anybody know the American Airlines rules or policies for the exit row window shades. A quick search did not appear to pull up an answer/discussion on this topic.
you mean she insisted that the shade be "closed"? down? or open? up?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
you mean she insisted that the shade be "closed"? down? or open? up?
To further confuse the issue, on some AE flights I've been on, down is open, up is closed.

As to the OP's question, if the FA asked me to do something with the window shade at the gate, I'd just do it and not worry about it.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
On all of my RJ flights, the exit row window shades have remained open at all times while on the ground (and below 10,000 feet). Even when the rest of the window shades are closed to keep the aircraft cool in summer, the exit row window shades have been open.

It might be an FAA requirement, for safety purposes (visibility in case of an evac even at the gate).
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Shades are supposed to be open during taxi/takeoff for exit rows.

I could understand an FA asking for this while at the gate simply because they are seated during taxi/takeoff and can't remind people at that time. It was announced on the intercom during my last flight as we taxied onto the runway but then I was the only one who actually opened it.

It's a no win for the FA. Open it at the gate and the plane heats up wait until they have to be opened and people don't comply.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Marriott Plat HHonors Diamond
It's been awhile since I've traveled AA regularly but when I did I was informed on at least one occassion by a FA that the exit row shade did have to remain open. I assumed it was FAA policy but I don't know if the FA specifically said that or if I just assumed it.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Inconsistency rules here. My main flight connection to a hub used to be AE. Now it's American Connections. Connections is far more rule specific - including announcements that pax have know where the flight deck door is (something that I have NEVER heard referenced on AE or AA mainline, even though Connections says it is an "FAA REQUIREMENT.")

As to the shades, connections seems insistent that ALL shades are open for taxi/takeoff/landing - just like QF always does on all flights. Makes sense. As for ground stands, I have not yet heard this rule, but it oes make a little sense for ground-based evac, as previously stated.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
She wanted the shade in the position that would allow you to out of the plane.

Do doubt you have to comply with the FA even if they are wrong since they have the ability to get you tossed from the plane. No reason in this case for the FA to get testy over a casual comment about what has happened on flight after flight.

In fact on my flight tonight the FA specifically told the exit row, 'the shades need to be open during taxi/take off/landing.

If this is an FAA requirement AE must be accumulating fines at a hefty pace since it would be quite easy for them to be caught with window shades closed when at the gate.

If the FA is saying this out of convenience, and it's not a policy, then she was lying since she emphatically stated it was policy.

After the first encounter, I went back to finishing up some work on my computer, so I had no interest in engaging with her again, but she came back with the 'the captain said' line which actually interrupted what I was doing.

So she is pretty darn insistent that this is the policy, if so, the rest of AE I've experience are not complying with the policy.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
A few weeks ago on a AE flight the FA also added that the three of us in the exit row could not have anything in our hands after the door closed and until the safe to use electronics announcement was made.

I had no desire to argue so I just did it along with the other two guys.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by MtStream
...Open it at the gate and the plane heats up wait until they have to be opened and people don't comply.
I'm wondering how hot the plane gets with 4-6 window shades open. Probably a bigger issue on Mercury & Venus flights than here on Earth.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
A few weeks ago on a AE flight the FA also added that the three of us in the exit row could not have anything in our hands after the door closed and until the safe to use electronics announcement was made.
I've flown AE a lot, but have never been told that.

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I'm wondering how hot the plane gets with 4-6 window shades open. Probably a bigger issue on Mercury & Venus flights than here on Earth.
You must not spend much time in Texas!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Did she offer you a drink?

I'm asking because she may have decided that exit row pax should not consume alcohol, after all, it may affect their ability to open the door in case of an emergency.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Did she offer you a drink?

I'm asking because she may have decided that exit row pax should not consume alcohol, after all, it may affect their ability to open the door in case of an emergency.
That's a real stretch.

As many times as I've been in an AE exit row, that's never been a factor in getting a drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.