Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Photo ID?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2004, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
No Photo ID?

One of the members of my party leaving on Sunday for LAS does not have any photo ID...they recently had their licence revoked, and the new licence has not yet arrived. They have never flown internationally, and thus do not have a passport. They do have their temp paper licence, a credit card in their name, and pay stubs, etc...I called HP and was told that basically their is no policy to board the plane, it's just the gate agents discression. I found the TSA has a policy for this from tsa.gov...Shouldn't the airline?
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:09 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I wouldn't take any chances with this....I don't know what to tell you at this late moment...except that he/she should've planned for something like this....hope it works out.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I wish he could have, but NY state decided when he had to turn in his licence...it wasn't his choice of dates.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 9:19 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
True...but he could've gotten a passport in the time being..he could've had it expedited....I think one can get it in 4-5 days now. They are good for 10 years and less than $100...it wouldn't even be a waste...and would get him on any airplane that he wishes.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

From what I checked, the expidited passport requires an international plane ticket...which, as crazy as LAS is, is not where we are going...
Old Jan 1, 2004, 11:02 pm

Maybe that is a requirement now....I got mine this way without any Int'l travel booked at the time....this was many years ago though. good luck!!
Old Jan 2, 2004, 12:43 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Doesnt NY State have an identity card - I know AZ and CA do - especially in NYC there are a lot of people without DL
Old Jan 2, 2004, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
An expedited Passport is also a bit over $100. About $145 currently if the US.GOV website is up to date.

Here's the quote:

>What If I Need a Passport in a Hurry? (Expedited Service: You will receive your passport within 7-10 business days (2 weeks) after applying at and acceptance facility)

Additional $60 per application
Plus two-way overnight delivery is strongly recommended. For return portion, include self addressed, prepaid return overnight delivery envelope.

Total = $145 + two-way overnight delivery for 10-year passport (customers age 16 and over)
Total = $130 + two-way overnight delivery for 5-year passport (under age 16)
Note: For states not densely populated and/or far from our Pittsburgh, PA cashiering facility, overnight delivery is not always reliable. If this applies to you, particularly if you are leaving in less than 7 business days, we encourage you to apply at a Regional Passport Agency. Whichever way you apply, include your travel date and plans on your application.
What If I Need a Passport in Less than 7-10 Business Days (2 weeks)? (Expedited Service: You will receive your passport in less than 2 weeks after applying at a Regional Passport Agency.)

Make an appointment to apply in person at a Regional Passport Agency. (See "Passport Agencies.")
Bring documentation, photos and payment as itemized under the question "What Do I Need to Do to Apply for a Passport In Person?" and expedite fee and one-way overnight return delivery or arrange will-call pick-up, depending upon circumstances and
Proof of imminent international departure (e.g. airline tickets, airline-generated itinerary).

[This message has been edited by Jaimito Cartero (edited Jan 02, 2004).]
Old Jan 2, 2004, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

The problem is not that he CAN'T get an ID card...it's that it was ordered as a restricted licence on 12/19, and we still have yet to see it...
Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:22 pm

A friend of mine lost her drivers licenses in Las Vegas while she was there for a business trip. She said there was no real problem at the airport other than receiving a very thorough security check.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 2:33 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Too late now, but if I had been asked before he turned in his license, I would have suggested making a photocopy of it before surrendering it to the DMV. He could then present the photocopy along with a copy of the license revocation order & hope for the best.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:04 pm

From www.tsa.gov :
Proper Identification

If you have a paper ticket for a domestic flight, passengers age 18 and over must present one form of photo identification issued by a local state or federal government agency (e.g.: passport/drivers license/military ID), or two forms of non-photo identification, one of which must have been issued by a state or federal agency (e.g.: U.S. social security card). For an international flight, you will need to present a valid passport, visa, or any other required documentation. Passengers without proper ID may be denied boarding.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 6:11 pm

Programs: US PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by IMStill4Travel
True...but he could've gotten a passport in the time being..he could've had it expedited....I think one can get it in 4-5 days now. They are good for 10 years and less than $100...it wouldn't even be a waste...and would get him on any airplane that he wishes.

Nope, you just pay the fee. no ticket req.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:12 pm

You run into the same problem getting a passport, though: they want a picture ID. His best bet is probably the two non-photo IDs (like Social Security card and birth certificate) route, and leave extra time.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:33 pm

There was a girl in front of me at LAX earlier this month without an ID. They directed her over to a special line at security for a more thorough check. She must have got through because I saw her at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.