Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you change an Award ticket once travel has begun?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Can you change an Award ticket once travel has begun?

We have a stopover in Miami until august, on same ticket from HNL.
We were to go to BZE for our anniversary, but something happened with my family in europe and I would like to go there instead.
Is it possible to change the next leg of our stopover? I understand it would cost more miles probably.

thanks
Old May 26, 2012, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since you've already flown the first leg of the award, you might as well just call AA and ask.
Old May 26, 2012, 8:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i would see if what you want is available so that you can book it during the call if the cost is acceptable....

edit to add....this is for august?

perhaps, posting the detail of your itin & what you want it to be after the change would elicit better answers....

Last edited by clacko; May 26, 2012 at 8:59 am
Old May 26, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by onefasteuro
We were to go to BZE for our anniversary, but something happened with my family in europe and I would like to go there instead.
Is it possible to change the next leg of our stopover? I understand it would cost more miles probably.

thanks
You have an award from HNL-MIA-EZE. That is an entirely different award than one for a ticket to Europe. You need to call AA to see what they will do for you.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton

thanks
I'm assuming you want to change your award from HNL-MIA-BZE to HNL-MIA-Europe and you have already flown HNL-MIA.

If so, changes to origination and destination require reinstatement of miles and the creation of a new award.

As such, the rule is that partially used awards cannot be reinstated.

I would be pleasantly surprised if AA is somehow able to help you remedy this problem.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Yes we flew the Hnl-Mia leg. Something happened that requires me to have to be in August then. I would hate wasting the bze connection but :/

I guess I'll try calling them.
Old May 26, 2012, 1:30 pm

Yes we flew the Hnl-Mia leg. Something happened that requires me to have to be in August then. I would hate wasting the bze connection but :/

I guess I'll try calling them.
You can always buy a new ticket to Europe from Miami and use the MIA-BZE portion of the award either before going to Europe or when you return from Europe.

A date change on MIA-BZE would not incur a fee.
Old May 26, 2012, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sukn
You can always buy a new ticket to Europe from Miami and use the MIA-BZE portion of the award either before going to Europe or when you return from Europe.

A date change on MIA-BZE would not incur a fee.
I gotta say the agent I got on the phone was really really helpful and nice.
She even tried changing it for me but she said the system would end up kicking it back.
I am going to have to use some Avios on this as I want to save my AA balance for later.

I didn't know date change was free. Then I can use the ticket later on, that's good to know, thank you
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:58 am

I just got off the phone with the EXP agent and I'm a bit confused now. So I booked a return ORD-BCN, BCN-ORD on the same PNR using miles and I was under the impression that these are separate one-way awards, albeit in the same reservation. Suppose I've already flown ORD-BCN. Then upon approaching my return flight, I see a F milesaaver award that I want to get. I have to have the award reinstated since originally it's an Y AAnytime. Given that the outbound and inbound are in the same reservation, does this violate the clause "partially used awards cannot be reinstated".

My confusion I guess is whether the award in that statement refers to the whole ticket/reservation, or just the award (i.e. 2 separate awards in a single ticket)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by econflyer
I just got off the phone with the EXP agent and I'm a bit confused now. So I booked a return ORD-BCN, BCN-ORD on the same PNR using miles and I was under the impression that these are separate one-way awards, albeit in the same reservation. Suppose I've already flown ORD-BCN. Then upon approaching my return flight, I see a F milesaaver award that I want to get. I have to have the award reinstated since originally it's an Y AAnytime. Given that the outbound and inbound are in the same reservation, does this violate the clause "partially used awards cannot be reinstated".

My confusion I guess is whether the award in that statement refers to the whole ticket/reservation, or just the award (i.e. 2 separate awards in a single ticket)
You can change the return after flying the outbound. If you are really that worried, book them separately or have the agent split the PNR.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econflyer

You can upfare the Y AAnytime on your inbound to F without any problem.

I have upfared an inbound HKG-YYZ-MIA from J to F without any issue after the outbound in J ORD-HKG has been flown.

The upfare mechanism works this way -
The Y AAnytime would be refunded (both miles and taxes) and F booked with miles and taxes.

Since you are EXP, the cancel ticket fee is waived, so there is no downside to split the PNR. If you want, you can ask the agent to split the PNR but it is not necessary.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:40 am

Out of curiosity with regards to the original question. Can you make changes if destination is in the same zone and travel has begun. Say you booked LHR-ORD-LAX with a stopover in ORD. After you have flown LHR-ORD would it be possible to change it from ORD-LAX to ORD-SFO.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hindukid
Out of curiosity with regards to the original question. Can you make changes if destination is in the same zone and travel has begun. Say you booked LHR-ORD-LAX with a stopover in ORD. After you have flown LHR-ORD would it be possible to change it from ORD-LAX to ORD-SFO.
Any changes to origin or destination will require redepositing of the miles and reissue the ticket. You will have to pay $150 redposit fees(waived for EXPs).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by aglp2k
Any changes to origin or destination will require redepositing of the miles and reissue the ticket. You will have to pay $150 redposit fees(waived for EXPs).
Yeah but once travel has begun you won't be able to redeposit. So it would seem you are unable to make a simple change of LAX to SFO.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hindukid
Yeah but once travel has begun you won't be able to redeposit. So it would seem you are unable to make a simple change of LAX to SFO.
You can. I personally have not done it but I know of some one who actually changed his inbound from Australia to different destination on his return and paid the $150 to do so.

Same amount, different name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.