Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

Most important aspect of the merger: What will the new airline's call-sign be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most important aspect of the merger: What will the new airline's call-sign be?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2005, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Question Most important aspect of the merger: What will the new airline's call-sign be?

Will it be the oh-so-boring "USAirways"?

Or the easier-over-the-tounge-and-more-imaginative "Cactus"?
Old May 21, 2005, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I read somewhere that everntually the holding company will be "buying" the current US certificate and operating under that. If that's the case I would think that they would use the call sign USAIR.
Old May 21, 2005, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Since when do call signs have anything to do with certificates.
Old May 22, 2005, 1:23 am

Programs: US1
Byrd is correct call signs and certificates are 2 different things.
Old May 22, 2005, 4:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by HeHateY

Minor point, but the US callsign is still "USAir" without the "ways".

Although I have a suspicion they'll use the US callsign, I'm all for something more creative or keeping Cactus. Just because there are plenty of cacti on a route like PHL-PWM.
Old May 22, 2005, 6:28 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
If any of the US management team manage to stick around, may I suggest "suey, suey, suey"
Old May 22, 2005, 10:36 am
IJK

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Minor point, but the US callsign is still "USAir" without the "ways".

Although I have a suspicion they'll use the US callsign, I'm all for
something more creative or keeping Cactus. Just because there
are plenty of cacti on a route like PHL-PWM.
"Air US America"?

(And with the merger with AC:
"Air US America Canada"?)

Old May 22, 2005, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY

I hope they keep the Cactus. I love listening for it when I'm flying United.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:33 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
If any of the US management team manage to stick around, may I suggest "suey, suey, suey"
The problem will be if any of the US management team sticks around, someone will have to buy the new merged company after they go broke again. All US management must go. Look what they did to PI, I can never forgive them. What comes around should go around.
Old May 22, 2005, 4:12 pm

Programs: US1
Originally Posted by JRF
The problem will be if any of the US management team sticks around, someone will have to buy the new merged company after they go broke again. All US management must go. Look what they did to PI, I can never forgive them. What comes around should go around.

JFR,

That management team that you speak of for the most part is long gone...but these guys are not much better. One of the worhty ones is Deborah Thompson. She is former PI on the US management team.
Old May 22, 2005, 4:18 pm
JRF

Originally Posted by US AIRWAYS FAN
JFR,

That management team that you speak of for the most part is long gone...but these guys are not much better. One of the worhty ones is Deborah Thompson. She is former PI on the US management team.
Yeah, I just did a reality time check... not a pretty thing... Guess you are more then right... I was a lot younger then I think of in terms of years of age when the PI/AL dissaster took place and it has been a lot longer then I remember since it happened.

I wonder if WN has secretly hired some US people as they are begining their self destruct "we hate the customer" mode?
Old May 22, 2005, 6:01 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Since when do call signs have anything to do with certificates.
The two are linked... the certificate is assigned a callsign. This is why you will never hear MidAtlantic on the radio... because they operate under the USAirways certificate, they share the USAir callsign.
Old May 23, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Exclamation Yes, but....

Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
The two are linked... the certificate is assigned a callsign. This is why you will never hear MidAtlantic on the radio... because they operate under the USAirways certificate, they share the USAir callsign.
Yes they are linked, but not as tight as you're implying. The original HP(Hawaiian Pacific) certificate didn't have the callsign 'cactus'. That change was done way after America West began flying.

America West can just as easily request that the call sign "cactus" be assigned to the US certificate.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; May 23, 2005 at 3:16 pm
Old May 24, 2005, 12:51 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Yes they are linked, but not as tight as you're implying. The original HP(Hawaiian Pacific) certificate didn't have the callsign 'cactus'. That change was done way after America West began flying.

America West can just as easily request that the call sign "cactus" be assigned to the US certificate.
They could certainly do that, or put any other available callsign on the certificate. I was simply answering the question of what a certificate had to do with a callsign.
Old May 24, 2005, 6:11 am
JRF

If they don't fire most of the US management team, they might as well change the call sign to "PITT-BULL" becuase US will just come back to destroy America West as they have done every other airlines they have had anything to do with.... I still can't believe they are going to call the new airlines US... such a great oppertunity to start over from scratch.... yet another bandaid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.