Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update for Elite Members (their title, not mine)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Merger Update for Elite Members (their title, not mine)

I got this from HP this evening....

-----------------------------------

Dear andrewp:

After months of planning, the merger of America West and US Airways is almost upon us, and if all goes as planned our companies will formally merge within the next two weeks. We couldn’t be more excited about this important milestone in aviation history and I want to take a moment to communicate a couple of important things for you to know as we prepare for day one.

First, I want to pass along the sincere gratitude of our 14,000 employees, including Doug Parker, Scott Kirby, Ron Cole, Joette Schmidt, and myself. You meet some of these fantastic people every time you fly with us, and I am honored to be a co-worker to some of the finest aviation professionals in the business. All of us recognize that you are part of a distinctive group of travelers that have made up the heart and soul of America West. Quite simply, you fly more frequently and pay more for your tickets, than anyone else. We value the business you bring us, and we thank you for putting your trust in us to help you succeed in your own business. Thank you for working with us for so many years.

The second reason I’m writing to you is to ask for your continued support as we implement the merger. You’ve undoubtedly heard the line from our inflight video (maybe you’ve seen enough of that video by now?) that “merging two airlines is a complex task.” Well, it’s true. Our number one marketing priority has been to create a seamless transition for our Elite members, from day one. To meet this goal, we’ve had literally hundreds of people from numerous companies working tirelessly since June on integrating our systems. We’re confident that in large measure we will be successful, and that you will be able to complete almost all required transactions on day one as easily as you do today.

However, as with any integration that involves complex information technology work and systems integration, we ask that you “pardon our dust” if, in fact, you do encounter a slightly more rudimentary process than you might be used to. We would rather be upfront with you about what we can deliver on day one, and while it is our goal to provide “one face” to the customer immediately, we know there will be bumps along the road (or perhaps “minor turbulence along the flight path”). More important, though, than everything working perfectly on day one will be our attitude and response to any mishaps, and you have my personal commitment that we are ready to respond to any issues quickly and handle them appropriately so you can be on your way.

To that end we are taking the following steps to ensure our cutover goes smoothly:
Increased staffing at our Elite desk by 20 percent starting on day one, so that when you call for assistance, we answer quickly.
For the first few months, we will still have two websites, americawest.com and usairways.com. Eventually, we will have a single website, but in the short term, continue to use americawest.com as you have in the past. If you want to seek out new flight options not available at americawest.com, then move to usairways.com.
On the effective date of the merger, we will create a dedicated Elite e-mail address [email protected] for you to send us your comments. I will personally participate in the review and response to this mailbox.
We’ve built manual back-up plans for things like upgrades, in case our systems are unable to automatically process certain transactions.
From you, we ask for three things:
First, please read and save the emails we’ll send you over the next several weeks. They will have important information to help make your travel and planning work smoothly and will answer almost any question you have about the new airline.
Secondly, look for a specific and very detailed communication regarding our combined company’s frequent flyer program, including information for Elite members.
Finally, continue to fly with us and look forward to a significantly expanded route network system and the same extraordinary benefits you’ve always enjoyed with America West.
Thank you again for flying with us so regularly, for being one of our best customers, and for your patience as we create the only airline you’ll ever need for business and leisure travel worldwide.

With warm regards,

Travis

P.S. Here’s one more tip: Continue to use americawest.com as you have in the past. Over the next several months we’ll be adding new destinations and routes available for purchase online. If you don’t see the destination you want that the new, combined airline serves, visit usairways.com to make your reservation. We will eventually be merging websites, and we will give you plenty of notice before this happens.

Last edited by andrewp; Sep 20, 2005 at 10:54 am
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Received literally the exact same emails from both HP and US. The only difference was the mention of 14,000 HP employees versus 28,000 US employees, etc. A nice email though, informing elites.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Received literally the exact same emails from both HP and US. The only difference was the mention of 14,000 HP employees versus 28,000 US employees, etc. A nice email though, informing elites.
Not exactly the same emails...I have to admit that I'm impressed that I received both emails within 30 minutes of each other AND they aren't simply a "find-replace" of US/HP within the text. Maybe someone really does read these boards... ^
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, United 1K, Marriott Ambassador
In the US board someone asked to have the e-mail address edited out of the posting of the letter due to the fact it is for eliete members only. Might not be such a bad idea in case any of us have some real questions we need answered we dont want that mode of communication getting innundated with e-mails. Just a thought.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jklevine
In the US board someone asked to have the e-mail address edited out of the posting of the letter due to the fact it is for eliete members only. Might not be such a bad idea in case any of us have some real questions we need answered we dont want that mode of communication getting innundated with e-mails. Just a thought.
Good idea... Done.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by shell nyc
Not exactly the same emails...I have to admit that I'm impressed that I received both emails within 30 minutes of each other AND they aren't simply a "find-replace" of US/HP within the text. Maybe someone really does read these boards... ^

Huh?! That's almost exactly what mine were, basically find and replace the words "America West" and "US Airways"
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Huh?! That's almost exactly what mine were, basically find and replace the words "America West" and "US Airways"
Both emails got the same points across, but there are a few style and word choice differences. For example, in the HP email Travis says he is "honored to be a co-worker to some of finest aviation professional in the business." Andrew uses the same line but refers to them as collegues. Minor, yes, but the overall tone of the HP email is more casual.

Case in point...look at the signature lines. The HP email is just signed "Travis." The US email is signed "Andrew Nocella, Senior Vice President, Planning."
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Talking

Minor, yes, but the overall tone of the HP email is more casual.
Loosen that starched collar and tie. It's hot out here in AZ.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:23 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
The HP email is just signed "Travis." The US email is signed "Andrew Nocella, Senior Vice President, Planning."
Give me plain ol' Travis over a pompous title. Is Nocella responsible for the US Airways holiday schedule planning debacle?
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: HP Silver
I'm an HP Silver but didn't receive this email. Are there any other Silvers out there who received this or was it for Gold and Plats? My email preferences in my FF profile are set to receive all emails so I wonder where they might be falling through the cracks!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tedaz8
I'm an HP Silver but didn't receive this email. Are there any other Silvers out there who received this or was it for Gold and Plats? My email preferences in my FF profile are set to receive all emails so I wonder where they might be falling through the cracks!
I'm gold and also didn't receive the e-mail. I have rec'd all other e-mails regarding merger issues, so I'm not sure why I would miss out on this one. It would be nice to have the e-mail address in case issues come up.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, MH Gold, SPG Platinum
I'm gold on US and platinum on HP. I only received it from HP. So, maybe it was platinums first, then a gold, then silver. They've done this with other emails or at least I think they have because I get the US emails a day later when it is merger news sent by both. It could just be coincidence though.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I haven't received any emails from HP, merger or otherwise. I even went into my online profile and sure enough have all necessary email notifications checked.

Perhaps someone down at Tempe HQ has gotten tired of my hot pocket jokes, breadstick jokes, and flaming their movie choices
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Loosen that starched collar and tie. It's hot out here in AZ.
Agreed!!!
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I didn't receive any emails either ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.