Wiki Posts
Search

"Pa Kettle, remove your bag from F"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
"Pa Kettle, remove your bag from F"

I was on this fully packed flight where during the boarding process, this passenger in coach ditched his suitcase into the bin in F. It was early in the boarding process, so there was still overhead space in back. The plane filled and some first class passengers boarded in a group of four, but there was no space for their bags. The FA actually got on the horn and said, "Passengers in coach, if you have placed your bag in the first class cabin, it will be removed from the aircraft." I had never heard this before.

The sorry sack who had ditched his bag made the walk of shame to claim it.
I don't know if it was his bag that had to be checked before take off.
You know, with all the distractions in F. Champagne, caviar, and back massages.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I wish more FAs would do that. I've never heard them make a PA announcement, but have seen some catching Y passengers in the act (trying to put carry-ons in the F bines) and directing them to stow their bags in the back.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond
I've seen this several times and, thanks to the new checked bag fees, it will happen more often. A direct result of these new fees is the OH becoming scarce. GAs and FAs will have to start enforcing both size and quantity limits or this will only get worse.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:35 pm

I have seen the opposite. FAs have put my bags in F since there was no place in the rear.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by videomaker
I wish more FAs would do that. I've never heard them make a PA announcement, but have seen some catching Y passengers in the act (trying to put carry-ons in the F bines) and directing them to stow their bags in the back.
+1. Nothing about the baggage process is worse for a premium cabin passenger who has a legal carryon than being forced either to check your bag or swim upstream to row 40 after landing.

Originally Posted by libuser
I have seen the opposite. FAs have put my bags in F since there was no place in the rear.
Once all the F pax have boarded & stowed their bags, then the FAs should be doing exactly that. But it's the FAs - not the Y pax - who get to decide that.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by clark_addison
The sorry sack who had ditched his bag made the walk of shame to claim it.

Chances are, everyone in F already had their bags stowed.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I hope you gave the FA an AAplause certificate. That's outstanding!

Usually the violators are elites who didn't get upgraded but sometimes it is Ma/Pa Kettle. I guess I'm a purist. If I'm not in F, I'd never dream of putting my bag there. Why do folks, particularly elites, who aren't in F do it?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
If the F has fully boarded (FA know how many are expected) and there is sufficient room, yes the FA will use that space, which I see no issue with. In my experience, FAs are fairly good at stopping the bin thieves from the back. Some F paxs like to board last to avoid the gate lice and the stampede but if overhead space is needed to me not a good idea.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by videomaker
And some elite F pax prefer this method:

Funny F/C story ORD/SFO - Better than IFE (from FT UA MP Nov 09)
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by clark_addison
You know, with all the distractions in F. Champagne, caviar, and back massages.
"Can I get you anything before takeoff Mr. Kurtis?"

"Prime rib ... medium rare."

- Best AT&T commercial ever, IMO. ^
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
One of the things I've never understood is why F passengers want to board first. What I'd rather have them do is guarantee I will get my carry on's in the OH if I'm elite and let me board at the very LAST minute. Start general boarding at 30 minutes out and elite boarding at 15 minutes so I can finish working on stuff in the club. The only thing that stops me from doing this is if I need overhead space...IMO a bigger benefit than boarding first would be the right to board last but have guaranteed OH space!

Sean
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:17 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by stiphy
One of the things I've never understood is why F passengers want to board first. What I'd rather have them do is guarantee I will get my carry on's in the OH if I'm elite and let me board at the very LAST minute. Start general boarding at 30 minutes out and elite boarding at 15 minutes so I can finish working on stuff in the club. The only thing that stops me from doing this is if I need overhead space...IMO a bigger benefit than boarding first would be the right to board last but have guaranteed OH space!

Sean
agreed
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by stiphy

Sean
+1. Then the FAs could also gather coats and serve pre-departure drinks without so many backups in the aisles.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Pa kettle.. r u sure

I have yet to read anything that would indicate that this is Pa kettle

If I had to guess it would be someone who flies more often than not

usually Pa (and Ma) want to be near their bags especially if there is plenty of room near their seats
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
This is something I approve of. I'd say the same thing for an F passenger who shoved their bag into several rows ahead of them. The rule should be everyone put it in your corresponding row overhead, and if and only if there's no more room, then put it where it's available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.